“Poor value for money”

Ranked #24 of 81 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Wirral
“Poor value for money”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Just come back from a five day break at this hotel. I have never felt the need to write a review before this experience. Hotel room was lovely but everything else really poor. Food, fish and pork every meal time. Dining room set out in rows and small, standard of food not what you would expect in a four star hotel. Set meal times no snacks that I could find. One themed resturant only open one night a week on a Friday. Pools very small set in a concrete jungle. Staff in bar area extremely rude, ignored customers so waiting ages to get a drink. No tea, coffee or fruit juices avaliable for you to help yourself to bar doesn't open until 11am. Extremely long way from the airport so please ensure you book a transfer taxi 120 euros each way. This hotel did not meet any of my expectations and I was left feeling very disappointed with the experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Moira M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2012

went away for a relaxing holiday and we got it,nice food ,welcoming staff and all round lovely hotel, our room was very spacious wiyh plenty of storage space it was light and airey,it was a sea view room which faced the north west but this was no problem due to the day time temp was around 26c for 3 days.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank joe485
Welwyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We arrived at this hotel and were pleasantly pleased with the entrance and the cleanliness. The reception staff were welcoming and gave us all the information we needed about the activities, room and buses.
We had a suite each, which were very spacious, with lots of storage and Lovely balcony with a sea view. We had a microwave, coffee making facilities (you can get the coffee, milk and sugar from breakfast), microwave, iron, hair dryer etc. there is shop in the hotel and as we were all inclusive we had unlimited drinks and food all day.
We walked to the beach, which is black sand, however was only a 5 minute walk (the walk back is uphill and did pull on the calf muscles). In the main centre there are plenty of bars, restaurants and shops.
We enjoyed trying various cocktails and liqueurs, the food had plenty of different choices and we both were able to enjoy a variety of dishes.
The pool has plenty of beds around it, there is also a sun deck with plenty of beds and a separate shallow pool with sunbeds.
Predominately the guests are German and pushing the 60+ plus mark, this makes for a quiet, relaxing holiday.
The activities in the day include, aerobics, archery and darts. A entertainment person came to your sunbed to advertise the aerobics, but we were not sure where the other activities were. I am sure reception would let us know. The evening entertainment is generally different singers and quite sedate. As it is an adult only hotel there were no kids running around.
There is a reading room with plenty of books in various languages, you can hire towels for just a deposit and each room has a safe which you can pay for.
The pool is more than adequate to swim 20m lengths and was a nice temperature even in November. There is a hot tub, we were disappointed that this was not filled and working.
We didn't need to pay for the wifi, however you can't get this if your room is not near reception and it is very slow. You need a code for each device you wish to add.
Overall a lovely hotel with everything you need for a great stay.

Room Tip: Entertainment goes on until 11, if you want to go to sleep before then request a room at the far end...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Carol S
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed in a junior suite at this hotel in September with my friend and really enjoyed the services offered at hotel Diamante Suites in Puerto de la Cruz. Our room was a sea view and whilst dated somewhat in decor was clean and well maintained. The main thing that I have to comment about this hotel is how friendly, efficient, professional and accommodating all the staff were during our stay. We arrived late but the girl in reception insisted that we got our evening meal before the kitchen closed and arranged for our bags to be brought to our room. They also printed our boarding cards for our return flight.
I want to comment on some people’s opinion of the food, as I had read some of the reviews in advance of my trip and was a little preoccupied with the hotel’s reviews on trip advisor. We were on an all inclusive deal and I can honestly say that any of the food that I didn’t like was my own fault as to my choices. I thought that the range of choices for all meal times was really good and all the food was good quality and cooked well. The main restaurant could do with a revamp with regard to the decor – the beirkrug barrel ends mounted on the wall weren’t exactly an example of the hotel’s locality but other than that it fare on offer was decent for the star rating the hotel has. Also, not that I part-took in any hotel activities but there always seemed to be something on offer, the bus service down to Puerto de la Cruz was a brilliant option to make use of. The time we stayed there was a problem with the T.V. channels and there was not English speaking channel which was a little disappointing if you just wanted to relax in your room one of the evenings of your stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view if you can
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank ConamaraGal
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is not a Hotel for those who do not like walking ! It is situated on top of a hill towards the Loro Parque end of Puerto de la Cruz and though I am fit & healthy & live in the hilliest part of Yorkshire I found it a tiring walk back in heat of 32C. It takes approx 20 to 30mins to walk back from the sea front with the last part either up several flights of steps or a steep hill ! There is a Hotel bus but it was often full though I managed to get on one day by arriving 10mins early & asserting myself among the mainly German clientele ! However taxis are cheap & the trip back never cost more than 4 euros from any part of the main town.
The rooms are spacious,clean & airy but the TV(if you need it) only shows Spanish or German programmes & the fridge wasn't all that powerful though it did manage to chill water if left in overnight.
This is supposed to be an Adults Only Hotel but the last 5 nights I was there a Spanish family with 3 boys under 10yrs old took over the room next to me and were incredibly noisy--the walls don't seem to block out any sounds at all ! As the Hotel was half empty I presume they were taking anyone in to meet their overheads.
The pool is much smaller than it appears on the photos and even with the Hotel half empty there were not always enough sun loungers to go round...but the view from the sun terrace is amazing!

Room Tip: Don't get a room over the entertainment area (917, 919 etc) as its very noisy. The road side is...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maggie H
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The hotel is old and dated but extremely well maintained and very clean. We had a junior suite, sparsely furnished but ok. No English Channel on tv, but no worries about that.
We had an all inclusive deal, breakfast was poor, really poor but lunch and dinned although basic and repetitive was tasty and well presented. The dining room needs a complete overhaul. It felt like eating in an institution!
However all praise to thd staff, front of desk, housekeeping, bar staff. All of them were accommodating , helpfuland cheerful.
The hotel was not very full, just as well as the pool area is woefully inadequate for more than 40 guests, but once again although everything very old it was well maintained.
Overall ok for a short break and value for money .

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank liannema
UK
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I booked this hotel as I had seen it from the outside many times before and I had stayed in a sister hotel which was ok. After I booked it I then read the Trip Advisor reviews and I felt I had maybe made a mistake!

However, I am pleased to say, I didn't. The communal areas of the hotel are great, well maintained and of a high standard. The rooms are fine, perhaps just indeed of a freshen up in terms of a re-paint. The rooms are split into a living area (with a good size fridge, sofa, tv (though no English channels), and ample storage space. The bedrooms have two twin beds that can be pushed together to make a good size double. The beds are comfy and the pillows are too. The bathroom is well maintained with everything in working order (I was worried about a rusty bath after reading previous reviews, but the bath was fine). Bidet, toilet, bath with shower head, double sink, hair dryer and wall mounted magnified round mirror. Lots of complimentary shower gels, shampoo etc.

In the living room there is a large wardrobe (as well as a good sized one in the bedroom). In one side of the wardrobe I was pleased to find a new filter coffee maker, toaster, two cups and saucers and a microwave.

The living room and bedroom both have air con (free of charge) which cools things down really well- though the bedroom air con was not as effective as the living room.

The hotel offers a regular shuttle bus into Peurto de la Cruz, though the last bus back to the hotel is 7.30pm.

You can pay for use of the safe, 3 euros a day or 15 euros for a week. Wifi is additional also, priced at 5 euros for 24 hours. You can also use wifi for free between the hours of 1.00 and 3.00pm.

The pool is smaller than it looks on the website, but it is still a good size. A nice pool bar is also next to the pool, as well as a life guard (reassuring to know!!)

Outside is a private balcony, with two chairs and a table( good solid chairs too!). My balcony had a sea view and if you can look beyond the rubble below, it is great!

All in all- I booked two nights here initially and was bending staying at friends the rest of my stay- I've just booked a further 3 nights as its so nice here. I booked through Alpha Rooms for the initial two nights and then Travel Republic for the last 3 nights. Travel republic was slightly cheaper.

I've stayed in two other hotels in the past in Peurto (Interpalace, Gran Turquesa) and I can honestly say, this one is the best and the cheapest!!!

Room Tip: I can only go on my room, which was in the 8th floor- great view and quiet!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo