“What's The Big Deal?”
Review of Taberna Ramon

Taberna Ramon
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Canada
“What's The Big Deal?”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Went for lunch and found several tables reserved so we sat at the bar. Not a big deal, but the reserved tables were still empty when we left. While waiting, they served very small complementary portions of tortilla (quite good) and thinly sliced Spanish ham (a different kind of taste - almost like perfume). Then, a tray of dry bread was served with olive oil in pre packaged plastic containers similar to coffee creamers. We ordered two dishes: (1) a tavern style potato gratinee, which consisted of small potatoes sitting in a tomato reduction sauce smothered with mozzarella style cheese and (2) an eggplant/zucchini plate, again covered with cheese. Both were very good but no better quality than found in North American food chains. Small portions of good but basic white wine were poured at 2 Euros a glass. The total bill was 30 Euros. I feel that we can do better and that this restaurant is over rated. I realize that this opinion is not consistent with previous reviews but wish to point out that my spouse and I are not fussy or over critical eaters and that we have eaten in many countries around the world.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank Mary Lykes

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Tallinn, Estonia
“Perfect local place with delicious food!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I highly recommend this place to those who want to be in a traditional place where you hear only Spanish language and Spanish local cuisine
It is very difficult to get a free table there, because there is always many people, even on weekdays.
The restaurant doesnot offer table reservations.
But belive me, even if you come and there will be no availability, try to wait, even if you have to wait 30-40 mins.
While you wait, you may be offered a beer or a wine, as a complement from the restaurant.
All dishes from the menu list are delicious!
MUST visit in Santa Cruz!

1 Thank Jekaterina_Tallin
Warsaw, Poland
“Great food, great atmosphere”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I really loved this place!
Their food is great (portions vary from large to enormous between dishes ;) and the atmosphere of the place is just fantastic. It's not very fancy, the interior is rather a tight fit for the several tables it holds, but that's what makes it so cozy. Be aware that you'll probably have to wait for a table if you haven't made a reservation in advance. We once managed to get a free table straight away without a reservation, but that was about 10 minutes after the place opened (and another 10 minutes later the restaurant was full again).
The staff's really nice and friendly. Indeed, you won't get much fluent English from them (so don't expect you'll have a chat about what's in the dish you're ordering unless you know at least some Spanish), but they seem to understand quite a bit - or at least enough to serve the right thing and make you feel at home. Every now and then the waiters make sure you're enjoying your meal so you don't feel unattended. Paying by credit card isn't a problem here. I highly recommend this place to anyone coming to Santa Cruz de Tenerife!

1 Thank Dorothy O
London, United Kingdom
“No regrets!!!”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was hesitant to drive halfway across the island just for dinner here but after being there, I've got NO regrets!
My gf and I could not speak a word of spanish but with a little sign language and extremely helpful staff, we got our orders down. The waiter was even so kind as to tell us he was halving all our portions for us to allow us to try lots of different foods as we had unknowingly ordered enough to feed a large family!
I ordered someTenerife white wine (Valle de Guimar) for the both of us, which was amazing (I bought one home from the restaurant. The waiter showed us the bottles then poured a glass for us and after the happy thumbs up from me, he shocked me by leaving the bottle on the table (1 for each of us!). I was confused at first but quickly called him back and explained that when I put up a finger, I meant one glass, not one bottle per person. Although they did not sell that vintage by the glass, we only paid 2 euro's each for it! AMAZING!!
The food is fantastic as well. Things which is a MUST are:
1) Queso con mojos - A Canarian goat cheese, pan seared with a tasty green herb dressing)
2) Fried Calamari
3) Atun con batata - Local caught tuna on a bed of crispy shredded potatos (YUM)
4) Chuletas de la casa - T bone steak, seared medium with a garlic and roast pepper dressing (This is LARGE)
Dinner + drinks only cost us about 24 euro's each and we ordered A LOT!! and the service (even with the language barrier) was impeccable, friendly and fun.
Overall, if you are in the area, this is the place to be. Go early if you don't want to wait a long time as its a tiny restaurant.

1 Thank Wui Seng Q
Colwall, United Kingdom
“Get there early or book”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

The receptionist in our hotel recommended Ramon's to us and told us to be there before 8:30 or we'd struggle for a seat. So we were there just after 8:00 and got the last couple of stools at the bar... which was great because we could see everything that was going on. There was no language problem... there was a menu but we pointed at stuff as it came out of the kitchen to other tables and the waiter placed an order. It's fast an furious but great fun. Don't get hung up about prices... you may or may not see them on the menu or the board. Don't expect a wine list and don't be worried that they'll try to rip you off. We just said 'Tinto' and a bottle appeared... looking around it was the same stuff as most of the locals were drinking. Very drinkable and reasonably priced. Don't worry about specifying what size of glass of wine you want... they'll leave the bottle with you. As one waiter explained to a customer next to us... OK, you say you only want a glass but we both know you'll have another and maybe more. He was right too!

Great fun, very authentic and extremely fresh and well prepared food. I'm pleased we got there early but, if you can't go, anyway. Hang around with a glass in your hand and you'll get a seat...and it will be worth the wait

• Visited January 2013