“The bar staff ruined it...”
Review of Hotel Las Aguilas

Hotel Las Aguilas
Ranked #8 of 80 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Roscommon, Ireland
“The bar staff ruined it...”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Travelled with my husband, my parents, sister, brother in law and two young nieces.

First impressions of the hotel was I had picked well - , the view was unreal, the entrance was really pretty, 5 star looking. Got our all inclusive bands, very handy compared to all inclusive card and got our rooms. I was surprised that we were not all placed beside each other, the three suites were on three different floors. Didnt complain though, I was quite happy not being in a room beside my parents!!!! Couldnt fault the room, seperate bathroom, living/kitchen/diner , and bedroom. Jacuzzi in bathroom, airconditioning in the bedroom and living area. Big and bright and a terrace to ourselves.

Myself and the hubby dropped the bags and made straight for the bar. This is where that elated, 5 star, im on holidays feeling ended. I looked at the all inclusive menu - there was only a choice of two alcoholic cocktails, both very similiar, both with rum - Volcan and Pina Colada. Having stayed in a similiar establishement where there was a much wider choice i was disappointed - a couple of nice cocktails make the holiday for me! We ordered lager and made our way to the restaurant.

Overall for the week the food was ok. Lots of it throughout the day between the snack bar and buffet restaurant. Quite repetitive each day but always something to eat. Great pastries in the morning. Loved the casseroles in evening. Marinated chicken and fried pork/beef usually featured. My parents love fish, always a good variety and choice each day for the fish. Chips were usually cold and soggy and a lot of recyling went on - last nights squid-rings or veg would often make its way onto the breakfast buffet in the morning. Lots of beer, wine and fizz on tap at every meal. Juices, tea coffee etc in the morning. Restaurant staff usually friendly.

Back to the bar that night! My hubby and myself went to the bar - he ordered a whiskey while i decided on what i wanted - the barman stared at my husband....uncomfortable...my hubby then pointed to it on the menu....barman barked 'I UNDERSTOOD YOU'.....'is that everything???' Whiskey fired at my husband! I then ordered my drink...I asked for one of the two non-alcoholic cocktails and asked for a shot of vodka in it. (i didnt like the look of the alcoholic ones on offer) he roared at me - 'YOU DONT LIKE THE VOLCAN???...i thought id missed a similiar drink on the menu and i was like which one is it to him? He slapped the menu and said 'THERE!', while proceeding to get the cocktail i didnt ask for. Threw a volcan at me, no straw, no decoration on the glass (i saw other guests with sugar decoration on the glass and a straw!). I was disgusted at how we were treated, especially since we were not one bit rude, haughty etc, ive worked in food service and am in customer service so i know how to treat people and how i like to be treated. I saw him a day later do the same to my father, just because he didnt place his order all in one go. One other barman was a little too sarcastic for my liking, but the rest were lovely. The rude guy was only on for one other night, so our cocktails were served as per normal for the rest of the week.
The bar/entertainment area was laid out very badly for viewing the entertainment (or lack of it). Not enough seats in the middle - the seats to the side you couldnt see from. Its not the most atmospheric bar ive been in, probably to stop people from drinking too much. More often than not we had to resort to cards or checkers to keep ourselves amused.

Pools were the best ive seen. Two adult and one childrens. Lovely and quiet, plenty of room for sunloungers. The pool away from the hotel was the best. Lovely views.

Would be good if the reception would give out directions - a little hotel map as to where everything is and what happens - apparently there was a barbeque going on near the bar, and id never heard about it. A little difficult to find the back pool also.

I really would not recommend this hotel for english speakers, this hotel is frequented by germans, spaniards, canarians more. They seem to be greeted and regarded more warmly by all staff. Perhaps a little prejudice exists against english speaking people. It's a rotten feeling being judged because of the reputations or those that may not be even from your own country. And we certainIy didnt live up to our reputation - we drank next to nothing. We were respectful and quiet. I got the impression that if one wasn't all inclusive you would be regarded more highly also. The entertainment staff were by far the friendliest we had met in the hotel, lovely people. The housekeeping staff who looked after the cleaning of our room and receptionists were lovely too.

Im glad I came with my family, we'd be very isolated for the week. The entertainment staff didnt know that Ireland is a country in itself so maybe that is an indication of the amount of Irish that visit. An english family landed a day before we left but there was no-one else all week that were from Ireland/England.

Shuttle bus handy for going into town, you would never walk it as its too far. Would never book a hotel so high and far away again. Get a taxi to shopping centre across the road, great clothes shops. Loro Parque a must see too.

I won't be back nor would i recommend it to anyone I know. It'd be a shorter and better review....but the bar staff ruined it!

Room Tip: Not on the ground floor, try to get a sea view up high.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
16 Thank niktit
, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Las Aguilas, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear Guest,
We would like to express our most sincere apologies for the deficiencies in the service and especially our inability to provide you full satisfaction during your stay at Hotel las Águilas.

The issues you have mentioned will be thoroughly analyzed and taken into account since we are very much concerned about the service quality we offer to our guests.

We wish we could have in future the opportunity to demonstrate you our improvements.

Hotel las Águilas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Bradford
Reviewed June 27, 2012

The hotel room was nice, spacious and clean, the double bed is just two beds together. The jacuzzi bath was a nice touch (not used much though) however the water pressure was the norm for Spain! The TV is old, and there is only one English channel, but you're not really there to watch the TV. We had the mountain view, but on the ground floor, so a view of the car park.
The food is ok, and I am very picky. I could eat something every meal. The food was a little repetative, and I think catered to the Spanish and Germans. Snack food is not the greatest. Staff were ok, but i think a little a more attentive to the non All Inclusive guests.
2 big pools and 1 tiny kids pool. Enough loungers around, with pool furthest away the quieter. Lovely views of the area.
Entertainment was hit and miss. The keyboard players might as well have just put a CD on, but the other shows were ok.

So overall a good hotel, some little extras required to make it better:
A bottle of free water when you arrive (we arrived late and had to drink a warm bottle of expensive water left on the side)
Free security deposit box
Another bar near the big pool.
Stage lifted up so people a the back could see.
Give out 'car park view' room last (ground floor)
Improve sound proofing to rooms (bad luck if you have a noisy early riser above you!)

Top tip for the Airport: make sure you buy everything before you get there, everything is expensive there, including the so called Duty Free

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JPHBradford
, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Las Aguilas, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for taking your time to write about your last stay at Hotel las Águilas. It is very important for us to know your evaluation and impressions which help us to improve the service continuously.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and we would ne grateful to welcome you again in future.

dundee scotland
Reviewed June 22, 2012

ok here goes me & my wife & our two friends went to tenerife & visited this hotel it was brill yes loads of germans but so what spains full of spanish as well & to be honest they are ignorant both german & canarians however back to the hotel 3 pools big dining hall great food & if people moan about it stay in the uk again the usual stuff chicken fish loads of veg salad stuff etc i read someone moaned about the tv being old (good grief) rooms very big spacious bathrooms jacuzzi baths in fact mmm so there staff are ok if u speak they speak simple dosent hurt to say gracias & all that the restaurant has a rule at night male diners have to wear long trousers women dont so when the ladies walk in & have short skirts on & skimpy tops it seems to be ok other things the hotel is on a hill so get taxis into puerto de la cruz or there is a free bus the hotel lays on rooms dead clean we had a broken chair on terrace i told reception in mins they were replaced brill its the usual adage u cant please everyone never will just go on hols enjoy the stay dont moan enjoy the sunny shine i thank you

Room Tip: em lets see our room 102 faced up to teide & we were on ground floor still got a great view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank dartschamp
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for your positive comments and evaluation about your last stay at Hotel las Águilas. It is very important for us to know your evaluation and impressions which help us to improve the service continuously.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and we would be grateful to welcome you again in future.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

Just been back from some very relaxed holidays. The best about the hotel is the excelent view to the sea which allowed me and my partner to relax. However Other important facts led us down. The room: being a 4 star hotel room seemed to be quite old fashioned, not to mention the really old televisión we had. However te bathroom was big and jacuzzi excelent. The cleaning was good and tidy. The pools were not at heated which obviously did affect Our holidays. However which disspointed me a lot a must say was the restaurant staff. The only one to greet u with a smile was the manager, once you were in the restaurant the staff would not even smile or look at you once. They seemed so be very busy joking and speaking among themselves. They would even take the plate off you table without looking at you. This really disspointed us.
The food was good and so was the variety. There was a lack of entertainment and the few shows we atended were Average.

