“A Wonderful Hotel”

Hotel San Juan de los Reyes
Ranked #5 of 44 Hotels in Toledo
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Briefly scanning the recent reviews, I see that many of them have given the Hotel San Juan de los Reyes 4 stars (or 4 circles) whereas I value it higher and have given the full number of stars.

As backround, I was there for two nights in June 2013. I chose the hotel on the basis of the reviews in TripAdvisor and Booking.com. As I made the online reservation, I was told that I would be in one of the rooms on the ground floor, which I thought might not be good for going to sleep early, etc. however this proved to be a needless worry as nary a sound was heard in my room. The choice of location for my room was later uncovered as it turns out that a large busload of Asian tourists were occupying the hotel my first night and I apparently got the last room available. The next day the reservations clerk told me that he would change my room if I wanted. I didn't. It turns out that this room had a bathroom designed and equipped for handicapped persons, with all kinds of railings, chair in the shower, and a very high toilet bowl. While this was probably less comfortable to a person who is not handicapped, I would like to compliment management/owners for having a room or rooms (I don't know if there are more, and if so how many) for people who have special needs which are probably not met in more than 99% of hotels in the world. My discomfort was minimal vis a vis the convenience provided to one who needs a bathroom like that.

But my evaluation of the hotel is not based at all on the fact that I had a specially designed bathroom. First, the location: excellent for seeing the Old City (which I expect is the reason most tourists visit Toledo), although I must qualify this by noting that the Old City is not that big and so most hotels located therein have an excellent location. The hotel is mere meters away from at least four of the attractions recommended by TripAdvisor reviewers. Second the parking. An indoor parking lot under the hotel is very handy, and can be reached by an elevator from inside the hotel. While parking costs extra, the convenience is well worth the money as the automobile is not needed for touring the Old City. Third, the room itself, clean, well laid out, decent accessories in the bathroom (shampoo, soap,etc.), and the hotel is quiet, at least was on the nights of my visit, and the bed was comfortable ensuring a good night's sleep. The breakfast was good, although not the best I ever had in a 4 star Spanish hotel; the hotel does not lay out hot things like bacon and cooked eggs, although they do leave a note on the table that the guest can order these things from the dining room staff. Additionally, the hotel was not particularly expensive. I should add that as opposed to another reviewer, I had no problem whatsoever with the free wifi both in my room and in public areas. I would be remiss in this review if I didn't mention Pedro, the gentleman at reception who checked me in and who also served as my concierge when I requested information. Pedro was both friendly and professional at the same time, and I would not be exaggerating if I said that my visit to Toledo was enriched by the assistance and suggestions that I received from Pedro.

The ultimate question concerning a hotel review is whether the reviewer would return to that hotel in the future if he was in the area, and to that I say "without a doubt"

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Hanan B
Cristina E, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel San Juan de los Reyes, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Thank you very much for your review.
We will keep working hard to give our guests the best.
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Nicely located...rooms are large for Europe with marble bathrooms, quiet location, helpful staff and good breakfast included in the room rate. We booked several months in advance and feel that we received excellent value for the price (84 euros).

The wifi was disrupted on occasion -- but that is not uncommon with small hotels. What is uncommon is that management responded immediately with the right solution -- and did NOT ever suggest this was operator error!

We would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank doctortv
Cristina E, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel San Juan de los Reyes, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thank you very much for your opinion. It is true that we are having problems with the WIFI conection but we are working on it.
We look forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I had four nights in this wonderful hotel. The staff were very pleasant and helpful the room was everything a traveler needs. I had breakfast every morning I was there and it was really good I also had meals at nights there and again I could not fault them. The beer was the cheapest I could find in Toledo and the glasses were always cold. I drink red wine and this was great as well. I would stay there again if I ever visit Toledo again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank d0nt50
Cristina E, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel San Juan de los Reyes, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you very much for your opinion! We look forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Our experience during a 2 night stay confirmed the positive comments given in many recent reviews i.e. quiet, well run, good location, large well appointed rooms with somewhat ageing decor, excellent bathroom, and great underground parking (17 euros per day is worth paying when you consider the alternatives in this old crowded city). If you are arriving by car, the hotel can be difficult to find although I suspect it depends on the direction from which you approach Toledo - in any event, I think only an adventurous or foolhardy driver should plan to find the hotel without the assistance of a trusted GPS unit!

On a negative note, we were allocated a room which faced onto the wall of a neighbouring property and their windows looked down onto our room, which meant we had to keep the curtains closed (and the room quite dark) when privacy was required. Also, we found the wifi to be unusable on the evening of our arrival and neither our iPhone nor ipad would connect in either our room or in the lobby. The situation was much improved when we tried again later during our stay. Desk staff told me the problem is caused by overloading of the wifi system due to the plethora of smart devices present in most rooms these days and that a system upgrade has been ordered.

One recent reviewer was rather dismissive of the "typical european buffet" breakfast but I found the selection of fresh fruit, yogurts, cereals, cold cuts, cheeses, tortillas, etc to be generally very good and, if the bread basket has been recently replenished, try the excellent fat cigar shaped bread rolls! If buffets are not your thing, you can ask the kitchen to cook something for you (I don't think this costs any extra).

All in all, I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Bit of a nightmare finding the hotel but once there it was easy to park in the underground car park and whilst a bit pricey €17 it was worth it for ease and peace of mind. Hotel staff were excellent, rooms were spacious and good size bathrooms. It was also very quiet which was a real bonus. Our friends had no hot water and this was fixed straight away. Wi-fi available throughout the hotel. Plenty of cafes and bars around and Toledo was a gem.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Nicely restored old mill building with large public spaces at the entrance. Our room #103 was spacious and comfortable with a large window overlooking the surrounding hills. Hallway sounds may be an issue with noisy guests [some of ours slammed their doors in the early morning] but overall a quiet 2 night stay. Our rate included free WiFi, and the underground parking [added €17/day] was invaluable. We found the front desk staff friendly and very helpful - with directions, restaurant recommendations and assistance with Internet access, which we found spotty in our room [much better in the front lobby]. The city sites were all accessible on foot, though in Toledo some uphill hiking is always required. Plan your route with a downhill finish, and allow ~2 hours for the Catedral Primada Santa María de Toledo visit - the audio guide included in the €8 entrance fee is very well done. There's a pleasant park ~50 meters from the hotel were you can sit in the shade on your return with a cold drink and look out over the river and countryside.

Breakfast [included with room] was adequate, offering a selection of meets, cheeses, fruits, yogurts, cereals and breads. Highly recommend the nearby [~5 min walk] restaurant Meson La Orza for dinner on their terrace [C/ Descalzos 5]. Their fixed price dinner menu [€25] included starter, main plate, desert and a glass of wine - all were superb. Do make reservations as the restaurant as it is very popular with locals and visitors.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view toward the back of the hotel into the countryside.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PhileasFoggII
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Nice clean hotel with very unfriendly staff. Room was OK and breakfaat was
typical european buffet. Nothing special about anything. Does a 4 star hotel not furnish tissue? This hotel is neither charming, luxurious nor one we would return
to stay.

Room Tip: Good location and clean. Nothing to remember.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple