“Wonderful hotel and great staff”

NH Salamanca Palacio de Castellanos
Ranked #10 of 70 Hotels in Salamanca
Reviewed March 4, 2012

The lobby is gorgeous, the view from our room was spectacular; and the amenities were great. The windows and shutters were designed so that you could totally block out the light and all noise, or you could open everything up and just enjoy the view of the nearby church. The staff was incredibly helpful when our rental car broke down and the avis office did not speak english. They made all the calls for us - really sweet. The rooms aren't huge, but very stylishly done.

Don't get the breakfast, there are nearby places. Also, the wifi is slow and hard to connect with. Finally, make the staff park your car - the hotel parking is a very difficult drive.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed February 12, 2012

The hotel lives up to its architectural pedigree, and our room was warm, comfortable, quiet and large enough, with a good bathroom, spacious wardrobes and a safe. The hotel lacked atmosphere, in spite of its attractive colonnaded lobby area. Receptionists were chilly, porters absent. We are aware that things may have been a little quiet on the run-up to Christmas, but even so, there was a corporate feel to the place, rather than the warm that we expected from Spain. Wifi was an entirely frustrating experience. Absent in the rooms altogether, it was feebly and intermittently available in the lobby. We saw several guests using their devices like divining rods, walking slow paths, searching for a signal. If you need parking, there is an underground parking garage, but you need to be a pretty intrepid driver to tackle the narrow stepped street leading up to it. Like many garages of this type it has tight curves and plentiful columns - we parked our C5 with little difficulty since it was almost empty, but I wouldn't have liked to try it when full! The situation of the hotel is perfect - you will be right in the heart of the old city and there are plenty of inexpensive places to eat, as well as the usual choice of more upmarket restaurants.

Room Tip: The 'best' rooms are at the front of the hotel, and you are invited to pay extra for this...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2011

I stayed at NH Palacio de Castellanos while on tour with Scenic Tours in September 2011. The hotel is situated in the old part of Salamanca right where you would want to be, with the old city in walking distance. The room though small, was very clean, comfortable and stylish, and while it was situated at the back of the building, it did have a view of the old cathedral. I was totally happy with it, I was travelling solo and I did not feel a need for anything more. The breakfast was good and there was free wifi in the lobby. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We had a wonderful room with an extraordinary view! The Hotel was located within walking distance of everything one would want to do. Room service brought some great pizza. I left my expensive camera battery in the room. They mailed it for me to an address in Madrid which I received before i left the country. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for a view
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Stayed here on our first night of our tour with Trapatour, absolutely gorgeous right accross the monastery but free wifi in lobby for only HALF hour. Below average breakfast. Join Trapsatour only if you love chickens...served four times out of seven included meals!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2011

I booked a standard room at this hotel, knowing that it was on the route of the time trial for the Vuelta (the Spanish cycling race). I asked for a room facing San Pablo, hoping we could see the race route. On arrival, I was checked into room 202, one of their "Habitation Premium" rooms, we'd been upgraded and had a balcony over the route.

I hadn't booked breakfast and the reception desk didn't ask me to take it and I wasn't charged for the upgrade.

I agree that they don't promote services available to guests, only when I asked where I could buy a newspaper, was I directed to the area near the bar where the hotel provides free newspapers for guests. I sat on the terrace watching some of the race and staff attended, but didn't push me to buy a drink.

Historic building, would have been nice to have a sheet in the room, providing some information on it's background. Great location between the cathedrals and San Esteban.

Only negative, the bed were on castors on a wood floor, so it you sat up in bed against the headboard, the bed would start moving across the room. As the beds were so easy to move, it was a shame the staff didn't clean under them, we had other peoples nail clippings.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights in July. Very nice hotel, great location. Great air-conditioning in room.
Like others got the hard sell at check in to pay for room upgrade and breakfast. Not good for 4 star hotel to do this.
But as I didn't like rooms at back of hotel I did pay extra and got Duplex rooms which were great and worth the extra 20 Euros per night.
Bar in hotel had good prices and Terrace overlooked church so nice way to end the evening.
Beware pickpockets at Cathedral. I caught 15 year old boy trying to take my purse out of my bag.

• Stayed: July 2011