• Stayed May 2012
7 Thank Voyager127
Lee, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed at the Las Aguilas for 9 nights from 3rd April until the 12th and enjoyed the whole holiday except the weather, quite a bit of rain but still came home with a good tan.
The hotel is very clean, staff good but some could be quiet so try talking to them with a bit of Spanish they do appreciate you trying. Food was very good and varied but breakfast food could on occasion be on the cool side.
Rooms were very big and yes they have jaccousi corner baths.
We were given a ground floor room No 14 which was great as not only do you have the same space as the balconies above you but you also get a large patio with table and chairs and also sunbeds, a garden gate which leads to your own path out onto the duck pond and the daytime bar just to your right what could be better, only No 12 also had a gate.
The Views are spectacular as you are literally on top of a hill, be warned you need a car but to get to the town there is the free bus.
Would we go again definitely YES.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view loose the sunlight about 1pm in April and rooms on the main entrance side hav...
10 Thank ElmetSceen
Shropshire
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We have just returned from a week's holiday at this hotel and had a thoroughly relaxing week.
I travelled with my husband and two daughters - aged 14 and 15 yrs.

Rooms - we had booked 2 promotional rooms which having read the reviews we knew exactly what to expect and were OK with that - when we arrived we were given a fabulous family room with 2 huge bedrooms, 2 big bathrooms and a lovely lounge. We also had a fabulous terrace with sunbeds and table and chairs. The rooms were quiet and beautifully clean.

Hotel itself - the grounds and pool areas are really pretty and well-maintained. The views from the terraces are spectacular as it is on top of a hill. We did find that quite often the hotel was in cloud due to it's height but the cloud was bright and warm and you could still tan yourself.
The hotel runs a free shuttle bus into Puerto De la Cruz 6 times a day which we used most days - the service was well-run and a real bonus due to the location of the hotel.

Food - the food was very very varied and we ate well at every meal. A beautiful selection of fish and seafood at every meal. Yes, the food was geared towards the Spanish guests a little more than English - but that was fine by us!

Wine - our all-inclusive package meant that all beverages were also included. The wine in the restaurant was most acceptable( and we are quite choosy with our wines) the selection of wines,cava, beer,cocktails and spirits and liqueurs was very good.

Staff - we found all the staff to be very pleasant and polite and helpful. This hotel had very few English visitors at the time we stayed but we were made to feel as welcome as every other visitor.

Entertainment - I have to admit that the entertainment was not really our cup of tea - it was geared more to the Spanish audience - so we just chose to eat later and take our time!

WiFi - we got caught out with this and paid 20 euros for "a week" - which we then found out was 168 hours of WiFi use. My tip is to buy 24hours for 5 Euros - this does not mean 1 day but 24 hours of use throughout your stay.

We thought this was a lovely hotel and would stay here again.

13 Thank Slabnose
Fareham
Reviewed April 10, 2012

The room originally allocated was as described by other hotel guests on other review sites. I was assured that our room was not in this category, but it was. On the ground floor, and next to the car park. Lots of noise, a dark room, and of course no view. Paid 15 Euro per day for an upgrade to a room on the other side of the building (facing the sea). Much better room, and a better state of repair. (The shower head in the previous room would not stay in position as the fixing screw was loose on the bracket. The bathroom also smelt of drains.).

Noise from other guests could be a problem. Children running up and down the corridor, the walls were paper thin, and other guests moving furniture around on the hard floors made a lot of noise.

One English TV channel - Sky news.

Food selection was good, but again, as reported on other review sites, the hot food is only luke warm. The cakes for dessert were nearly all artificial cream, so cannot be recommended. The ice cream was good (a selection of 4), but parents allowed children to help themselves and make a mess - not very hygienic. In fact, this was a big problem some evenings - small children helping themselves to the buffet, with no adult supervision. There were lukewarm items for breakfast, but the sausages were frankfurter type, and the baked beans were aweful.

Entertainment varied. Two acts who did not really played to the audience, but worked to a set list, irrespective of audience reaction. Others OK, except one night there was only bingo.

Although there was plenty of car parking space, but could be a problem at times.

Tip - If you need Internet access, ask for 24 hours at 5 Euro. This is 24 hours in total, for up to a month. Not 1 day. Best wifi reception is near reception (no pun intended). In theory, supposed to be able to access from sea-facing rooms as well, but not so reliable.

Room Tip: Top floor (to avoid noise from guests above moving furniture and walking on the hard floor), end of...
7 Thank Kvukwt