“Beautiful Grounds away from the hustle and bustle, but close to it all!”

Hacienda del Cardenal
Ranked #11 of 44 Hotels in Toledo
Reviewed August 8, 2010

We spent 2 nights at the Hostal de Cardenal two weeks ago, at the beginning of our trip touring Spain with our 20 y.o. daughter following her study abroad program. This hotel was a wonderful start for our trip. It is a beautiful old building that truly gives you a sense of the "old" Toledo, but the rooms are updated and roomy. The building enters just outside the wall around the city, but part of the building is actually built into the wall. The gardens are serene and lovely, and despite the location off of a very busy street, you feel like you are in a quiet retreat. We reserved a triple room, and even with a third bed in the room, there was adequate space so that you did not feel cramped. You entered our room and were immediately in a small hallway with the bathroom directly opposite - the hallway gave added space to the room and made an already large space feel much bigger! There was adequate closet space, which is rare in an older building. Most important in the summer, the air conditioning worked well and kept the room at a comfortable temperature.
The hotel is located a short distance (2 minute walk) from the escalators into the old part of the city, making it quite convenient. At the top of the escalators is a tourist information center - a good place to start any visit to the city! Though some might like to stay in the heart of the old town, we really enjoyed this location as a compromise between the modern, distant, run-of-the-mill offerings outside the city and the older smaller options inside.
Complaints - *You enter the grounds of the hotel from a parking area and have quite a distance to traverse before getting to the hotel and MANY stairs. Previous reviews had noted this so I knew it going in, but it really hit us hard in the heat of July! Really though, the hotel was worth it.
*There was no one around to assist with luggage, though on check-out a very nice young man who worked the early mornings at the desk did assist us with our bags.
*As for the rudeness of the desk clerks, I can only say that there was an older gentleman who was "less than cheerful". As for the others, they were very kind and accomodating, particularly a young woman who spoke some English and always had a kind word for guests.
*The restaurant was convenient and a lovely place to enjoy a meal in the garden, but the food was nothing special. The service was excellent, though the waiters were not very friendly.
All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel as long as you understand the trek to the door!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed August 3, 2010

Superb, quaint and charming 3* 17th century cardinal's palace is built into Toledo's walls. We booked this hotel based on Rick Steve's Spain guidebook and were extremely impressed. We discovered that his price guideline was extremely conservative as we were able to book rooms well under his estimated prices.
The atmosphere in this hotel is wonderful. The gardens are impressive. The rooms are large, with hardwood floors, huge wooden doors and spotless bathrooms. It just oozed ambiance.
The hotel is located at the bottom of the historical part of town. If you decided to walk from the train station it would probably take 20 minutes. A bus goes right by the hotel, but we missed the bus and took a cab. There is a carpark at the entrance to the gardens and it is as far as any vehicle can go. You have to be able to haul your luggage up a number of stairs, through the lovely gardens, in order to get to the reception. If I were 90, this would not have been possible. You are also not supposed to leave your car in this space over night. Luckily, there is underground parking nearby.
As the hotel is at the base of the historic center, all roads lead up, up,up in Toledo. We discovered an escalator immediately to the left as you exit the main entry. This carries you up into the Jewish quarter and the most wonderful coffee shop in the morning and tapas bar in the afternoon called Embrujo. The walk up isn't that difficult but when you are there in the middle of summer and it's 44 degrees Celcius, even I couldn't object to the escalator.
We spent 2 nights at the Hotel del Cardenal and were very pleased with our whole experience and would not hesitate to recommend it. My only comment would be about their front desk staff who were not the most friendly bunch.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TYandJY
Reviewed July 24, 2010

The hotel is hidden behind the city walls and a lovely garden. The hotel is full of old furniture and is very charming. There is also a patio where one can sit and enjoy a beer or glass of wine.The rooms are fairly spacious, but a bit dark (but that's usual in this part of Spain). The beds were comfy. Good breakfast. The location was suberb - just few minutes to walk to the escalators up to the historic centre.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Hostal del Cardenal is truly an oasis in the midst of an already gorgeous city! Walking through the gates, you're greeted by green trees, blooming flowers and the sound of water running through beautiful fountains scattered throughout the property. I could have spent the majority of the trip in the courtyard and been completely happy with my Toledo experience. Combine that with a charming, gracious hotel, a wonderful restaurant on the property (the best gazpacho I had in Spain!), an excellent location for getting quickly into the city and a reasonable value and the whole experience proved to be fantastic. The staff were very helpful and actually directed me to an amazing evening light show taking place throughout the city - the highlight of my stay.

One thing worth noting is that access to the hotel is via an outdoor flight stairs up from the courtyard. The staff carried bags down for me upon leaving, but there is no one to greet you upon arriving. You could always leave bags below with a fellow traveler and head into the front desk to ask for help or see if you can leave your bags with the restaurant staff if you are traveling alone while you check in. I carried my bag up and it was completely fine, but it's worth noting if you are traveling with very heavy luggage or have trouble with stairs.

All that being said, I would have carried a bag twice as large up stairs twice as steep for the privilege of staying in this beautiful, beautiful hotel! And free WiFi!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank takemeawaypa
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I stayed at the Hostal del Cardenal in Toledo, Spain on the evening of June 23, 2010. It is a beautiful and historic property, well located. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and I was able to find a parking place in the limited parking area.

What was unacceptable however was the attitude and rudeness of the person on duty at the desk on the morning of June 24th.

I had noticed a coffee maker in a lounge area the afternoon before, and on the morning of the 24th decided to get a cup of coffee there. I did not notice that a small sign indicated that coffee was not available in the morning when breakfast was being served in the restaurant. As I was trying to determine how to make coffee in the machine, the person on duty at the front desk arrived in an agitated state. He began to berate me for attempting to make coffee at a time when it was not supposed to be offered. I apologized and indicated that I did not see the sign as to the hours. He left, then returned in a couple of moments to continue yelling at me. He then demanded my room number so he could bill me for the coffee (which he did).

There was somewhat of a language barrier as I do not speak fluent Spanish (my spouse who does was in the room when the incident occurred. What I could get a real sense of was the rudeness with which I was treated. I have traveled extensively throughout Europe, Asia, and South America, so I am accustomed to interacting with hotel staff under all kinds of circumstances. I would say that this man was the most rude individual I have encountered in my travels, but that would not do justice to the Russian floor monitor I dealt with in Leningrad (St. Petersburg) in 1971. But this man was a strong second.

I expect to be treated as a guest, not as an inmate. I hope that the 5 euro that they charged me for the half cups of coffee were worth the trouble as I am posting this review to several hotel review sites.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smarineau
Reviewed June 17, 2010

This hotel feels like a Spanish estate. You walk through gates and are in a garden oasis filled with historical charm. The beds were extremely comfortable, not something you find in most European hotels and the value was truly amazing. We wished we could have stayed longer. Two minute walk to the escalator up to Toledo old center, can't beat that! Free parking in a public lot as well.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2010

Unlike another Toledo hotel rated here, this hotel has all the charm a 3* hostal can have in Toledo without the (usually) inevitable crapiness. Situated next to the magnificent Puerta de Bisagra, with Charles' V coat of arms, it's beautifully decorated with local pottery and its clean. Even for us Spaniards it's a joy to stay in such well-maintained town-house.

Drawback for foreigners: staff seemed unfriendly even for Spanish standards, as well as not very good in English, I don't dare think what polite foreigner might think of their service. Also, I think the extra 10 Euros for breakfast are really not worth it. Better go into the old part of town and go to a typical bar and have some churros.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family