“So good!”

El Fogon Sefardi Restaurante
Ranked #12 of 257 Restaurants in Segovia
Cuisines: Spanish, Israeli, Grill
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Try the taste of the food at this restaurant if you are close. First of all, take a look at the building and go in. Their food is high quality... it doesn't matter if you eating just tapas or a roast beef. Everything is very good. The staff is very proffessional, as well as detailed people. Price is on average with the quality of the food.

1  Thank LRdare

Reviewed November 11, 2012

we only went there because of the ratings on this website : we got very disappointed by the food there. Tapas were not good at all, very oily, full of sugar... we did not like any of the 5 tapas we tried and for which they got rewards... maybe the restaurant is ok ???

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We were recommended to El Fogon by our Spanish son-in-law who just happens to know and love good food as we do. He, in turn, had been recommended to visit El fogon by other gastronomic fellow-travellers.

Firstly, the tapas bar is quite one of the finest I've ever been in, portion sizes incredibly generous and cerveza served in frosted jaras which actually froze my beer when I left it down for a couple of minutes!! The restaurant served us authentic cochinilla (suckling-pig) and my wife enjoyed a herb-infused beef solomillo (fillet steak). Her main course was preceded with a mountainous mixed salad; mine with a classic bean soup. Everthing was brilliant, kindly advice from experienced waiters and a first-class house carafe was ordered.

I praise my Portuguese wife for her culinary virtuosity and professional attributes but this restaurant was an absolute pleasure to visit and I shall recommend it to anyone I know planning on a visit to Segovia: I certainly will make it a regular stop-off as I visit my daughter in Madrid several times a year.

The restaurant is not expensive and helpings are truly generous so I left a bigger tip than usual such was our enjoyment of the place!

Reviewed September 1, 2012

I do not like writing bad things, or rather not write at all, but It is almost impossible to find a non touristic restaurant in Segovia - the very few are just outside the bus station. Unfortunately, even though there are few locals sitting outside on the bar chairs, it is still a tourist restaurant.
The place is divided by 2: one part is "the restaurant" with white maps over the tables - looks very 80's. The "Tapas bar" is at the entrance with fabrics on the wall (from India?), TV, and a feel of a diner. The waiters are wearing ties and suits which seems wierd for a tapas bar. There was an English menu, but it was a mass till we find out there is an extra menu, which is not in English. It all took like 25 minutes till we could make an order.
The food was really basic - a salad which was a bunch tomatoes (still green!) and some uncut vegtabels with no oil, salt, nothing at all! Then a piece of fish with cooked tomatoes which seems like lying on the plate for ages... the desert: rice with milk was, however, special and a real Spanish delight. Yet, it was like a home made food by untalented cook.

The chef had the guts to write his name on the menu, and that was a big laugh. They gave us a lot of red wine which they make themselves, and it was the best of the whole meal.

All in all, I'd come for a beer or wine, but I would not recommend the food. Hopefully, they serve better food at the "restaurant part" of the place.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

Good value Menu del Dia with a different range of meals. Linked to the cuisine of the former Jewish community in Segovia.
Also do good tapas at lunchtime, though their pricing system seemed to confuse some of our party.

Mind you in the evening they tried to undercharge us and sorting that was even more complicated.