“Righting Some Serious Wrongs!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Globales Acuario

and 1 more site!
Globales Acuario
Stafford
“Righting Some Serious Wrongs!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2010

People have and are perfectly entitled to their opinions.........in my opinion the hotel Acuario does not deserve the negative reviews. I will now give an unbiased, honest review.

The hotel Acuario is a fairly large 2* hotel. We were in room B22 from 23rd Feb - 1st March 2010. Yes the hotel is situated in a residential area (see photo), but only a 5 minutes drive to Loro Parque (which I could not recommend highly enough) and the town itself (see photo). Yes the rooms are on the compact side, there is no TV or fridge freezer (it's not self catering), it's simply a bedroom, bathroom and balcony (we actually had 2 balconies). Personally my partner and I were perfectly happy with this as we explore and only require a base when away. There are plenty of suitable areas in the hotel for sitting both outdoors and in should you wish to stay in the hotel (see photo). The beds were extremely comfortable, extra blankets provided should you need them. Most nights I spent with just a sheet. We both wear earplugs so other than the one night when hurricane Xynthia hit we didn't hear a peep. The following morning there was a dust covering over the entire floor that the hurricane had blown in under the balcony doors but after the maid had done her usual impeccable job you would never have known. The rooms are spotless and nicely done out, as is the rest of the hotel that also has a TV room, reading room/bar area and room available for internet use which is reasonably charged. There is a safe in the room (available for rent I believe) but we always kept our money and passports on us in a belt pouch I picked up for £1 (from the shop where everything is £1) here in the UK. I would urge anyone going away anywhere not to leave valuables in a vunerable position, it's just common sense.
We did require extra pillows, asked at reception and were provided them without issue. There was a wardrobe with upper and lower storage space and two sets of drawers in the room which was plenty.
The bathroom - My partner and I are on the large side and did find the shower tray/curtain a little small but for normal sized people this shouldn't be an issue (see photo). It appears the bathroom was originally used as a wetroom and was designed/used to having a wet floor so I didn't worry about the flood I created every time I showered. I would however advise that you put a towel down to avoid slipping as the floors are marble. The towels provided are of a good quality and were changed daily. Even ones that we hadn't used.

Breakfast - Always plenty on offer, yoghurts, cereal, fruit, rolls, bread for toasting, cold meat, cheese, bacon, eggs (fried, scrambled and bolied) and beans. Fruit juices, muffins and local sweet stuff, coffee etc I admit I would have liked to have seen a sausage on alternate days but there was enough choice to enable a daily variance.

The pool - As we were out and about every day I didn't get chance to use the pool, it's not very big but it is pefectly suitable for a dip. As others have said previously there is no shallow end for the little ones though.

We hired a car from Record Go - Absolutely fantastic service and free upgrade provided, we were given a Megane instead of a Ka (suprisingly it was a brilliant drive). Parking at the front of the hotel was only attempted once (just to see). You would be very lucky to get a space there but there is ample parking at the back of the hotel (about 100 spaces) and there is a conveniently placed rear entrance to the hotel (which is not as previously stated over a km away) and a small supermarket and cafe just around the corner I used Google Maps road view to familiarise myself with the roads around the hotel as there a a few no entry, one way systems in operation. Once you have done it once it's easy to find your way around. If you don't have a car there are buses and taxi's available or you could even walk into town or to Loro Parque. I would recommend a map so that you don't walk further than you actually need to though and I wouldn't recommend the walk for children as I'm sure their little legs wouldn't appreciate it after a day at the beach or traipsing around the town. If you do hire a car I recommend Record Go (aka Record rent-a-car) who will meet you at the airport and have a taxi (which they pay for) take you to their offices 1 junction down. The car is then dropped off on your return to the airport in a designated area. Please make sure you leave the car in the right place or the car will be removed and a fine incurred which you will have to pay (at the time of our holiday the designated area was on the public car park in line 9, at the top of the car park). I also suggest for £23 you take the extra windscreen, wheels etc insurance or face a possible £300 bill (this is standard practice across all car hire companies). Parking in Purto De La Cruz itself is extremely easy as there is a massive car park on the front. We ate in town for the most part. There are plenty of restaurants to choose from. La Casona was beautiful (a higher standard of restaurant) but still reasonably priced, Mario's pizza's a couple of doors down was also fantastic, both are situated in the first square as you walk from the car park. La Bodega (near to the Martinez pools, after Macdonalds) do delicious steaks, cooked to perfection with no fatty bits, the best steak I have ever eaten.

