“Good Value - Would Recommend”

Interpalace by Blue Sea
Ranked #69 of 80 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Good Value - Would Recommend”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Now, I’m very much a 'you get what you pay for' kind of guy and have written this review to reflect the relatively low price of my holiday package. My partner and I booked through Low Cost Holidays and paid under £500 each for 7 nights all inclusive, including flights and transfers from Bristol Airport to Tenerife South.

Firstly (and most importantly for us) the hotel was very clean everywhere and our room was serviced every day.

The bar was in need of updating and the evening entertainment questionable but I didn’t fly to Tenerife to watch a puppet show so this wasn’t an issue. San Miguel was the 'all inclusive’ beer and there were about seven cocktails you could also opt for.

Bizarrely, the food was some of the best I have experienced in an all inclusive environment with so much choice at breakfast, lunch and dinner time. Brekkie options were buffet style cooked with a selection of breads, meats and cereals. I must say how impressed I was with the daily variety with even the salad bar changing drastically. I recommend the Paella...very nice. We only ate outside the complex twice for a lunchtime snack whilst out exploring.

The outside pool area was clean, offered an outside 'help yourself' drinks and food bar, we always found the pizza fresh and tasty and the drinks ice cold. There is a tennis court and mini crazy golf course next near the pool which residents can book at reception.

TOP TIP: The Hotel opposite is part of the same hotel chain and it has a nice little Spa section which you can you for free. Take a towel and go enjoy the sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi and pool. For info this hotel also has hairdressers in too.

Now, for those of you who don’t know Puerto de la Cruz is located at the North of the island nearby to Mount Teide an old inactive Volcano that looks down on the town. This in a nutshell means 2 things.

1. Puerto has a very individual weather system as the clouds are drawn up the mountains, generally its 2 o 3 degrees cooler than the south with regular rain fall. The cloud burns off in the late morning and re-appears in the late afternoon. That said here we were sat outside a bar at 11:15 at night in Feb drinking cocktails with just a shirt on.

2. Due to the moister climate the town is so much more colourful than the South so walking around the town is lovely amongst blossoming flowers, lush green grasses and hedges.

The North of the island is less commercialised so I found it easier to relax. I get easily frustrated being offered watches, scratch cards and property purchasing opportunities what seems like every few minutes in the South. Sure, you will always get the guys trying to make a living on the street but it hardly registers.

One thing the hotel seriously lacks is information on things to do and places to see so do your research before you arrive. There is a bus that goes to and from town a few times a day from outside the Hotel although we opted to walk into town and Taxi back in the evenings. The walk is a scenic one through streets and shops and takes approx 20minutes in flip flops. Be warned there are 223 steps (my misses counted them) down to the town (not in one go) but the return walk can make you red faced, especially after copious amounts of the red stuff. A cab back is under 4 Euros and worth every penny.

The price of similar day trips varies massively, so I recommend that you gather up some flyers in the town and book on the back of one of them. For example, a tour up the Volcano was priced at 40-50 Euros per person. We paid 12 Euros each which included a Volcano tour, lunch and a boat trip where we saw dolphins and small finned whales! This was part of a sales scheme which they were up front about, basically they take you to their HQ up the road, show you some German bedding for 2 hours and then you day starts. I didn’t buy a bed nor was I ever pressured to but ironically I learnt loads about sleeping properly and am considering buying some new bedding at home!

There is a cable car that goes up the mountain and I would recommend that you did a coach package that includes this.

The beaches in the area are very rocky under foot and I would not recommend bathing in any of them. Sure they look OK, but the water off the North Atlantic makes the beeches rough and with literally thousands of jagged rocks all around in the water its only a matter of time before you get injured. The Hotel pool was adequate and there was also a pay daily pool in the town centre which was 4 Euros/day and well worth the money for a change.

In a nut shell I would recommend this hotel and area. Go Enjoy.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms are always in the shade. Standard rooms face the Hotel opposite and allow you to ba...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
23 Thank DrTowel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
bristol
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Booking very late with Lastminute.com I had a choice of hotels to choose from, and all of them had a mixture of reviews. I chose the Blue Sea Interpalace, firstly because Puerto de la Cruz was my prefered destination, secondly because the other hotels seemed to have even worse reviews and finally it was the cheapest.
Deducting the price of the flight I reckon I was paying about £28 per night for a superior 5th floor sea view double room ALL INCLUSIVE. For the price I paid I don't believe I have any right to make any complaints whatsoever. But even if I had paid double or even treble that price I still wouldn't have had any complaints.
The room was spacious with a small balcony, with genuine sea views.
The bathroom was more than adequate with almost instant hot water.
The food was a revelation. Always hot, an almost embarrassingly abundant choice with a varied menu.
The swimming pool was never overcrowded and I never had a problem getting a sunbed. The water was cold in January/February, which meant I had the pool to myself most of the time.
The majority of the guests were Spanish, German, Finnish, British and old!!. There were a couple of large groups of Spanish youths staying at the hotel and they were an absolute credit. I find it difficult to imagine the behaviour of a similar number of British youths. The majority of guests on all inclusive seemed to be British, which explained a disproportionate number of Brits in the lower ground floor bar in the evening.
While I was there the entertainment was varied, and none was really to my taste, but everyone else seemed happy enough. Father Teds mime show "the three ages of Elvis" sprang to mind one night. It was hilarious, although I don't think it was meant to be!!
I drank in a several of the neighbouring German run bars, and was surprised how cheap the beer was. The Apricot bar over the road was particularly welcoming.
All in all great value, and I would have no hesitation returning there again.

Room Tip: Great views from the Sea View Rooms, but no sun!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank bittonboy
bristol , england
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We have just had a week at this hotel and thought it was very good value for money. We paid £50 per night for 2 of us half board. The room was clean and had everything we needed and was quiet.W we chose a 5th floor sea view room. The food was good and there was freshly cooked fish and meat each evening. The breakfast choices were excellent. The pool was clean and the pool area pleasant and quiet.
The hotel must have been decotated since some of the reviews as the carpets in the hall ways and bedroom looked new.
We think most of the negative reviews are very unfair!

Room Tip: choose a higher floor. Sea view rooms do not have the sun
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank retcouple2
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I and a girlfriend stayed for two weeks at this hotel. I have traveled quite a lot and stayed in many hotels , including most of the hotels in Dubai, For the price people paid I believe it was value for your money. I never smelt any drains, the food was of a good standard however it was rather on the cold side The room we had was clean the bathroom facilities were adequate the shower impressive. The cleaners did however hoover the passage ways at 9in the morning There was a free bus service down into the town centre. The garden areas were kept clean and tidy. this hotel does need some improvement . however when I go away I take in the overall experience, I enjoy meeting other guests and dont go on holiday to criitise everything . the other hotels across the road have facilities in that you can use. the entertainment was certainly better than Eygpt Tunisa etc. What I wasnt told was many people are getting their purses I did the whole caboodle this did not happen in the hotel it was in the town centre so please be aware.

Room Tip: The sea view and it is is on the cold side the view of the mountains as the sun fabulous
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank holiday1549
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed here for a week over new year and we were very disappointed. This hotel needs major changes all round, all inclusive service is terrible and the standard of all facilities are poor. The smell of damp and mould is everywhere and round the pool smells of drains. The superior room we paid extra for was dirty with stained carpets , hard beds and no facilities, not even guide on the hotel or how to use the phone. The safe handle was missing so unusable, the room was not cleaned for two separate days and the beds were not changed at all. Hot water was plentiful but the towels were so old we couldn't get dry. The corridor carpets had holes and stains everywhere. The food was OK but lukewarm. The bar was in the cellar, very dark and miserable and plastic glasses for everything even coffee! We had to go out to buy a decent drink as the drinks provided for all inclusive were horrible, particularly the spirits and wine. This holiday was expensive and we didn't get value for money at all, don't go to this hotel!

