“Incredible experience, will definately return!”

Hotel Cigarral Domenico
Ranked #32 of 44 Hotels in Toledo
Alicante, Spain
“Incredible experience, will definately return!”
Reviewed July 16, 2010

Our family arrived at the hotel about a half-hour before the world cup final match between Spain and The Netherlands. The receoptionist arranged for a taxi to take us to the Plaza del Toros, where everyone from the city was watching the game. After being surrounded by exhuberent Spaniards after Spain's victory, we returned to the hotel only to find everything closed. Since we had only stopped for a quick snack at a bar, we asked the receptionist if there was any food we could eat at the hotel. He took the kids out to a vending machine by the pool where the bought some snacks, and later he came up with a bunch of platters of left-overs from the restaurant. He also broguht us two wine glasses and a corkscrew for us to enjoy a bottle of wine with (we brought our own). He did not charge us anything for the service and refused a tip, simply stating that it was his pleasure to help us out.

Other than the amazing service, we were treated to very clean and spacious rooms with a magnificent view of Toledo. To boot, the breakfast buffet was one of the best I've ever had in Spain!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Florida
Reviewed November 14, 2009

Courtesy of Iberia Airlines we missed our arrival by one entire day. Avoid Iberia, AVOID IBERIA!!
Anyways, we contacted the hotel to advise of the situation so that we could change the date we would stay but they never returned our emails. They played dumb and kept our money without working with us as we had been victimized by that joke of an airline that is Iberia.
I was disappointed that this hotel would not do what other hotels would do in decency: At least reply to your customers queries.

We ended up visiting Toledo anyways but my memory of this lousy hotel will be part of my Toledo experience, unfortunately.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Toledo hotels

Menlo Park, California
Reviewed September 27, 2009

We arrived last week without reservations and secured a room on the city side. It took us a while to tear ourselves away from that view, which just got better as the sun went lower. I don't imagine that there can be a better hotel view in Spain. KD even beats the local Parador, which is further removed up the hill. The pool was clean. The rooms were adequate. The breakfast adequate. The price acceptable. In all, I can find little to criticize or to suggest that you should not take advantage of its incredible city view.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
La Manga
Reviewed August 30, 2009

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in August 2009 to attend a relatives wedding. The hotel was generally clean and the standard of our room was consistant with at the norm for a ** star hotel. The in- room TV was not tuned in to the designated channels and clearly had not been checked or maintained. Though tempretures were very high guests do not have access to the swimming pool until 12 pm.However the location overlooking Toledo provided a spectacoular backdrop and a high level of seclusion. Potential guests should be aware that this hotel is located high above the city and is accessed only by a steep winding narrow road. Our experience was that taxi trips to and from the hotel were, without exception, like terror rides with the taxi drivers showing little or no regard for the comfort of passingers.
Though we found Reception staff generally helpful the same could not be said for those we came into contact with in the bar/ restuarant. Our experience is best highlighted by 3 seperate but unconnected incidents over the 2 day period. On the afternoon of my arrival the temperature was approx. 34 degrees and I went to the bar to purchase drinks. There was no staff in the bar. After about 20 minutes waiting a member of staff who was arranging tables in an ajoining room and who had observed me waiting all that time came into the bar to serve me. I did not consider this level of service consistent with the hotels ****ratiing. Later that evening and on the recommendation of Reception staff, we went to the terrace restuarant for dinner at 20.40 hrs. We were informed that the restaurant opened at 20.00 but when we arrived the waiter told me to come back later as he was busy preparing tables. When I pointed out to him that the restaurant was scheduled to open at 20.00hrs he shrugged his shoulders. We, like other guests arriving at the same time, left the hotel to eat in Toledo. The final unpleasent experience occured on the morning of my departure when my wife and I were having breakfast before departing for our home in southern Spain. My Sister, who was remaining at the hotel with her family for a longer stay and who would then be returning to Ireland, came into the breakfast area to say goodbye. She was immediately accosted by a male member of staff who demanded her room number. Though we explained that she was not intending to have breakfast (which she had already paid for)until later with her family, he insisted on recording her room number. Though she was clearly not eating we felt forced to abandon breakfast. When I formally complained about this incident I felt it was being dismissed as a misunderstanding.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Costa Blanca
Reviewed September 19, 2008

My wife and I stayed 3 nights. The room was clean but there were several cracked and broken tiles in the bathroom. There was a small meeting room almost opposite our room that had half eaten plates of food and wine glasses left on the table when we arrived. It was still like that when we left. We had booked bed and breakfast. Our first evening we had a meal in the restaurant which was reasonable but definitely not 4 star. Nor was the service. The only "hot" food on offer for breakfast (apart from toast) was bacon and tortilla. On the first morning, both of these were only just warm. The coffee was cold. We left most of the breakfast. I expected an improvement the next morning but it was worse. The bacon all stuck together as it had been in its packaging and put on a plate swimming in water. The tortilla was cold. I asked for the tortilla to be heated and the bacon to be cooked properly as it was still raw in part. The tortilla was returned still not hot and I gave up waiting for the bacon. The coffee machine would not deliver a white coffee. I spoke to reception and asked them to make a note of my complaint. I heard nothing. The last morning we did not go to breakfast and immediately checked out. I again asked reception to make a note of my complaint and that I wanted a refund for the breakfasts. At no time did anyone contact me regarding my complaints and during the whole of our stay I never saw any member of hotel management anywhere in the hotel. I contacted the Kris group but have not had the courtesy of a reply. Totally unacceptable.

• Liked — Spacious and reasonably clean
  • Disliked — Scruffy bathroom, in need of refurbishment
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CostaBlancaTripper
Germany
Reviewed May 12, 2008

Definetly not again.
Good Location, views of the City, all good.
The rooms for the price you pay for them are just a 2-3 Star hotel.
Furniture has definetly seen better days, doors banged up, gouges taken out of them, fans dirty in bathroom, which has also seen better days. Restaurant is not bad, not to pricy, parking is free.
Not to recommend; you can go up to the next star category and get more for your money or at least what you paid for. You will not find 150€ worth at this hotel, on a weekend trip.

• Stayed April 2008
Toledo
Reviewed November 22, 2007

I celebrated my wedding there on March 22, 2003. Back then the name of the Hotel was just Domenico and the experience was wonderful. It is
a nice, confortable, friendly and clean Hotel. They serve great food and the views of the City are unique. Loved it!

• Liked — Friendlines and views
  • Disliked — location no easy acces
  • Stayed March 2003
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)