“Ask for a Quiet Room”

Occidental Santa Cruz Contemporaneo
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We stayed at this hotel by accident!! Our flights home were delayed and the airline (Monarch) ferried us to Santa Cruz and put us up in this hotel. We stayed in room 314 which was unfortunately above the club which is part of the hotel - it was pretty loud and went on until 2am. I got the feeling that it is pretty much a business hotel so would hope that it would be quieter during the week, but please be aware of the above if you are staying at the weekend.

The hotel staff were friendly and the room itself and the restaurants were very nicely decorated - the area surrounding the hotel was pretty built up so I would imagine that parking would not be easy.

Breakfast was on a buffet basis and you could each as much as you like, but although we were fed when we arrived its not really fair to comment on the food as I would not imagine that it is representative of the food that they would normally serve from their menu.

If you want to go for a walk turn left from reception and this will take you to a park and the main shopping area.

The journey by coach from Tenerife south airport took about an hour by coach.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chris3oct

Reviewed November 19, 2011

The hotel was by and large okay, but parking our rented car turned out to be a nightmare. The streets were packed and the hotel had an underground parking for only 8-10 cars, so getting a spot was like winning the lottery. I am glad that we had a friend who is Spanish because hotel staff knew none or very little English. The room was okay and breakfast okay, too. The location was great and by far the most positive thing. A very nice cafe with excellent tapas was also a highlight.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Bareosto
Reviewed November 18, 2011

No parking onsite or nearby. Contemporary design interiors (go figure). Nice neighborhood. 7/10

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Was here for a couple of days in February 2009.

Though the booking was made for two days, when I came back after exploring the island on the first night, found my room key not working as I had been checked out. Anyway, it was a misunderstanding and they promptly issued me another key.

The hotel gave a coupon for free entry in the casino in Hotel Mencey in front of it. This hotel is close to other hotels like Taburiente and very near the city centre. A beautiful park is just a couple of minutes walk from it. Being on the main road and not in the narrow street, parking and stopping the car while unloading is not a problem.

On the first day, I ate in the hotel's restaurant but on the second night, in the restaurant affiliated to it which was playing live music. Enjoyed it!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel one night to catch a flight to Madrid after staying in La Gomera for ten days. I was rather impressed as we stepped into the lobby. It had the chic look of a big city boutique hotel, but my positive feeling ended there.

We requested a non-smoking room in our reservation, however none were available upon our arrival. The slow moving and rather uninterested front desk clerk offered to have a air cleaning machine used in our room while we went out for a walk. The machine did nothing to clean the air and everything smelled like tobacco including the towels. The hotel in lovely in design and planning, but the execution left much to be desired. The rooms were a little too monk sparse with a very uncomfortable modern wooden chair and wobbley desk. Not much room to walk around the very low overly firm bed. The bathroom had unfinished tilework, tin in the ceiling cut too short resulting in a large gap, and a toilet paper holder nearly falling off the wall. To top it off the street noise outside was so loud it was very difficult to sleep. Attached bar and lounge great looking and good food with very surley service. I would NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank mbkz
Reviewed April 10, 2008

My father and I stayed here while my mother was ill in a local hospital (Candalaria). The rooms were clean and well kept, the staff were friendly and helpful, the lobby is a nice place to sit read. We spent our time there in unhappy circumstances, but we both felt that we should write it up on tripadvisor (which we both use) as the staff made our stay much easier than it could have been. The hotel's own restaurant, Macusamba, does a lovely breakfast. Also, there's a lovely friendly restaurant next door (on the right hand side as you face the hotel) which I can't remember the name of, but Scott was always friendly and helpful there, a lovely place to sit and watch the world go by. And.... they have free wifi (whereas the hotel charges!).

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Deirdre278
Reviewed April 24, 2005

I was booked into this hotle by our travle insurance company while my wife was in a serious and critical condition in a nearby hospital.

Upon arrival was given room only to find it occupied. Was informed that I was on aroom only basis and all facilities used were to be paid in cash.

Second room allocated was a twin but was spartan and in an alcove, not easily found despite it being a small hotel. (Poor signage).

General staff - bar and restaurant were genial and pleasant but one told me on third night that I would not be there more than 14 nights even if i was on the island for a year. ( Hotel policy apparently to prevent guests fraternising with staff) and he was right.

On 13th night was told to vacate room by noon next day. My wife was still in intensive care on life support.

Ok, room was clean but the common areas of hotel apart from bar/restaurant were badly maintained. Carpets on stairwell and halls/corridors were stained with an odour.Reception staff and management were unhelpful at best while other staff were great.

Was charged for use of minibar daily, yet, i hadn't used it. Never got satisfaction despite being in room during reconciliation. I was charged daily for one still water, one 330 ml beer and one orange juice which were liste don hotel inventory as two units per minibar tho' only capable of stocking one of each.

Breakfast was ok, bar food reasonable but dinner in restaurant was not reasonable. Checked into 2* hotle for reamining three weeks but what you saw you got.

Hotel Contemporaneo is trying to be something it is not

• Stayed: April 2004
Hotel Sun Holidays
Hotel Sun Holidays
#22 of 82 in Puerto de la Cruz
Iberostar Grand Hotel El Mirador

Been to Occidental Santa Cruz Contemporaneo? Share your experiences!