“A treasure”

Museo de Santa Cruz
Ranked #20 of 123 things to do in Toledo
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This museum houses incredible treasures from throughout Toledo's rich history. The access is incredible - it's free and you can get close to everything and take photos. It's just a couple of blocks off the main square.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

The truth is that I hadn't intended to visit the Museo de Santa Cruz. I had printed the first 10 or so things to do in Toledo from TripAdvisor, and after a walk around the city (from outside the walls), and on my way to visit the Cathedral of Toledo I wound up sitting down for a rest just opposite the doorway.
I took out my printouts and the review that was on top was headlined "pretty good for free". Well, folks if it wasn't going to cost anything, I had nothing to lose, and so in I went. I emerged about two hours later, so pleased that I had visited the museum. First, the architecture. I know very little on the subject, but was entranced by the architecture of the building that houses the museum. It did not impress me very much from the outside while I was sitting at the entrance, but from the inside, a new facet was revealed. The art collection was very very impressive. While there are more impressive El Grecos than I saw in the El Greco museum, this is not the beginning and the end of the art collection. There are several other very impressive Spanish artists represented, who I did not know of previously, each with 8 or more pictures. One word of caution, I would not visit this museum the day after visiting the Prada, up the road in Madrid.
There are other exhibits, including pottery/ceramics, old furniture, and archeological finds of the area. I was shocked to see that this museum is only rated number 5 on the list of attractions in Toledo. In my (not so) humble opinion it should be rated number 2 after the Cathedral of Toledo. And as to the viewer who pointed out that it was pretty good for free (suggesting cause and effect), I can only say that "Yes Virginia, there is a free lunch"

2  Thank Hanan B
Reviewed June 24, 2013

A nice museum with a pretty courtyard with benches scattered around to relax. Inside the building there are numerous paintings and artifacts which can kill sometime as it did for us as we were looking to do something as we had a few hours until our train arrived.

Free entrance so it's worth a visit!

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The former XVI c. hospital houses a collection of paintings and works or art. Works by El Greco attract the most attention, but there is a good collection of Spanish ceramics and artifacts from Toledan churches and archeological finds from the region. The building itself is the most interesting part, when you imagine what it must have been like when it was used as a hospital, with dozens of beds lined in each room.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

great collection of El Greco . Almost a history of late renaissance painting. Make sure you visit the Prado also in Madrid

2  Thank David F