“The highlight of our Salamanca visit”
Review of La Cocina de Tono

La Cocina de Tono
Ranked #26 of 620 Restaurants in Salamanca
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Of course Salamanca is a beautiful city with amazing atmosphere and architecture, but this was our highlight. The taste, the texture, the creativity and quality of products - everything was excellent, we had a blast! The best quality/price value. I would recommend it to everyone, especially their evening tapas and dishes. Mmmmmm...we will definitely go back to Salamanca, just for this restaurant only!

3  Thank Kokopeli_Adventure

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Once a TripAdvisor location has a critical mass of reviews, we tend to try the top 5 restaurants in any given city. This was the reason for our visit. The service was friendly, the food and wine was great. While it wasn't our most memorable experience we were very satisfied with our evening and have recommended it to others.

2  Thank BeenThere07
Reviewed April 19, 2012

A wonderful dining experience. Creative food with great presentation and warm service. Great value.

1  Thank DBrussels
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Guys! I Have lived in Spain for 30 years. First trip to Salamanca though. I highly recommend this place. The food the wine the atmosphere. Nothing short of amazing. If I were to pick on anyhting I would say the service was a tad slow but that was a small price to pay. We had the Degustation menu.... WoW! Go to this place........Very reasonable price.

2  Thank SESAL1960
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We chose this restaurant because of the reviews we read in TripAdvisor and it certainly rose to the occasion. The restaurant is located near the city centre, half a kilometer away from the Plaza Mayor. If you're on foot, it's just a few minutes away. If you prefer going by car, there are some parkings nearby.

The restaurant offers tapas, pinchos and raciones (small dishes, called "Miniaturized dishes" in the restaurant's menu) as well as daily menus (from Tuesday to Thursday) and à la carte dishes. The restaurant is pretty small and you'd better make a reservation if you'd like having a full course meal sitting on a regular table. If you opt for some quicker "tapas" or "pinchos", you may have them at the bar.

Since we made no reservation and no table was available, we decided to stay and have some "pinchos" at the bar (although with some initial regret). To my surprise, they weren't the usual dishes you get in a typical spanish bar. Everything we had was made with excellent quality ingredients, perfectly presented and served relatively quickly by professional and very nice personnel. We opted for this choice of pinchos:
- Chipironcitos a la plancha con encebollado clásico (Grilled baby squids with onion).
- Buñuelo de bacalao en tempura (Codfish fritter in tempura).
- Rabo de toro al vino tinto con puré de patata cremoso (Oxtail in red wine sauce with creamed potatoes).
- Brocheta de solomillo ibérico con pera (Iberian sirloin brochette with pears).
- Albóndiga de cordero rellena de uva y miel (Lamb meatball filled with grape and honey).
- Milhojas de patata y bacalao al ajo (Potato millefeuille and codfish with garlic).

Even though I'm not a fan of pinchos (I always prefer a full course meal), I admit that each one of them was simply delicious and a joy to my palate. Should I choose one dish above all, I'd choose the lamb meatball or the oxtail. They were superb. The quality/price ratio was exceptional as well: we paid only 30 Eur for 6 pinchos, two beers, a dessert and a gin tonic.

If you visit Salamanca, I strongly suggest you pay a visit to this restaurant. If you can, make a reservation and enjoy their menus. I could not, but as soon as I come back I'll surely do it.

1  Thank emcrisostomo