“Good average”

Blue Sea Interpalace
Ranked #69 of 82 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Hotel was comfortable enough, food was extensive and varied, of average quality but there was always something that would appeal. We were on a fully inclusive holiday so drinks were free but again they were of average quality, e.g. local gin and dubious wine. Evening entertainment was dire (it even included bingo:-( The really weird thing was that it was difficult to get a coffee as the restaurant only had coffee available for breakfast so you had to get it from a bar which was really annoying. 30mins walk, downhill into Puerto de la Cruz, 3.5 euro taxi back was o.k. Local fully inclusive car hire for GBP 20/day

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ColinInHants
Write a ReviewReviews (1,206)

BLUE SEA INTERPALACE REVIEW

The Blue Sea Interpalace is a lovely hotel but poorly run, hence my low rating. A lovely Scottish couple who we met are regulars and they said the place is unrecognisable from what it was the last time they were there earlier this year. I had booked the hotel earlier in the year after seeing the TripAdvisor reviews of over 4 stars. Two days before we left for our break I checked again and saw virtually every review during August and September was critical and so I guessed things would not be what I had expected when we booked.

We did not arrive until after midnight having had flight delays of over 4 hours but the check in was smooth, the desk clerk was friendly and we were allocated our room. First impressions of the room were good, it was spacious and clean, albeit very warm but the electrics are operated by key card in slot and so had not been turned on prior to us entering the room. Sadly the air conditioning never did work properly throughout our stay and the room remained uncomfortably hot. I was told that this was because the a/c did not have a chiller just a circulating fan and so it only ever re-circulated the air at the temperature of the time. Views from the rooms on both sides of the hotel are good, one is over the sea and the other looks over the hillsides and up to Mount Teide, often hidden by low cloud and very eerie.

We holiday abroad regularly, usually two per year but this was our fourth holiday of this year, (it has been an unusual year), and in all of those years I have never known our room to be only cleaned every other day, however that is what we got at the Interpalace. Odd numbered rooms on one side of the corridor one day, even numbered rooms on the opposite side the next. During our weeks stay the towels were changed once but the bed linen did not get replaced at all. I assume this is due to being short staffed out of season, however everyone pre books and so the hotel should know how many guests to cater for at any one time and how many staff to have in. What staff there were though were very friendly.

The restaurant is good but again uncomfortably hot. There is a good variety of food available although it was obvious some had been re-cycled from previous meals into different dishes. Every day there were at least two fish dishes as well as a couple of meat dishes, spaghetti Bolognese, chips and local specialities like paella and goat stew and most days a Chef cooked additional items freshly behind the buffet. The vegetables were sometimes overcooked but that is what you get when catering for loads of people and can happen anywhere. It was noticeable that as the evening wore on empty receptacles took longer to be replenished (if at all) and there was not so much variety if you decided to eat towards the end of the allotted times.

Local wines and beer are available at every meal except breakfast. There are three additional bars, one was completely closed and never opened, possibly due to out of season staff shortages as with the ‘housekeeping’, one was in the evening entertainment room in the lower basement, (again incredibly hot due to lack of air conditioning) and opened around 18:00. The other is by the pool.

The swimming pool is a good size and whilst there we only had trouble finding sunbeds close to it on one occasion although we were always there by around 09:30. The pool bar serves (actually it’s a help yourself) soft drinks, wine, spirits, beer tea and coffee from 10:30 until approx 18:30. This bar also serves sandwiches, burgers and pizza. The down side of this is that on one day when there was a massive storm with extremely heavy winds it had to close and it took nearly an hour for them to get the basement bar open. This was due to not having enough sockets for the electric plugs for the food cabinets, and previously having worked in the electrical industry I was amazed at the way they eventually coupled everything up. The British Health and Safety Executive would have had a field day because safety did not come into it. There is absolutely nothing to do if as on this day the weather is bad and you are confined to hotel.

The entertainment was varied and really the only night that we properly enjoyed it was the Flamenco dancers who were absolutely first class. However, for those who like it there was Bingo every night and a kids mini disco. These events are all shared between the Interpalace and one of its sister hotels across the road, the Bonanza Palace or the Canarife Palace, both of which you can still get your all inclusive drinks from, but not food.

It is such a shame that so much was wrong at the hotel because we actually really enjoyed our first time in Tenerife. It is a lovely hotel and well situated. It just needs running better. Someone needs a good kick up the backside to turn it back again into what our Scottish friends tell us it once used to be like.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Trevor H
Reviewed November 4, 2012

The Interpalace Hotel is OK as far as most Spanish hotels go . Its rating is a 4 star and if more of the facilities were open or there were enough sun beds or chairs to sit on at night when the ''entertainment '' was on and there were queue's for the restaurant at lunch time because the hotel across the road used it as well . The food was OK and there was always plenty of choice ,most of the food was of Spanish style which I liked and there was a lot of different kinds of fish the kind you only seen in fish tanks . The bar that is open is a wooden hut beside the pool this is used through the day and also at night where there is a small stage where the entertainment goes on and full marks to the animation team who work hard at it and almost get it right . Most of the hotels in Purto del la Cruz are 5 star hotels and it is a nice quite resort .

Room Tip: rooms are different sizes and different prices if you don't like your small room you could ask t...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

after reading the reviews we were exprcting the worst poss holiday and were pleasantly surprised by the hotel the food was superb and the rooms very clean as was the whole hotel. the entertainment was not great but there are two other hotels to use as well. you get what you pay for and as we paid so little for our break it was excellent value.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Although it has been 2 months since my visit I feel it is important to add my experience !
I would like to add to loving gladiators review who I asked to try the fully inclusive deal ! It was the worst and most dissapointing 4 star hotel I have ever stayed in !
When we arrived outside my heart sank to see what looked like a building that resembled a block of council flats ... Still I hoped inside would be better ! The receptionist was friendly and happy but not much explained to us other than our room number ....
As we walked through the building it was shabby and the landing where are rooms were located had a large worn foot long hole in the carpet ! I tried to keep upbeat and hoped the rooms would be ok ...they were very basic and the air conditioning unit was not working !
It was clean so I was relieved however the towels were very worn ..
As loving gladiator says we explored the hotel and found the bar ! The barman was making cocktails great we thought we will have one of them but we were told these were not included in the fully inclusive...where ever I have stayed this has never been the case ...we were directed to the area where a row of spirits were standing ! a bottle of vodka said 'jerk off' ... Wouldn't like to think how that was made !
It became evident over the next couple of days the hotel was not as it is portrayed .. The pool was small and everyone was crammed the sun beds were limited and many people had to sunbath on the grass area. In the morning rubbish, cigarette buts were left from the night before .....
The first morning I looked forward to the scrambled eggs and beans only to find out they were cold . On another occasion I thought i would have a freshly made fried egg rather than chancing the eggs lying in the tray ... only to be told by the lady who was frying eggs she would not turn one of the eggs over and give it to me ... I kept telling her I wanted one of the ones she was frying and she kept ignoring me ... In the end I had to be assertive and eventually she gave me the last one she was frying .with a very sour face ... I was so upset to be treated like this .... I booked a 4 star hotel ..
.I could go on but I would be repeating all the comments that have already been made ... Every negative review written about this hotel it is true ...please .don't book this hotel ....

• Stayed: August 2012
5  Thank Maoris
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Overall I would describe the hotel as shabby and not chic. It is badly in need of updating. Poor decor, particularly in communal areas. The stairs carpet, for example was very worn and stained. Not what would you expect from 4*. The rooms were clean, but air con completely ineffective and very uncomfortable beds. Our towels were not changed for a week. The staff were lovely, but they did laugh when we reported a huge cockroach in my daughters' room. The food was poor, especially for vegetarians. Not much variety, ok if you like chips! The dining area was very hot and stuffy, seemingly no air con. The pool area was small, much smaller than it looks on the pics and the 'rules' were all disregarded, which begged the question, why have rules? The life guard spent most of his time on the phone. However rules for the all inclusive food availability were strictly adhered to. Pizza, for example was only available as part of all inclusive at set times. Most odd. The advertised all inclusive snacks was my biggest bug bear. Listed as available were sandwiches, burgers, pizza, pastries and ice cream. However, a few grotty rolls, some plastic ham and cheese, occasional pizza and some dubious hot dogs were all that was in fact on offer. Other facilities on offer were mini-golf and tennis. We had fun, but the mini golf course was in dire need of repair and only five battered clubs available. For tennis only three racquets available. The beach was a half hour walk down very steep steps, not suitable for buggies or wheelchairs.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Pinkbeee
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I was really looking forward to this much-needed holiday with friends after a very busy summer at work. Although I was not expecting a luxury resort, I thought at least we could expect a certain standard of service and cleanliness from a supposedly four star hotel. Unfortunately I was wrong, and our trip was beset with problems from the outset.

The Interpalace hotel is one of three hotels in the Blue Sea 'resort' along with Bonaza Palace and the Hotel Canarife, which are across the road from the Interpalace. This is the reason the Interpalace hotel can be classed as four star, because it takes into account the facilities available at all hotels combined. However when you check in you probably won't be told about them, you'll be expected to find out yourself or by talking to other guests.

The Interpalace is very dated and badly maintained. The hotel's own website claims is has been recently refurbished, but there was little or no evidence of that.

Carpets in communal areas are threadbare, coming away from stair treads and covered in massive stains and watermarks. One of the lifts had doors that didn't fully close (potential for kids getting their fingers trapped) and a musty smell was present throughout the hotel.

Our rooms looked ok when we arrived, but dated and unpleasant smelling. Air conditioning wasn't working at all in one room and rattled but not much else in the other. We reported the problem straight away to reception, who put it on a very long maintenance list. Most of the entries, like ours, were marked A/C at the end.

Neither of our rooms were cleaned on the first day and we weren't given any fresh towels. Reception managed to give us two large towels and two hand towels between four people.

The next day we happened to have a problem with the room safe. Again we reported to reception and at the same time asked about the air conditioning. We were told that there was one handyman for all three hotels, so he probably wouldn't be able to sort anything for us that day. Unsuprisingly, our air conditioning never did get fixed. But we were given a fan for the room the day before we left.

The pool area at the Interpalace is very cramped and even out of high season there are not enough sun loungers. The pool area at Bonaza is better and we spent most of our days there.

The poolside at the interpalace is filthy and bins are left overflowing and half eaten snack bar food and drinks are left strewn around. We went down to the pool one night to sit outside and have a drink that we'd got from the downstairs bar and there were half eaten burgers and all sorts left out for the vermin to enjoy overnight. very hygienic when you're going to be walking about in bare feet the next day...

At two star places I've stayed at I've seen them jet wash the pool areas at night, but that definitely didn't happen once while we were at the interpalace. The cup holders on sunloungers were covered in dirt and grime and i found in them, on various days: fruit stones, cigarette butts and chewing gum. nice!

I didn't see anyone check the pool for chlorine levels etc while we were there, and my friend bought home a potentially sight-threatening eye infection. So swim at your own risk, or think about wearing goggles!

The food was terrible, as per other recent reviews on here. My friend Simbaland's review gives more info.

This isn't a case of being snobbish or picky or wanting food 'like you get at home', it's that they are trying to please too many different palates and not getting it right for anyone. Surely the best thing to do is cook a few simple choices and do it well, and make it look appealing, rather than a half-baked attempt at four or five main courses that look and taste terrible.

But for me the worst thing about the hotel was when there was a full water and power cut on our last day. Aside from the fact we couldn't use the bathroom etc in the hotel, it made the hotel a potential death trap.

The corridors were pitch black, there was no emergency lighting and fire exit signs were not illuminated. You could honestly barely see your hand in front of your face. on the ground floor staff had propped open fire doors with chairs to try and let some light in. Had there actually been a fire it could have been disasterous. Fire doors are there to stop fires spreading....

Couple that with the darkness, no clear route to the fire exits and the fact the carpets were baggy and a trip hazard you could potentially have had pandemonium if the hotel needed to be evacuated; people tripping up in the dark and so on. I know that's slightly melodramatic, but these things do and have happened.

It's true you get what you pay for, but this holiday wasn't bargain basement and I expect to be able to eat and drink at the hotel if i've paid all inclusive.

If you can get this hotel at a rock bottom price, are prepared to live on a meagre diet and don't mind about cleanliness you'll be ok. Otherwise, forget it!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends