“Don't go there, don't waste your money”

La Abadia Cerveceria Artesana
Ranked #24 of 442 Restaurants in Toledo
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and I wanted to have a very nice dinner as we were leaving the following morning.

To start with, the service was very poor, not even a smile.

We ordered a wild boar starter, vegetables with truffle oil as a side and pork fillets for the main course, all to share. Plus sangria.

Our side arrived about 10 minutes before the starter, so we had to start eating it as it was getting cold. It was a fairly small portion with nearly no truffle oil, plus the mushrooms were a bit burned. I think the price of 8.50 wasn't justified.

The starter was nice, nicely cooked, I have doubts it was actually wild boar, probably just a black pig, but it was tasty and a much better value at 6.50. The potatoes it came with were home cooked crisps but were very greasy.

The main was nice, fairly sized, came with the same rubbish potatoes. It was too rare for my girlfriend's taste, but still, both of us liked it.

Sangria tasted more like lemon coke with a dash of wine, which at nearly 10 euros is a rip off.

So, overall very poor, wouldn't recommend it to anyone, honestly wish we would've gone to El Trebol, which was cheaper and much better food wise.

2  Thank Sergey S
Write a ReviewReviews (2,207)

Reviewed August 2, 2012

I visited La Abadia in September 2011 with 3 friends and we found the La Abadia most interesting and fascinating.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We had dinner here in 2009 and enjoyed the atmosphere of the former abbey, combined with a menu that had game and fowl not found in all places.

If you cannot get a table downstairs, then I might skip it - the upstairs area is okay for tapas but not for dinner, as it gets quite busy and noisy.

They no longer take reservations, so if you want to get a table for dinner, arrive early, i.e. 8pm / 8:30pm. Leave it until later and you will be out of luck

We returned last month and had dinner at La Abadia again.

The food is good but not outstanding and the service this time was okay but not warm, as our server was quite aloof.

The prices were excellent though - We had Venison / Bacalao and some appetizers and including wine and coffee, the total for four was 100 euros.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Average food, average service. Having experienced great tapas throughout Spain, this restaurant was clearly not at the same level. The bar as you enter is bustling while the restaurant seating on the second and third floors below is quieter.

Reviewed June 29, 2012

I hardly ever write such a scathing review but spending 50 € for a 2-person lunch of such mediocre quality dictates that future diners should be warned. We chose to sit in the restaurant area and after perusing the menu for many minutes, I decided to order a tapas platter for about 12 € and a few meat tapas. The waitress discouraged this, saying that the portions would be too small to share. She suggested a meat main course for each of us (approx 12-13 € each) PLUS the tapas platter!

When the tapas platter arrived, I knew I should have stuck to my own choices. There were 6 items (salad of chopped tomatoes, bell peppers and tuna fish / migas with ham / cubes of manchego / the pork stew with tomato & peas / 4 croquetas / whipped liver mousse ). The meat came next, on sizzling metal plates. My meat was so salty that I drank a liter of water to balance it. My son's beef filet was quite large but most was fat and gristle. We both pushed aside the greasy and rubbery potatoes that accompanied the meat.

The best part of the meal was probably the 2 bottles of Coke we drank. I never drink soda pop but for this meal, I needed the carbonation to help settle my stomach. This place is obviously popular with both locals and tourists, although I cannot understand why. In comparison, the lunch menu we had at Adolfo Collection (near the Catedral) for 12 € was a miracle.

1  Thank Gigis_mum