“Don't Bother!”
Review of kumera

kumera
Ranked #92 of 417 Restaurants in Toledo
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Manzanares el Real, Madrid
“Don't Bother!”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We visited this restaurant after the reading the reviews on this website - for our anniversary dinner. To make sure of a booking, we went in at the lunchtime and reserved a table for the downstairs restaurant for that same evening and even watched the guy write it in the book after being told it was imperative to book in advance. When we arrived that evening, the girl could not have been less helpful. Despite the booking for the restaurant, we were told to either sit outside - on a very hot evening with the smokers and passing trade, or have a low table by the bar. We persisted that we had a booking, but the girl was very dismissive and in the end we walked out to find somewhere else. Despite the menu options being displayed in English, no member of staff spoke any English although we were able to make ourselves understood in Spanish.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank queen04fla

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Kumera is the best in Toledo”
Reviewed July 16, 2011

How can this restaurant/bar not be Number One on TripAdvisor? Either the other reviewers missed it or did not recognise that this is the best place in Toledo by a mile. Firstly, the lunchers and diners are predominantly local and it is clearly their favourite haunt; secondly the food is outstanding both at lunch and dinner; thirdly it is relaxed and the staff are great. My wife and I visited once for lunch and the food was so good we returned for dinner for the next two nights trying a different selection from the extensive menu on each occasion. In particular the monkfish and prawns and the grilled sole stood out, but whether you try the tapas or main dishes, you cannot fail to want to return. This is Toledo at its very best and miss it at your peril.

• Visited July 2011
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely place with lovely food”
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Went to this restaurant with my wife while visiting Toledo and found the poor reviews here to be way off base -- maybe in the past this restaurant wasn't so good? To summarise: great food with very good service at very reasonable prices. Highly recommended!

Norway
“Good food, something missing - learn Spanish”
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Not knowing Spanish I had some trouble understanding the menu - and the waiter. He tried to explain, and I ended up with veal. He might have asked how I wanted it. Raw was not what I prefer (rare would have been better), but maybe he did not bother because of the language problem. That said, the meat was really tender. So what I got was ok - worse was what I did not get. I am probably old fashioned, but I really miss vegetables (10 grams is insufficient for me) and mashed potatoes or whatever. Just a peace of almost raw meat is, well, bare. I might have asked when I ordered, but then again, the language. I am not sure if they provided it anyway.
The desert was wonderful, and the house wine absolutely recomendable.

1 Thank trekker77Norway
New Mexico
“¡que´ feo! terribly rude”
Reviewed November 2, 2009

ate here because the restaurant our hotel recommended was closed - sunday. food looked good coming o ut of kitchen. should have walked on after being rudely greeted (if you could even say that we were greeted) but it was now 10PM and time to eat. We have travelled all over spain on many occasions and mi esposa is bilingual so I know that we were not commiting any dining faux pas. The waiters were rude beyond belief. had to ask for menu - got only one. then had to ask for carta de vinos. the waiters were downright hostile. i'm not sure where the boundary between simple rudeness and assault and battery falls, but this came close. so unfortunate to run into this after being treated so graciously throughout our most recent trip (barcelona, san sebastian, bilbao, burgos) was it because we are american? no se. all i know is do not patronize this place

2 Thank RickNewMexico