Let me start by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and strongly recommend the hotel when staying in Toledo (specially in good weather and with your own transportation). Having said that, don't expect a five star treatment as there are some clear faults that make the overall experience less luxury than it claims to be.
I'll start with the positives:
- The hotel itself is a modern property built around the original country pavilion of one of Toledo's noblemen in the 17th century. It is located 2 minutes from the old town by car or 10-15 minutes of a painful up-and-down walk. This is by no means an issue as in exchange you get a very ample building, huge rooms and an amazing view petty much from every room and the garden.
- as already stated, rooms are very sizeable, modern and with large bathrooms comprising separate shower and bathtub areas. There is a big balcony as well that allows you to fully enjoy the views outside while having a drink from the minibar or the room service.
- staff Is eager to help, extremely courteous and readily available everywhere.
- the swimming pool overlooking the surrounding country and Toledo's old town is a fine treat after touring the city, especially during the very hot summer months.
- you can have a great culinary experience in the hotel's signature restaurant, which sadly I didn't try.
Overall, the hotel could allow for a truly luxury experience. However, there are some clear faults that I have never encountered in any other luxury hotels, and some things that could be improved:
- Beds were huge, but quality was not too high in clothing or matress.
- I had a double room with my wife and toiletries were only provided for one person. No flippers were available, and some of the toiletries were branded "mercure", as the hotel used to belong to the chain. This gives a really bad impression In terms of branding.
- Besides, there was nowhere to put the shampoo and soap inside the shower, and in our room there was no towel to put in the floor when exiting the shower or bathtub.
- While the swimming pool is great, there are some downsides there as well. No lifeguard is on duty, and there is nobody to help with sunbeds and stuff. There is a pool bar (attended by a very very nice waitress), but don't expect a wide choice of food, as they only offer a couple of salads, packed sandwiches and a couple more dishes. Hamburger was good, but was pretty much the only freshly cooked option available. A club sandwich and some of the more simple dishes available in the restaurant would give a good twist to the menu, in my view.
- finally, what I found more outrageous and weird: the reception stuff provides you with one pool towel per guest, for your entire stay. If you want to change it you have to pay 2 euro per towel (rent, I mean), and you have to go all the way back to reception to do that. Certainly something that astonished me at a supposedly 5-star hotel.
I skipped breakfast as I headed directly for the city, so cannot comment on it. It is a buffet style meal served in the secondary restaurant.
Having said this, the room rate was certainly worth the value so I would recommend the hotel. Just don't expect a real 5-star experience.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Agoda, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Cigarral El Bosque reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.