“You must experience this!”

Restaurante Jose Maria
Ranked #6 of 257 Restaurants in Segovia
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We were told by a local to go here for the best in Segovian traditional cuisine. So glad we did! I was with my husband and 11 year old son. The owner came out and greeted us after we had the artichokes with egg and ham. Not to take away from the main dish of roasted pig but this is probably my favorite dish period. Sedately Spain but maybe anywhere. We all ordered the traditional roasted pig and the owner came out and cut it with a plate in front of us. Service was perfect and food matched. I have been sorely disappointed by some restaurants in Spain but this is a must!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,661)

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I ate the famous cochinillo asado for a famous 25 euro but it wasnt ridiculously good. El botin, in Madrid, does a much better job. The appetizer was good and the staff was as nice as anyone getting a good tip from a heavy bill would be, no extraordinary treatment. In all, it was OK. If you are looking for an oldtown pricey eat, then go for it.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

My wife and I have visited Segovia twice previously, and enjoyed meals at Meson Candido. However, this time (September, 2013) we dined at Jose Maria for a change. This restaurant has a much better wine list, including impressive wines from Jose's own vineyards, and a better overall menu. The roast suckling pig was great, as were the sweetbreads, sautéed foie gras, and dessert.

1  Thank Steve K
Reviewed November 6, 2013

It was my first time to Spain and Segovia was a highlight of the trip. Restaurante Jose Maria's owner was friends with my brother-in-laws family and he made us feel right at home. He was social and gracious and his signature pig dish is to die for. The entire experience was 5 stars and I truly enjoyed myself. He even started his own winery so his house wine would be top quality and it is. I'm not much of a wine drinker, but his wine is out of this world. I recommend this place 100% as a MUST see restaurant when touring Segovia, Spain.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

A meal with the sucking pig split into sections with the edge of a plate is one of the sights of Segovia.