“Great hotel”

Ranked #9 of 80 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Klaipeda, Lithuania
“Great hotel”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We enjoyed staying in this hotel. Rooms are spacious, so are balconies. Hotel is on a hill, so sea view is a must. Hotel provises a free bus shuttle to Puerto de la Cruz, which is nice. Cross the road is huge shopping mall, but hard to et there by foot. Breakfast was delicious. The only down side is the weather - there are clouds all the time. But for those, who has a car or doesn't like when it's hot this might be a plus. Allmost forgot - u get a kichen in your room, but there is nothing else (no plates, knives, kettles...). THe staff was helpful and friendly. We liked this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a sea view.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Dalli999

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2011

hotel great, food great, rooms great, staff great, we had a really fantastic family holiday here. We have no complaints worth every penny.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank m0ba
Dover, Kent
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Just got back for our hols at the Hotel Las Aguilas Peurto De La Cruz. Spent a week here all inclusive 9 Aug - 17 Aug 2011 and had a lovely time with the missus and two kids 12yr boy and 14 yr old girl. We arrived at about 3am and was meet at reception by and English speaking receptionist (read some reviews about none of the staff speaking English - they all speak English very well), he booked us in no problems at all very friendly and helpful as we found all the reception staff. As we arrived so late they put on a plate of cold meats and salads for all of us and a couple of bottles of water - I checked the beer pumps and they were still on so I helped my self to a lovely cold pint of larger! - we all thought this was very nice of them and was very much appreciated. We found the food there excellent, if you like fish your in for a treat as every day they had a chef on the hot plate cooking all sorts of fresh fish and alternated days with chicken and pork as well. In the outside bar throughout the day you can help yourself to chips, pizza, hotdogs, burgers, squid rings etc... and at tea time before the main restaurant opened they put out cakes and sandwiches in the main bar. Our room was not a sea view and this didn't concern us at all as we only used the room to sleep in and get ready so we didn't spend much time in there however in was immaculately clean every day and the Jacuzzi is a nice touch! The rooms are quite noisy from about 0900 -0930 onward but this is OK, they all have air con at no extra charge and safety box for a few euros, the TV has a couple of English channels if your interested but we weren't. The some of the bar staff I found a miserable and seemed a bit more friendly to the Spanish and my missus! lol! We were the only English people there for a few days then there was only us and another family, the hotel was 98% Spanish was is fine, the pools are excellent we never had any trouble getting sun beds and the pools are never overcrowded, they ran aqua aerobics for an hour every day and there was loads for kids to do, the sports rep spoke good English and was very friendly. Now here's the catch! the first two days the weather was excellent - could not be better in fact but after that is was at best ok, we spent a day here cold and a couple of days warm but quite cloudy with some fairly good sunny spells. We did go to Los Cristianos on the bus (60 euros return for family of 4 and 1 hour and half) for the day and it was what you expect from a Spanish tourist destination but it was very hot there with brilliant sun shine all day, we spoke to a cab driver and he said there were better beaches with sun only twenty minutes drive away from our hotel and with hind sight we should of researched this part better. The town of Puerto De La Cruz is beautiful with some lovely parks but as we were told it can get cloudy couple this with the hotel being at the top of a hill it did get cold for one day and on a hot day it is one hell of a walk to get to from the town, so our recommendation get a car! - you can hire on from the hotel lobby and book excursions here - but as we found then there's no real point in being All inclusive if your going to spend all day away from the hotel so I would also recommend being half board and the drinks are cheap enough at the bar and do your home work so that if the it going to be cloudy you need to know where to go, but all in all lovely time had by all.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
13 Thank fletcher00
Glasgow
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Spent a very enjoyable holiday at this hotel (first two weeks of July). The food was excellent (lots of variety, kids found something everyday that they liked), kids and husband enjoyed the pools on the hot days but as they are not heated I did not enter them at all (spoil sport!). The staff within the hotel were friendly and helpful. We were all inclusive and found no faults with either the food or alcohol. The only drawback for this hotel would be the weather (which is obviously beyond the control of the hotel). We had some dull days and if you are looking for bright sunshine everyday, this hotel at this time of year would not be to your liking. The vast majority of holidaymakers at the hotel were Spanish, with some Germans. Some other english speaking visitors didn't enjoy this aspect, but for ourselves this was not an issue.

Would recommend this hotel and would visit it again particularly in the sunnier months e.g. October.

Room Tip: 5th floor room overlooked car. Traffic not problematic due to height but would avoid ground floor.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Maz67Glasgow
Playa Blanca, Spain
Reviewed June 30, 2011

We have just come back from Hotel Las Aguilas. I had seen the bad reviews before I went and was a little nervous - I had also seen the good reviews. The hotel is in a spectacular position and has amazing views. It´s a must to have a sea view room so that you can get the most from your stay. There are rooms overlooking the car park which aren´t as nice, if you have a sea room view you avoid these. The rooms are huge - they are suites and you won´t find a hotel room this big anywhere. If you have children with you - they sleep in the lounge area and beds are very comfortable and the rooms are very clean. The hotel is more traditional in design not modern and new, but the food and services were both excellent for the money we paid. We found something nice to eat everyday and there was so much food everywhere. The children loved the pool and the space in the hotel - you DO NEED A CAR - if you stay here, but it´s only a short drive away from the centre if you want to get out and about. Lovely holiday and would certainly go back. I don´t have one bad thing to say about the hotel.

Room Tip: Always book a sea-view room
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank brownings
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2011

With tiled floors and thin walls this has to be the noisiest hotel we have stayed in . Every time a toilet flushed or a door went you were woken from your attempted slumber not to mention the alarm that we could hear clearly every morning at 8 from the room next door (and their domestics !). Food average , service variable from rude to very helpful but overall more 3 stars and for us never again !!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Switch13
UK
Reviewed April 27, 2011

We returned from holiday today and reading back through other recent reviews it is amazing how many of the complaints reported we experienced ourselves. For the record I have previously reviewed several hotels on Tripadvisor giving all but one either 4 or 5 stars and none lower than 3 stars.

Firstly, when I told my friend I was going to Northern Tenerife for my holiday he responded with "Oh, the cloudy side." Laughing it off I soon realised he wasn't joking. Aside from the constant cloud that clings to the northern side of Mount Teide (we ended up driving an hour south daily for sunshine) my wife & I came away from this holiday feeling totally let down by the hotel and bemused as to how it remains near the top of Trip Advisor ratings.

On the positive side it is a large hotel and the building is well maintained, with large rooms. I found staff to be polite and friendly - especially the restaurant staff, although as I am about to explain - certain reception staff were not helpful, and that is the sum total of positives from our experience.

ROOMS
We had booked & paid for a superior room through our travel agent but they had mistakenly booked a promotional room for us. As with a previous report (3rd April) the hotel staff couldn't have been less helpful if they'd tried. I asked them if they could check with our travel agent. They literally shrugged their shoulders and refused. I asked if I could use their phone to call the travel agent. They told me to use the one in my room (I spent 20 Euros calling them). When the travel agent finally admitted fault the following day the hotel told me they were now full and couldn't change our room until 5 days into our 7 day stay. This left us stuck in our 1st floor room, at car park level with guests constantly walking past and looking in. Finally, I asked if we could at least be moved to a room with a double bed (we had 2 single beds). They told me I had to pay extra for a room with a double bed as all the promotional rooms had twin beds. I wouldn't mind if I 'd paid for a promotional room, but I had legitimately paid for more. They weren't interested and we stayed in our room with 2 single beds.

The rooms have very thin walls and you can hear practically every conversation and movement from the next room. There is a kitchenette and despite no crockery or cutlery we bought some from a supermarket so we had the freedom to eat cheaply if we fancied it. There was no kettle / tea or coffee making facilities but I think that's the norm on the continent. There was also no iron.

FOOD
Mass produced and whilst there is a wide variety of food I found much of it rubbery. Poor quality.

LOCATION
As has been mentioned in other reviews you MUST have a car to stay here. We found little to do in the local area - there is a shopping mall across the road and Loro Parque (Wildlife park) in Puerto de la Cruz although we didn't visit it. As I 've already said, we ended up using the car to escape the cloud and head farther afield - either the far south or beaches up past Santa Cruz (Playa de las Teresitas is lovely).

MONEY
This hotel charges. 2 Euros daily for use of the safe (standard practice to be fair), 2 Euros an hour for WIFI use - and you have to sit in the lobby to use it unless you have a sea view room, and at least 10 Euros a night extra for a room with a double bed if you are in a promotional room. I have NEVER had to pay extra for a double bed.

FINALLY
If you've already booked and are in a promo room I urge you to pay extra to upgrade. 10 Euros a night upgrade buys you a mountain view but crucially NOT at car park level. 20 Euros a night buys you a Sea View and whilst this is a lot of money it will make a big difference to your stay here. If you are reading this and still choosing a hotel, consider the most recent reviews. We found many of the complaints from recent reviews to be entirely accurate to our own experience and it definitely affected our holiday. Oh, and don't expect much help if you experience any problems.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple