Tripadvisor

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Very sulky waiter (dirty clothes, considering he’s working with food!) we ordered a plate of calamari to share, which is just as well because I didn’t enjoy - crispy while warm, but it wasn’t fresh. Main course: I ordered fish, which was burnt and dried out. However, my partner enjoyed his kebabs. We didn’t stay for pudding because the service was too slow.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (293)

Reviewed September 29, 2019

We were staying near Sardinero and were on our way into the centre of Santander for dinner when we saw this place. It was bustling with locals on a Thursday and we thought we would try it having tired legs from a lot of walking that day and rather glad that we did!

We sat on the terrace that is surrounded by lots of plants and the backdrop of the trees from the park and the lit up water fountain. We had a bottle of house red and ordered some food – to start some homemade croquetas and a salad with goat’s cheese, Iberian ham, nuts and raisins. It was huge, fresh and utterly delicious. My other half then opted for the Hake and he was not disappointed – beautiful, flaky and with a lovely clam and prawn sauce. I had chosen the grilled duck – this came out sizzling – huge portion, lovely flavour and served with homemade chips – these were excellent and reminded me of my childhood and served with a bitter orange sauce.

I have to also call out the excellent service – which was swift and patient with our ordering in Spanish. In particular, I have to commend our waiter who when we paid (in cash) rushed back to us saying we had overpaid. We hadn’t at all but he was so shocked to get a £10 euro tip!

We really enjoyed Parrilla Gines so don’t get put off by the other reviews… and so much so we returned on our last night too! This time the waiter shook my partner by his hand when we left after again a really good meal!

In general, the menu has a good range and one of their specialities (being a Parrilla) is that they cook meat and fish over a proper char grill. The portions are pretty substantial too. Wine list is good and even the house wine is excellent and very well priced.

We will return when we are next in Santander…

Date of visit: September 2019
1  Thank TravelBunny1978
Reviewed July 18, 2018 via mobile

The food and service was very good. Waiters were all polite and helpful.

The menus are in Spanish but you can request it in English.

Try their sangria!!!

1  Thank Olvine H
Reviewed July 10, 2018 via mobile

We had a lovely dinner on the terrasse.
The chuleton (1 kg) is fantastic for 2 persons. Everything well cooked.
Service very friendly
We will be back

1  Thank larschristiner
Reviewed July 8, 2018

Had a nice meal with huge portions and a lovely bottle of wine. Came in at around 75 euros which was okay. Friendly staff.