Room Tip: My tip for a good room is go to another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Linda G

Travelers are raving about these Puerto de la Cruz hotels

Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I want to be as honest as possible as I refer to reviews when booking a holiday which often influence my choice. I visited this hotel between 14th & 24th January 2013. First, this hotel is shown as 4 star but in reality just about reaches 2 star. The Interpalace is one of three Blue Sea hotels within 200 metres (the others in the group are The Bonanza & The Canarife) and this is where the problems arise. I booked an all-inclusive winter break holiday for myself, my wife and my elderly mother. All-inclusive is a joke. The pool bar is fine with plenty of alcoholic and soft drinks available on a self-serve basis. However, if you wish to relax in the evening after the meal, the lounge is on the ground floor with no facilities and uncomfortable sofas. Any drinks are only available from the bar in the lower basement which serves as the animation/entertainment area with no chance to merely relax. We visited this bar only twice and discovered that drinks were being watered down. The entertainment area has no buzz or atmosphere and I've seen better entertainment from primary school kids. We found it impossible to get an after dinner coffee anywhere in the hotel and even if we had been able to get a coffee, we would have had to go 2 floors up to drink it in the lounge. On arrival we were told we would be able to use the facilities in the other hotels, we tried that, what a shambles. They refused to serve us at all in the bar at the Bonanza and at the Canarife we found that if you didn't speak German you would be ignored, but this seems to be a common problem within these 3 hotels, they are geared up and cater for Germans only. The food at the Interpalace would not win any awards and the chef probably gained his experience in some sort of Spanish equivalent to a greasy spoon. It was unimaginative, poor in choice and only just warm - so much so that 2 of my party suffered from food poisoning (We did not eat anywhere else). We tried to use the restaurant at the Bonanza and was refused entry, but clients in the other 2 hotels seemed happy to use the restaurant at the Interpalace, so what does that say about the food in the other 2? Much of the crockery used in the restaurant was cracked and chipped and many of the the chairs were in a poor state of repair, with the soft cushions being in a dirty condition, one would assume from dropped food. Our rooms were reasonable but the carpets were, yet again, dirty and to a certain extent, tatty. The rooms were not cleaned on 2 days and on a separate 2 days the bath towels were not changed. Not normally a problem, I can manage on a 'used' towel, but the towels provided to our rooms were thin and worn out, making it very difficult to feel dry after a shower, in fact I resorted to using my pool towel. My wife is a gym participant even on holiday. The gym is actually at the Bonanza, but due to staff reductions the main doors to this hotel are locked overnight (so much for fire safety) so any early morning workout means walking across the road to the Canarife and then going internally through to the Bonanza, a workout in itself. We chose this hotel because of the advertised pools, but in reality these pools were divided around the 3 hotels. There is an indoor pool at the Interpalace, but has no water!!! The only good point about this hotel is the outdoor pool area. I speak a little Spanish and with this and the co-operation of staff speaking a little English we can normally make each other understand. This was impossible in these hotels. The second language at the Blue Sea Resorts is German and if you speak any other language you will struggle to make a complaint or obtain some services. I have travelled widely in many countries, on different board basis in varying hotels and would not recommend this hotel. Do not go here if you are looking for a reasonable AI holiday.

Room Tip: The Interpalace is sandwiched between the high street and another road, so rooms either face one or...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank DJD717
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My partner and I booked a week here in Jan 13, however checked out 3 nights early as we couldn't stay a minute longer. The hotel is advertised as a 4 star but is nowhere near that standard, in any aspect. I have stayed in many 2 and 3 star accomidation in the canaries, which I have enjoyed much beter.
The vast majority of guests were German and over the age of 60.
The room itself was OK but dated, with a disapointing view from the balcony overlooking the roof of another hotel. We had to ask for towels and the rooms were only cleaned every second day.
There was a wide variety of food in the restuarant however most of it was of poor quality. On a plus note I thought breakfasts and the salad bar were ok.
The pool bar was the biggest disapointemnt for me. It was like a delerict hut, no music or atmosphere. Everything was served from old worn out dispensers and all inclusive drinks being bottles of the cheapest spirts you could find lined up on a table. No edible snacks were available.
The entertainment at the bar downstairs was embarrasing and staff were rude and unhelpfull, unless you were German.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ikvic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto de la Cruz
Puerto Resort by Blue Sea
#17 of 80 in Puerto de la Cruz
Hotel Perla Tenerife
Hotel Perla Tenerife
#43 of 80 in Puerto de la Cruz

Been to Interpalace by Blue Sea? Share your experiences!