It's fair to say that my partner and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Tenerife and at the hotel Acuario. I last visited 12 years ago, stayed in the South and said I would never go back but am so glad I did, but this time to the North. If it's lewd nightlife and tacky souvenir shops your after stay in Las Americas. If you want to see some real Tenerife and culture head to Puerto, there are plenty of shops and the usual touristy stuff but it's just so,so much better.

If I can be of any assistance in aswering any questions you may have about the hotel, area or islands attractions please do not hesitate to ask. I will happily provide any information that I can including recommedations on Whale & Dolphin trips, cheaper Loro Parque tickets, Teresitas beach, driving around the island, Monkey Zoo and Jungle Park.

9 Thank Teri2512Stafford

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
eye
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2010

I want to start saying that there was not much of the promised at that hotel: no telephone (so if you were expecting a call you had to wait in reception), no hairdryer, no free bus to the center of town, no television, no piped music, no fridge freezer. I wounder If I really stayed at the hotel that I booked.
The rooms were kept cleen, maybe too clean. The cleaner did not shut our balcony sliding door and we were robbed. It had to take good planning as we got our stuff ready for the day and left it on the room to go to the restaurant and have breakfast. when we got back all our money was gone. we were left with zero euros. Knowing this, the hotel did not even offer us food to eat that day, so we starved until our UK bank could send us money the next day.
The rooms are extremely small. 2 people could not move in the first room we were at. We were moved to another room later, a bit better.
If you do not have a car you are screwed, if you do, you still have to walk over a km to the hotel as it is extremely hard to park.
I am not going to coment on breakfast as I already knew it was not good.
I am pretty sure that the hotel does not follow touristic guidelines and probably should be closed to the public.
I am writing this review to warn all travellers to stay away!!! It will cost you more to stay there than what you think. It will cost you your relax holidays!

3 Thank vanesa9

Travelers are raving about these Puerto de la Cruz hotels

surrey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2010

Incorrect info on website, hotel 2star not 3. No entertainment, no tv, no hairdryer, no tea/coff in room, rooms very very small and shabby. No lift in annexe building. Bar not staffed at night. No background music. Pool very very small. Workmen drilling during day fixing outside shower. Hotel on top of very very steep hill. Not close to beach. Noisy at night. Food samey and not hot, had to use microwave to heat it up. Staff were friendly and rooms cleaned well. The only good points. Nothing to do but walk. Would never go there again. This is the type of place that you would drop in for a night on your travels but not for a family or couple holiday. Very very disappointed.

West Sussex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2009

In summary - an excellent, value for money 2* hotel. Spotlessly clean, great choice for half board for breakfast and dinner. What more could you want for £115 a week?

We paid £115 each for a week half board in February. We had a hire car so just used the hotel as a base. It certainly met our needs. The en-suite room was basic (two single beds pushed together to form a double which we had requested, no facilities like kettle/hairdryer/welcome leaflet) but had a balcony with views of the sea and Mt Teide, and was spotlessly clean. The shower was particularly good - hot and strong! We paid an extra 25 euros for a safe for the week.

All the public areas of the hotel we saw were spotless too. The staff on reception were friendly, helpful, provided maps and help with car parking, and check in and out was straightforward. We tried the internet but it was a euro for ten minutes!! We didn't use the pool or the bar so can't comment on that.

The breakfast was excellent, so much choice, fruits (fresh, fruit salad, compote), cereals, yoghurt etc, continental breads, rolls etc with cheeses and hams, and then a hot buffet with lots of choice (scrambled eggs, fried eggs, boiled eggs, bacon, beans, sausages, mushrooms). For dinner as a veggie the selection was quite limited, but for the fish eating other half it was great - there was a big salad bar, and rice or pasta, and then a fish or meat dish each night, and veggies. The desserts were usually 3 a night with ice cream too.

There was free parking on the road or in the free car park behind the hotel. The area seemed quite safe for walking around at night. The location was good for getting out onto the motorway for exploring or for walking into town (a steep 20 minute climb back though!).

We found a couple of really nice places to try in the town: Albertos is a bar behind the Florasol apartments, fantastic views over the city and coastline, reasonably priced drinks, great slabs of cake and pizza, and very friendly. Also El Limon is a veggie cafe in the centre of town, reasonable prices and friendly service, and great for veggies who are a bit tired of omelettes!

The only downside for me from this hotel was the noise - our room seemed to have no soundproofing and each night I was disturbed by traffic noise, music, other guests walking up and down. But apart from that, it's a good value budget hotel which does excellent breakfasts and is very clean.

• Liked — The enormous amounts of food on offer!!
  • Disliked — The lack of sound proofing in our room
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank fgsy
el paso
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2009

STAY AWAY!!!!!! I joined Tripadvisor just to warn away anyone who might be considering staying at this hell hole. I booked on line thru one of the pop up travel sites on Traveladvisor. When I tried to check in the young woman at the desk said I had no reservation, even after showing her the printout. She wanted to know who the travel agent was and I directed her to the letter head. She said that an internet site was not a travel agency!!!!! She was discourteous and downright unpleasant. Eventually she went to show the confirmation to some one else. She then agreed to give me a room.

I am very easy to please regarding hotels, just need them to be somewhat clean and employ pleasant people. I am far from a demanding guest nor do I have high standards regarding cleanliness. The lobby looked sort of OK but THIS PLACE WAS FILTHY and uncared for. The pool area looked to be not bad at first and then I realized they were in the middle of painting the building (though there were no workers to be seen) the paint was dripped everywhere!!!!! Plants, poolside areas, the broken pool loungers and windows had huge drips of paint! Unpleasant, unpleasant, unpleasant!!!!

After the morning shower the hot water wouldn't turn off so the room was getting steamier and steamier as I was getting ready to retreat.

There is no good reason to stay at this dump.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
bonnie scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2008

The hotel looks ok, but looks can be deceiving ! Rooms are far too small , a single room made into a double ! Food really not very good either , have to be fast or your last ! Staff DO NOT CLEAR YOUR TABLE ! felt like busmans holiday ! We were half board which we very rarely used , ate out most of the time , some lovely resturants in puerto , love the town . SOOO, if your looking for nice hotel take some advice and look else where ! there are some very nice appts in puerto for similar price , and much nicer with better location !

liz and lez
bonnie scotland

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2008

We spent 10 days at the Hotel Acuario and we really enjoyed our stay alltogether. The check in was fast and easy, so was the check out, there were no problems with staff or anything else.

Pro:

- food
We had breakfast and dinner at the hotel and I think it was delicious and had a wide variety of different food. For a 2 star hotel the food was great, especially the dessert was very spanish and therefore quite interesting.

- Cleanliness
Our room was clean, the sheets and bath cloths changed every day and even the balcony was tidied up daily. I stayed in four star hotels where the rooms were dirtier.

- Staff
The staff was really friendly and helpful, although their english is not the best and it's good when you can speak one or two words of spanish.

Contra:

- Location
The hotel is about 20minutes from the beach by foot. There is a bus station at the back of the hotel (going by bus is quite cheap, jus tget a Bonobus ticket at the beginning with 12 or 30 Euro and the bus driver will charge from that amount every tour you take), but the stations don't have names and there are only occasionally information about what busses serve the station.

- Noise
During our stay it was pretty loud, it seems like the walls are too thin for a hotel, you could hear conversations from next to you, the pool was just above our room, so it was quite noisy all the time even if it was late at night.

Nevertheless I would recommend this hotel for people who don't expect to fall out of the door onto the beach.

• Liked — Food, Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Noise, Location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple