“Unassuming and Comfortable”

Miramar Hotel Tenerife Island
Ranked #77 of 81 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is a no frills hotel. Spotlessly clean, but very modest. Do not expect a fridge in your room -there isn´t one! Food adequate but not inspring. We ate all but breakfasts out, not fancying the menu and anyway we heard from other guests that the food was plentiful, adequate but not great. All buffet service. Clear your own plates like MacDonalds! However what do you expect from a hotel offering really budeget breaks, three nights and breakfast for two for only 144€ is exceptional! Staff, not over friendly in fact apart from reception, and the chamber- maid the other staff members seemed to be just tolerating their guests.
The setting is terrific. In the middle of a beautiful park with waterfalls. You can walk to the sea-front via 259 (approx) steps - ok going down, but going up.... well, let us say a trife more effort is needed. Taxis from the hotel to the centre and Loro Park are inexpensive, and the hotel has a free bus serice running throughout the day which is useful. Swimming pool and its bar are OK.
Lunch time food inexpensive and large portions.

We certainly would go back again for a short break.

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the vista at the front.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JanetandHarry
There are newer reviews for Miramar Hotel Tenerife Island

Reviewed April 1, 2013

My 18 year old son and I stayed from the 24th March for one week half board at the Miramar hotel. I booked the holiday on the 22nd March via the Co-op and was a cancellation holiday with Thomas Cook. It was my third attempt at booking a break, so was pretty desperate to get something booked,
The transfer to the hotel from the Airport in the South took about 75 mins. On arrival at the hotel the receptionist mumbled at us very fast some things which was written on a card and gave us a key. We went to our room and was really pleased, the view from the balcony was fantastic, sea and mountain and the pool, (was in room 610) it was very spacious. The t.v was a little old thing, I presume you had to rent the remote but no one told us this. Good job we didn't want to watch t.v.
The facilities are really good, a very nice pool, lovely well tendered gardens, a tennis/squash court, a playground, volleyball court, crazy golf, ping pong and a pool table. there was also a sauna and jaccuzi. The pool bar closed at 6pm as it was classed as winter timings.
The location of the hotel for us was brilliant, there is a fab park to one side and a wonderful waterfall/gardens to the other side. The walk to the seafront was lovely. For anyone who did not have walking difficulties the walk back up the hill was also really good, however a taxi was only €3-€4 -
There is a Lido complex down by the sea which is well set out. There is a beach where they do surfing. We did two trips, Loro Park and Siam Park, both of which are excellent.
We did not have a rep at the hotel which was a shame as this meant we did not have anyone to tell us all the things it took us a few days to find out and when you are somewhere for only a week this is too late! Top tip, talk to the other guests as soon as you get there to find out the different places to walk to, visit etc.
We did not find out until the penultimate day that there was wi-fi in the bar of an evening, the hotel did not put it on in the daytime - in this day and age it is an essential day to day necessity.
The room service was ok, they changed the towels regularly and they made the bed daily, however, the dirty glasses we had in our room stayed there all week. We had a bottle of bubbly, two bottles of water and some fruit on our arrival which was nice.
The main area where I was really dissapointed was the food - the food in the evening was only luke warm - I find this mosy unacceptable - I was told by other guests that there was a microwave where I could warm the food up !!!!!! but alas without a rep I could not voice my complaint - i could have telephoned a rep but they needed to be there to try the food themselves. we ate twice in the evening and had coffee and cereal in the mornings - the juice is poor.
The only other real issue was the staff - practically all male - were so miserable!! The receptionist was actually pleasant to us the night before we left, one of the old barmen wasn't too bad once you got to know him and one of the waiters gave us a smile or two.
I think this really could be a fab hotel with a bit more of an effort from the staff. When I found out that my last minute booking cost me DOUBLE what most of the other guests had paid for ONE week - some also booking late - that made my issues about the food and the staff feel worse!!!
Overall we had a very enjoyable break, the weather was amazing and we met some very nice people at the hotel which made it all the more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Room 610 had views of the pool, sea and mountains, the sea was quite thunderous as it is funnelled i...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank milliecope
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We have just returned from the Miramar Hotel. The most relaxing holiday we have had for a long time.Yes the hotel is dated we found this adds to the character of the place, overall the hotel was clean, food was edible and several choices a breakfast and dinner, entertainment -played bingo once, Thomas is very talented (he is an actor, we went to see "Dinner for One" which was very funny and most enjoyable at the little theatre in town)other than Bingo or quiz there was a man playing a keyboard and trying to sing!!!Unfortunately one of the barstaff was very abrupt and miserable so we didn't go in again.The pool area is clean and tidy and the gardens immaculate.We were in room 508 a huge room with views over the garden and pool and the sea(only downside it was not a sunny room)The free bus to town was good, polite driver.(we used it every day)It only runs Monday to Friday 9.30 -6pm.The Taro Park next to the hotel is very pretty,plenty of seats for the not so fit or just to sit in the sun,the park is used by joggers,walkers,runners and dog walkers (not all dog owners clean up after their dogs!!)Alberto's bar-just 5 minutes walk very friendly and overlooks the town and sea.The Park bar and Soul and Kitchen are 5 minutes walk through the park turn left at the top and they are next to each other, both very nice.The shop is past these bars and turn left sells newspapers,milk etc.Walk out of Miramar turn right walk down the hill to the waterfalls and steps take you down to the town or walk down the roadway(easier)Cafe by waterfalls very nice.We went on PALS blanket trip (free trip around the island worth going on , you have to put up with sales trying to sell you a mattress or sheepskin covers but Jewls was entertaining)The leather shop had some bargains.We would have liked to go to Loro Park but several people we spoke to said it was very overpriced 33 euros each.
We would stay at the Miramar again but rumors are it is up for sale/rent.It closes May and June every year.Lots of hotels were closed and shops but we found lots to do.

Room Tip: Corner rooms on 6th floor have large balcony's and good views and are sunny,
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank boatgirlLeicester
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Where do I start? This hotel is truly dreadful. Imagine a Spanish version of Faulty Towers. We arrived late afternoon to be met by a very unpleasant man on reception. He spoke no English, grabbed our passports and shoved our room keys at us. We went to our room which on the surface looked OK. It did look a bit dated and smelt a little musty but seemed comfy. Bit of a shocker to pull back the sheets and find holes in them. As for the bed, double dip recession is the expression I would use. Without doubt the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in, and I include Army cots in this statement. The bathroom was a plumbing nightmare. The taps were so blocked that the hot and cold water spurted out in all directions except down. The shower head had a life of its own and made taking a shower a very memorable experience, more water on the floor than anywhere else. The towels must have been years old and were so thin that we were afraid we may put our fingers through them.

And now to the rest of the hotel. It was obviously modernised in the late 1970s, early 1980s. It has not been touched since. The carpets are faded and badly stained, the decor is shabby, and the whole place badly needs a makeover. The staff have obviously been there since then and are as shabby and faded as the hotel. They make no effort to be pleasant and in some cases were almost hostile.

Onto the food. Breakfast is OK if you want eggs and bacon. Don't go near the sausages or beans. There is also bread, cheese, ham and fruit. The coffee and drinks come out of a self service machine and the water always smelt a little. The best thing I can say about the food is that no one went down with food poisoning. The evening meals were so bad that we soon walked into the town and had some fabulous meals there. You are expected to clear your own table. If you had school meals in the UK in the 1970s you will know exactly what to expect.

It is a bit of a hike from the hotel into the town. You walk down a large number of steps through a very pretty park. We didn't mind the walk and have to admit to getting a taxi back each day. The taxis are plentiful and not too expensive. The town is beautiful and we will definitely be heading back there - just not to the Miramar.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms, just don't go there
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Suzie P
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I vowed for years I would never go to Tenerife, I had heard it was all concrete and boozed up Brits, I was persuaded to go to Puerto de la cruz and so glad I did, stayed at the Miramar Hotel and what a great holiday it was . It was an older style hotel but the room we got was enormous and well furnished and wait for it - the patio not balcony was to die for, it was huge, and the views breathtaking. Yes its up a big hill but with free shuttle bus and taxi's so cheap it didn't matter. I found the food ok and service as good as any other, if you can get a room on one of the higher floors over looking the gardens and sea WOW, Got the bus one day to Los Americas in the south, you can keep it, that place realy is concrete and dare I say it - yes we did see boozed up Brits, Have been back to Puerto de la Cruz 3 times now, lovely town square and the locals are superb, I would stay at the Miramar Hotel anytime. If you want Tenerife and the real Spain Puerto is the place, and the Milamar of course.

Room Tip: Higher floors facing the gardens and sea, WOW
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Alan R
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Like many others I read the critical reviews of this hotel, but as the 2 week holiday over Christmas was relatively inexpensive compared with other alternatives, I arrived with an open mind. It is true parts of the hotel are dated, the staff can appear a little distant at times and the steps down into resort can be a pain, especially if you have mobility problems. Having said that the hotel has a charm about it, the staff do respond to a polite friendly approach and the minibus provides regular trips to and from town during the day. Taxis are quite cheap for evening trips to the many busy but laid back bars down by the harbour. We found the food very much to our liking with lots of fresh fruit and great salads and we both put on weight during the two weeks despite walking into town most nights. The room was a little old fashioned but huge homely and clean. Our sheets were changed 5 times and we had clean towels most days. The view over the pool and gardens and out over the resort to the sea was amazing! Though I wouldn't have gone for one, the rooms overlooking the mountains did get more sunlight due to them facing south. The beautiful gardens and and pool area are a great place to sunbathe with fantastic mountain and sea views. All in all, despite its few faults, this is a lovely hotel that many that you talk to return to over and over again and we met some really lovely people. It's top of our list for next Christmas if not sooner!

Room Tip: South facing rooms are warmer in the winter because they get the sun for longer but you will miss th...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DERBYCOL
Reviewed February 4, 2013

OK. Lets get the bad bits over first. Yes, the waiters seem to have a funny attitude (seem to be trained at the Basil Fawlty school of catering) and some of the rooms need updating. The food was quite adequate and variable but there was some waiting for the stock, plates and cutlery to be replaced. The walk down to the town was down 248 steps but this could be lessened if the alternative route of the slopes was taken. Also there was a shuttle bus, which was a luxury coach, not a decrepit one as some reviewers have said. Maybe it finally gave up the ghost!!
Now the good bits. The hotel is in a beautiful situation alongside a lovely park and there are spectacular views from most of the rooms. The food was plentiful and as I said adequate and there was variety so most peoples' taste could be satisfied. I must admit that I did not see many vegetarian options but we are meat eaters so did not pay much attention to this point. The towels were changed daily and the sheets were changed once during our two weeks stay.
We met some lovely British couples, one of which first went there 35 years ago and now return there 4 or 5 times a year. One couple have been there 50+ times and their record for going home and returning was two days and they go there 4 or 5 times a year for weeks or months as well. I cannot see how you can have better recommendation than this. One first timer who was there for 5 weeks said that he had stayed in a lot worse 4 star hotels. The entertainment which was on for 5 times a week was very good with two nights of music and dancing, two nights of Crazy Bingo and one Quiz Night. Our congratulations must go to Thomas for the bingo and quiz and his multi-lingual ability.
The hotel is based on an old mansion and adjacent to the reception is a large seating area and several rooms where one can sit relax, read, surf the internet or play cards.
After a few days the hotel grows on you after you explore the lovely grounds and the surrounding area. Not to be missed is the monthly (1st Sat of the month) car boot sale at the Anglican Church just up the road. But beware of pick-pockets as I had my wallet stolen at the bi-weekly flea market at the town's market.
All in all a very pleasurable experience and no doubt we will, like the people we met return again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor give a good sea view over the garden and pool and ther are no steps a s they...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple