“It suited my needs perfectly”

Silken Atlantida Santa Cruz
Glasgow
“It suited my needs perfectly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

I was working in the El Cortes Ingles department store 2 blocks away so this hotel was ideal for me.
In response to earlier reviews posted by others, I am a passionate non-smoker and was worried about the comment that the lift and rooms stank of smoke but I was allocated a non smoking room and the lifts did not smell of smoke at all, perhaps the Spanish are coming around to the smoking ban!
The wifi is free and I didn't find it slow at all.
I had a room on the 5th floor facing the busy road but didn't find myself troubled by road noise. i wouldn't have liked to have been on the 1st or 2nd floor rooms tho as the road is very busy
There was no noise intrusion from other rooms or the corridor. The room was lovely and spacious and clean, the bed is massive and the air con works!
The staff were helpful, albeit that I am a regular business traveller and I rarely need to speak to them other than to check in and out! On check out they tried to charge me for breakfast I had not had but it was quickly dealt with and with no fuss.
I would agree with others that the hotel is not in the centre of Santa Cruz, it's more in the business district with no typical local Spanish restaurants nearby although there is a shopping centre in the street behind the hotel with a food court where I ate every night, not exactly authentic Spanish or with much atmosphere, but as I said, I travel on business a lot and I'm only interested in getting good food at a reasonable price!
I flew to Tenerife South airport and caught the 111 public bus to Santa Cruz bus station which is 3 blocks away for €6.35.
I very much loved the lifts as they are external to the hotel and offer a great view of the port!
All in all, this hotel suited me as a business traveller but may not appeal to others who are looking for that Spanish feel!

Room Tip: Ask for what you want, I did!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank fussyfiona

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2011

the sign "hotél sin humo" in the lift must be a joke, the smell in the room proved otherwise. I tried to change rooms, but that was said to be impossible because it was fully booked. Although I later found out that at least three of my colleagues managed to change. You can't sleep with open window, unless you're one of the lucky few that are not affected by the very noisy boulevard just in front of the hotel. From the roof you've got a nice view on the refinery and internet is free (if you have the patience to wait 5 minutes for the login-page to load, and at least the same amount for every subsequent page). The service during breakfast is very fast in taking away your plates and cutlery, but very slow in serving you the drinks you ordered. I think you'll get my point....

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank petjannes
Erlangen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2010

I stayed at the Silken Atlantida recently for a short vacation. It is easily reachable from the Tenerife Norte Airport within 15 min by taxi for about 16 Euro. The rooms are nice and spacious, also nice and clean bathrooms. Free internet although very very slow. I mean: really slow. ;-)

The staff is there but not really caring about guests so I always felt like disturbing them with my requests. Some things are just strange, for example during breakfast I got to get some more orange juice and when I came back my half full plate was gone but the empty coffee cup was still there. The breakfast buffet is good, especially fresh croissants, local cheese, a variaty of really fresh juices.

The air conditioning in the hotel was set to uncomfortably cold temperatures, in the room I switched it off as soon as I entered.

To get to downtown Santa Cruz be prepared for a walk of about 15 minutes. It isn't really very centrally located.

The hotel has 9 floors with a fitness, sauna and sun terrace floor on the 9th level. The elevators are transparent and on the outside front of the building, so you'll have a marvelous view going up.

Next to the hotel there is a Shell gas station with a little shop which is convenient if you'd like to avoid the overpriced offering of the mini bar.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kruemelmonster71
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2010

Arrived after 30 hours of flying to a very modern, clean and nice hotel. For 40 Euros we upgraded to a Jr suite, which was very large and had a sitting room.
Staff very friendly---a very good value!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2010

I stayed in this hotel on the New Year's Eve. Although the rooms and reception area were clean, the hotel lacked certain soul. It is a high-rise concrete building, quite conveniently located, but rather geared for business travellers.

The reception lady was not very responsive and the restaurant was closed due to the holiday. Finally I was able to get some room service dining but the service was not the best.

• Stayed December 2009
Tarporley
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2009

I chose this hotel because it appeared to have the things I look for when travelling on business; free (or included) internet, a room where I space to work and a gym. I booked a junior suite which was OK. The room was spacious but poorly furnished, and s the hotel is at the junction of two busy roads noisy, even with all the windows closed.
The gym is not worthy if the name, they have one very elderly treadmill, one very elderly step machine and a worn multi-gym with one station. - that’s it. There is however two hot tubs and a sauna cubical if that's your thing.
The most irritating of many irritating things was the ‘complimentary’ wifi that had been advertised. There is no complimentary WIFI it’s simply a lie - there is complimentary web browsing but if you want to do anything else you would expect to be automatic (such as send or receive email via outlook for example) you have to pay. It's not a lot - €6 a day but it is the principle of being deceived that annoyed me. Even if you want the ‘free’ web browsing you need to go through a lengthy and annoying login process that involves you registering with their service provider and after several steps receiving a text message with a code on you mobile phone. This has to be done again each day.
Restaurant and the room service food was bad. I received the wrong food a couple of times during my five night stay, but I complained the second time and this was put right efficiently and politely. Generally though the staff were rude and gave the impression that they could not be bothered.
If you want an indication of my overall level of satisfaction with this hotel I can do no better than Inform you that I had planed to remain for the weekend after my business trip and explore the Island, but after a week I did not want to spend a day longer than necessary in this hotel, even with someone else paying the bill, so I checked out on the Friday and flew home. I recommend that you do not check in.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
5 Thank Business_Traveller72
Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2009

My wife, 13 month old daughter and I stayed here for 11 days and it was great! We had a Junior Suite Silken Club. The room was very spacious with independent living room. This room was at the executive floor with a free 24hr complementary coffe and pastry bar. I had a couple of business meetings while on vacation and the executive lounge was awesome. If you want to feel like in your own Condo this is the place to go. Location was fantastic, right across two Malls and el Corte Ingles... We will go back there next time guaranteed

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business