“Ultra-Small Room”
Review of Fontecruz Toledo

Fontecruz Toledo
Ranked #24 of 44 Hotels in Toledo
Reviewed May 18, 2009

The hotel is well-located within walking distance to restaurants and all the major tourist attractions in Toledo. The facilities were modern and very well appointed.

Our room was tiny...I mean really tiny...by far the smallest we have had in years. We were also assigned a smoking room even though we asked for a non-smoking room. The reception desk was often unattended and when staff were present they did everything possible to ignore us. "Service" was non-existent. Breakfast service was comical with one person taking orders, cooking the food, serving the food and clearing the tables. The poor guy worked his butt off but there is no way one person could do all he was expected to.

We would not consider staying at this hotel on a future visit to Toledo

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 8, 2009

I stayed at the hotel earlier in February at the start of a short trip through Spain. I have passed through a few hotels as I was sightseeing and would say that this hotel is definitely top of the range.
It's really close to the cathedral and other main attractions in Toledo - though the streets are quite narrow and you are bound to get lost quite often.
I had a common room and was surprised by its size - quite big for any hotel within the historic city in Europe. Everything was spotless clean and the whole place was really very silent. There is a small grocery shop nearby, and plenty of restaurants in the historic quarter. The breakfast at the hotel is really plentiful, though it's not buffet style - you get to choose as much as you wish from the menu.
All in all, I had a great stay at this hotel and would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 22, 2008

Great location (in the heart of the medieval city, next to the cathedral), great deco and good service, but my room was quite small and very dark for a 5* hotel.
The food and wine at the restaurant of the hotel were both outstanding!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank pjeanne
Reviewed November 1, 2007

Our room was comfortable, nice bathroom, exercise room downstairs and OJ available in lobby. But, we had a mixup with a dinner reservation and it was the front desk's fault. I attribute the mistake to their not understanding English fluently, yet saying that they did and that they completely understood exactly what we wanted. (or, it could have been negligence). My husband, who used to work as a concierge in NY, says that some hotels would fire someone for that type of mistake, but it wasn't a huge deal. All in all, I recommend the place, just say make your own reservations for dinner!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank polyglot
Reviewed October 28, 2007

After driving around Toledo, an AMAZING little city, we decided to cancel our reservation in Madrid for the last night in Spain, and stay in Toledo. Found the Eugenia by chance and they had a room for 170 euros.

I just read the prior reviews and had a VERY similar experience as the person who had bad service. The front desk staff were not accomodating or friendly. They were unhelpful about parking. They didn't give us a map (the streets are really confusing to navigate. Even with a map you will get lost) or any info on the spa or restaurant. A bellhop showed us to the room but was terribly awkward to talk to and we got the feeling he was just looking for a tip. Not right for a 5 star.

However, this really didn't ruin my stay in any way. The hotel is only a year old and is quite clean and well decorated. Very classy. The bed was very very comfortable. Great linens. The room had french doors that opened to a courtyard and a tiny but sweet balcony. Room was small but had everything we needed for a night. LCD TV came in handy to watch a few minutes of the Real Madrid football game. Mini bar beers were cheap, only 3 euros.

Bathroom was amazing. The toiletries were upscale. They give you a robe and slippers. There was even a towel warmer.

The location is perfect. Its near the Cathedral. You can walk to lots of restaurants and bars and cafes and see all the beauty of this fantastic old city.

It may have been my favorite hotel in all of Spain for all these reasons. However, you can probably get a much cheaper hotel in Toledo if you look around.

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank perrystreet
Reviewed September 22, 2007

This was a comfortable, quiet, luxurious gem of a hotel. Room was smallish for a 5 star but very, very comfortable and well appointed. Bathrooms are marble and have every possible amenity. Don't expect gorgeous views or spacious grounds....this hotel was carved out of a group of very old buildings at the top of a medieval town. Location was tops, near the cathedral rather than all the way at the bottom of the hill. It has it's own parking lot which is a huge plus in this town! Considering the insane price of breakfast in most of the hotels, this one was a great value served with elegance.

• Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank carolboca
Reviewed August 15, 2007

My wife and I planned a two week driving holiday from Marbella back to London. We, having spent the night in Marbella, Granada, Cordoba we arrived in Toledo looking forward to another interesting city and a 5 star hotel.

We chose the Palacio Eugenia Montijo Hotel in part after having read the almost unanimous positive reviews of the Palacio Eugenia Montigo Hotel, but I am afraid to say that our experience was somewhat different.

Arriving at the hotel proved a challenge in itself. Ignoring the fact that the car GPS routed us to the wrong way up a one way street, there was no clear indication on the hotel website as to how to reach the hotel by car. The directions are woefully inadequate.

Upon arrival my wife went to check in and I waited by the car. She tells me that the check-in receptionist was rude in not offering instructions as to where to park the car and it was generally an unfriendly and unwelcoming .

After our bags were taken in ,my wife and I collected the key at the front desk and we were then left to find the room ourselves. We do not require special treatment, but I do not think it is unreasonable in a 5 star establishment to be shown to your room. In the Palacio Eugenia Montijo Hotel this is not the case, guests are left to wander the corridors to find their own rooms.

We came straight down from our room and encountered the first of many difficulties in making ourselves understood. It was clear that the front desk staff would rather chat amongst themselves than engage guest who were clearly lost and seeking assistance.

Whenever I went to the front desk with a question the people behind the desk seemed to be engaged on personal calls and did not either acknowledge my presence or interrupt their call. Very frustrating.

I am disappointed to have had such a negative experience considering that everyone else had such a good time, but I would say that of the three hotels we have stayed in so far this triphas been the least friendly in its welcome and we question whether it deserves it 5 star rating.

Ordered double bed, when we pulled back the cover discovered the beds had been made up as twins.

Bathroom - was adequate but in the morning when we went to shower there was only one smallish, very hard bath towel allocated per person. No tissues were in the bathroom.

Breakfast was bizarre. There is no buffet but a menu (15 Euros), it is not clear what selection you should make and when I chose orange juice, yoghurt with an egg and toast, what I received was a huge bowl of yoghurt (clearly a main course portion), one doorstep sized piece of toast and then separately fried eggs. This was served in a restaurant that was empty with a waiter who really did not want to be there, and a waitress who found it difficult to smile.

Conclusion - We appear to have been very unlucky and maybe because we started off with a bad experience we only found negatives. On a positive note, the hotel is centrally located, the town is certainly worth exploring, but this hotel is quite frankly not good enough.

Stayed: August 2007