“Made my Visit”

Restaurante La Orza
Ranked #14 of 426 Restaurants in Toledo
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: La Orza is located right in the heart of Toledo's Jewish quarter, next to the Iglesia de Santo Tomé, the El Greco Museum and the El Tránsito Synagogue. Relax and enjoy a traditional Spanish meal with friends in the intimate surroundings of our restaurant. With its excellent reputation for serving new takes on traditional dishes, La Orza is a must-try restaurant for anyone looking to enjoy Castilian specialities. And La Orza's rustic décor adds a warm, traditional touch to our special restaurant. Famous faces from the worlds of politics, culture, arts and sport have dined at La Orza, as well as distinguished visitors from all over Spain and around the world.
Ramat Gan, Israel
“Made my Visit”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Found the recommendation for Meson de la Orza in TripAdvisor when planning my visit to Toledo. I believe that it was number 4 on the list of eateries, with two of those preceding it Middle Eastern. As I live in the Middle East, I chose not to even consider the Middle Eastern Restaurants and coincidentally, Meson de la Orza is located just a 3 or 4 minute walk from my hotel. My first evening I went there at about 20:00 and asked when they open for dinner and was told that they would open in another half hour, and they said they would save me a table. While they have a very pleasant terrace to dine on, I am not an al fresco diner and chose a table inside.

When I arrived, I was given the menu and the menu del dia (menu of the day); I requested the wine list. I chose the menu del dia, because it was inexpensive (25 Euros) and because the choices that it offered were appealing. I ordered a first, main and desert course (the latter after I finished the first and main), and to that they provided beverage and bread, and some toast with a tomato sauce. Soft drink was included, and I had a bottle of soda water. The food was fantastic, and so I had no guilt feelings about saving a few Euros by not ordering a la carte.

The wine list is extensive for the La Mancha area, and more limited for the more well-known wine producing areas. I found an Alvaro Palacios wine (Alvaro Palacios 2010 Camins) that I was unfamiliar with for the very reasonable price of 14 Euros. It too was excellent. In sum, a wonderful meal at a wonderful restaurant with excellent wine and extremely professional service. And so before leaving I reserved a table for the next night.

The next night I once again availed myself of the menu del dia, choosing items different from the previous night for each of the courses, adding a salad from the ala carte menu , and accompanied it this time by a Mauro 2009 Cosecha, which at 33 Euros more than doubled the price of my meal but was well worth it.

I would highly recommend this restaurant for anyone looking for a gourmet experience at very reasonable prices.

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Richmond, Virginia
“Memorable evening”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Lovely restaurant with a wonderful ambiance. We made reservations weeks ago for a terrazza table and were promptly seated. The service was attentive without being intrusive and the food was superbly prepared. We ordered the grilled vegetables and these are not to be missed. The partridge was somewhat overdone, but the monkfish was perfect. The view from the terrace during sunset makes for a memorable dining experience. Not over-priced in our opinion. The dinner with cocktails and a bottle of wine was 110 euros, including a generous tip. We would go back.

southern england
“Excellent food and friendly service”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Recently returned from a tour of Segovia, Salamanca, Toledo and Madrid and had the best food of our trip in this restaurant. We didn't have the menu of the day but went al a carte - good choices and food was delicious. Service was excellent and food reasonable priced for the quality. Would definitely recommend.

Orinda, California, United States
“Delightful lunch in Toledo, away from tourist areas”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We had a delightful lunch at Meson de la Orza. No reservations, we walked in and had a nice table outside, overlooking Toledo. Everyone else in the restaurant was Spanish, families and business people fro the area-not tourists (except us) Not only was the food very good, but it was beautifully presented. I enjoyed the "Peridz", or partridge, a local favorite and a companion had the Tuna, fresh and delicious, our third at lunch had the lamb, also excellent. For dessert we shared the "Leche Frita" or Fried Milk- it was heavenly! We were brought an unusual acorn drink at the end of the meal, Bellota, a nice touch. I almost hate to recommend this restaurant because it would be a shame for it to be overun with tourists, but for an off the beaten track spot, I do recommend it! (Just don't tell the bus groups!)

Berkshire, UK
“Great location, service and food”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Arrived to an empty terrace at 1 but it quickly filled up, very nice location for lunch or dinner. Food sensible size portions for once I,e, not enormous and all our dishes ( pork, suckling pig and monkfish delish worth the walk and s close to Museo el Greco ( that in our opinion not worth the visit)