“Great location! Very good hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Salamanca Puerta de la Catedral

NH Salamanca Puerta de la Catedral
Ranked #2 of 72 Hotels in Salamanca
Tampa, Florida
“Great location! Very good hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We were a family of four. My husband and I (30s), and my in laws (60s).

Location: fantastic! You are in front of the Catedral!

Parking: the parking is NOT by any means easily accesible. However, this is because you are in the historic center. So you must feel comfortable driving in small cobblestone streets to get here, and have a good GPS. If you are going in a taxi, then not a problem for you.

Rooms: the rooms were big. My in law's room was gigantic. We booked the basic room. Now, the reason why I did not give this hotel a 5 star was because the bed was indredibly umcomfortable. I was there one night and did not sleep at all. I am used to European queens being 2 beds pushed together but these were terribly uncomfortable.

Bathroom: very spacious. towels were nice. we had a bathtub and my in laws had a stand up shower. (so if you have a preference then request) they had a good variety of products, and the hair drying was powerful.

This hotel reminded me a lot of the large chain hotels in the United States. Overall it was a great hotel! I wish I had slept better.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Lawrence, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

The Hotel Puerta de la Catedral is a wonderful place to stay. It is located right behind the Cathedral and at the end of the major walking street to Plaza Mayor. Very quiet location, but just steps away from everything!! The breakfasts were exceptional. If you are driving the hotel has parking available, but don't leave the airport without GPS!! Makes everything easier!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Pros: Hotel provided an excellent base for exploring the city on foot. Yet it was removed enough from the tourist traffic that it was quiet and peaceful.

Cons: Could have done without the spilt bed (two twins put together).

Location: On the edge of the historic center, yet removed from the heavy tourist traffic. Check out the cathedral tower tour; entrance opposite hotel door.

As first time visitors to Salamanca, we were taken aback (naively) by the large tourist crowd. They're easily avoided through. Get up early and walk the streets and alleys before businesses open up.

Best bet for "breakfast:" Granier on Calle Zamora (North of Plaza Mayor).

Best bet for "lunch:" Pick up bocadillos from Viandas de Salamanca (located on Plaza del Corrillo at Calle Mayor), then walk up to the small park on Calle Zamora for a picnic.

Dinner options? Skip all the restaurants on/off Calle Mayor. While they offer lots of good people watching, the food is mediocre to dreadful. At least the service was mostly excellent and efficient, as was the beer.

Favorite sights: Cathedral tower tour (enter the cathedral door directly opposite the hotel lobby); university lecture halls, which were in use for like 500 years; the streets and alleys themselves.

Hotel itself. We'd stay here again, most definitely. Excellent staff (helped tremendously that my wife speaks Spanish). Comfortable. Modern. Fresh. Yet on the outside, you could imagine the building had been around 500 years or more.

Tip. If arriving in Salamanca via Renfe (rail). Depart the train at the main railway station as the center city stop has no taxi service. For us the walk from the station to the hotel was not a problem due to our light luggage. If however you have a lot of bags, you could be in for a tough walk.

Room Tip: Rooms one the front (street) I suppose could be noisy. We had the back side (towards the river). Nev...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Danny b
Kstravelprof
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

This is the must-stay-at-hotel in Salamanca! Perfect location to all the major sites and yet not right in the center of all the tourism. Wonderful staff. Great accommodations. The breakfast buffet was excellent. I only wish we stayed longer. Book it!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Sleep Quality
Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I stayed in this hotel on 19th and 20th June 2014 as one of a group of 5 friends. The main advantage of the hotel was the location. It is superbly located for all ameneties. Nothing is too far away to walk to. 10-15 mins walk from Plaza Mayor, the University and Cathedrals are on the doorstep (literally in the case of the cathedrals) and the lovely roman bridge and San Esteban bridge with spectacular views of the cathedrals over the river is a mere 5 mins walk in the other direction.

The hotel itself is very nicely decorated. The room I stayed in was very comfortable and well equipped. Large screen TV (although I didn't watch it), minibar - which i didn't use only to store my own drinks but was great for that and a free safe in the wardrobe. The only disappointment was that there was no view from the room. Of the three rooms that we booked, only one had a view of the cathedral and that was if you stood on tiptoe to look over a bit of a wall.

There is a very small bar in the reception area but from my trips to Toledo and Segovia last year, I missed the addition of an outside bar area or rooftop terrace where you could sit for a drink whilst waiting for the rest to get ready. This was a minus point in my opinion. Also the breakfast was not the best. It was continental, which is fine and a cooked option was available but had to be requested and probably cost extra so we didn't bother. The toaster was incredibly slow as was the coffee maker. At 8 euros a head, I think we may have been better having breakfast elsewhere.

We had a 2 centre trip as we have for the past 3 years and I have to say our second hotel in Ávila had an equally good location, a better breakfast and was the same star rating for a much lower cost. I therefore think that whilst I have rated this hotel as a 4, if I was ever to visit Salamanca again, I would probably try a different hotel.

Room Tip: Not sure if there is a tip to get a good room as none seemed to have much of a view of the cathedral...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel in Salamanca and it is located in a nice area. However given the facilities the room prices are overvalued. Just at the arrival the receptionist (Ruth) was very helpful until another person with really bad attitude (Miguel Angel) screwed everything. Frankly I think one could find a better service in Salamanca for the price they are paying. I'm going to stay I'm this hotel for few more days and hope to update more on the pros and cons. In summary, as of now, I would not recommend this hotel to a friend.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and had a great time. The location was great, the view from our balcony was incredible and the service was good. My only complaint was that the wifi signal was poor in our room. All things considered, I would highly recommend this hotel and I plan on staying here during my next trip to Salamanca.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple