“Fawlty towers!!!”

Ranked #76 of 80 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
liverpool
“Fawlty towers!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

The worst hotel we have ever stayed in .our very short stay was like an episode from fawlty towers .where do i start thomas cook agent in our local travel agents recomended this hotel she was told that we had a disabled child in a wheelchair with us ,no problem ,even ringing up to ask the size of the wheelchair . when we arrived the two members of staff on reception pointed at the wheelchair and had i long conversation ,making us feel very uncomfitable. no member of staff offered to help with bags or wheelchair . we found the lift and tried to get the wheechair in as we where on the sixth floor , it wouldnt fit .later on when we had done about seven trips in the very tiny lift we walked into the bar which was totaly empty ,we ordered our drinks from a very surly barman and sat down . the barman served us waited just long enough to get his tip then turned the music off and walked out of the bar! It was half ten !! Rooms are old fashion , food is luke warm and awful staff are all rude apart from a young lad called marcos he seemed so out of place because he was the only one who smiled.as for the shuttle bus it is an old rickity mini bus that should have been scraped years ago and is driven by a horrible man who made it quite clear that he didnt want to take us because we had the wheelchair with us. I eventualy got hold of julie the thomas cook rep who was usless and asked to move which we didtwo days later to a lovely hotel with nice friendly staff. there are lots of hotels in del la cruz dont make the mistake that we made dont choose the mirimar!

• Stayed April 2012
5 Thank smigger_9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

Have just returned from a week away in Puerto de la cruz. Prior to trip was anxious due to very negative reviews of hotel but if i had known how much i would enjoy my visit i would have looked forward to it far more! Wonderful views from our 9th floor room, elegant surroundings, helpful staff and food more than adequate. Perfect location and would choose it over the 4* hotels at the seafront despite their obvious grandeur. Miramar just had such a cosy feel and won hands down for position. Hope very much to return one day.

Room Tip: higher floors have best views
2 Thank yentl51
Didcot, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012

We were a bit apprehensive after reading reviews before we went. But found the hotel to give good value for money as in in does what it says on the... etc.
Food was the usual buffet set up with basic choices but something for everybody.
Rooms were good, not special - good.
Pool is good and pool area quite pleasant.- just note that you can't put sun loungers on the grassed areas for some unknown reason!
Staff vary from miserable old gits to very affable and helpful.
Lovely quiet area away from the Town, really nice walks in a relaxed and safe environment, beautiful park adjacent to Hotel. Regular courtesy bus, walk to seafront about twenty mins (lots of steps but plenty of benches to rest on and admire the views). bar prices high and Pool bar prices make a day by the pool a dry experience. Local wine ok for less than 1.50e.
Fantastic island and this must be best area to stay in. Thats if you want a quiet time.
So you have the choice - two holidays at value places like this one, or one at a 'better' Hotel?

Room Tip: Just ask for a quiet one and ensure view not obscured by trees (did hear of someone with that proble...
3 Thank Larry S
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

we are an older couple, this hotel has wonderful views but it is on a very steep hill not suitable for walking. the hotel bus only operates on week days, the bus has seen better days very rickety, I was surprised it made it down hill.

The 3 star should be reclassified as a disaster,hotel is very old fashioned, like the staff, especially the evening staff in dinning room. the guest seem to be there for their convenience. poor attitude very aggressive. all the meals are just warm and not very appealing. however our room was a good size and reasonably comfortable. if you like stepping in to an Adams family house of horrors this hotel is for you ! I wont be back !

I have been spoiled by hotels that think there guest are important and treat them accordingly.

3 Thank DAVID C

Travelers are raving about these Puerto de la Cruz hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

My partner and I have just returned from a much-needed holiday, and had a fantastic time. However, the hotel did not factor into this. I don't want to try and force other readers into agreeing with my rating, so I will just write what I felt, and you can make up your own mind.

The food was awful. The choice was poor, and at breakfast I did not once see the food being changed for fresh. I tried to tomato soup on the first night, and it tasted like gravy mixed with ketchup, and was a dull brown colour. I found the waiter surly and unhelpful- he refused to serve my partner coffee and told him to go to the bar if he wanted any. This was a bit unpleasant as we had been travelling all day, and one would have expected this to be made available...if not just so the waiter could earn himself a nice tip!

The room was very dated, when we first arrived there was a huge dead cockroach in the bathroom and dead bugs splattered on the walls and ceiling. The balcony sliding door was not double glazed, so we could hear a lot of noise if anyone was outside, and the walls were very thin too- on our last night, I had to open the room door and yell down the corridor for the occupants of another room to keep it down, as it was 2 am. I did not feel confident in approaching the reception to rectify this or any of my other issues as the chap their did not seem able to speak good English and I would have just confused him.

The beds were two singles pushed together- not suitable for a couple. The end of my bed was sagging and broken, and there were springs digging into my back. The pillows were not comfortable and the blankets were very dusty. The swimming pool was like a silence zone, full of older people reading books and I felt awkward making any sort of noise there while swimming.

That said, the mini golf was fun, but it did not look very safe and most of it looked like it could collapse at any moment.

The area is brilliant, however I would not stay here again and would rather pay more for a nicer holiday experience.

5 Thank Liz H
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

well, I had to stay in Puerto de la Cruz and I didn't book in advance, neither read any review or asked for any advice. The hotel I wanted was booked so we just got in this one.
The hotel has not a modern decoration but it's really clean ( what I really demand) .
My bedroom was wide and simply funtional. 2 beds, sofa, wardrobe, safe ( extra charge ) tv, not nice deco but wide and a terrace with sea views.
Simple bathroom, no shower gel or shampoo, just small soap and 2 glasses, but onece again. Clean.
The bed was ok.
I would suggest to get new towels, even hen they are clean time passes and you notice that lol.
Breakfast: Fresh fruit, papaya and oranges, nice. Not much variety of cereals, but 4 types of bread, eggs, bacon and sausages ( too much for me)
Pool area and playground was fine, separate areas so children do not bother others while playing.
It was ok to saty there

Room Tip: Room 703 has sea views but see is not that close. It was quiet but didn't spend much time in the...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Arantxa_Ros
Worcestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

This was a much needed holiday, and although the hotel is out of town, there is a lovely walk down through waterfalls, trees and shrubs, which didn't take very long. I did attempt to walk back up on one occasion, but either caught the courtesy bus or a tax 3€50 the rest of the week. The rooms are really nice, freshly painted with adequate if slightly dated furniture, but nothing to complain about. We did not have a sea view, but the sight of Teide when you woke each morning more than compensated. The staff are courteous and did their best to answer any queries.
Our chambermaid was particularly helpful. We wanted 2 pillows and a bath mat which were there the next morning. The food wasn't up to Ritz standard, but there was always an adequate salad alternative, so there was no need to starve. Unfortunately the lift broked down twice whilst we were there, one time with us in it, but we managed to open the inner doors and as it was jammed about 12 inches below the next floor, we had to clamber out. The gardens were a feature of the hotel, they were really lovely as was the swimming pool. There was a bar in the garden and crazy golf and table tennis. There was a very old minibus which took you to town and back, however, it only held 14 people and when it was full the driver wouldn't go back for anyone left, but taxis were cheap enough. Remember that this is a 3* hotel not a 5*. All in all a nice break with no t.v. to distract us.

Room Tip: Higher floors have best views
1 Thank BillyBigelow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto de la Cruz
Hotel Perla Tenerife
#25 of 80 in Puerto de la Cruz
Panoramica Garden
Panoramica Garden
#61 of 80 in Puerto de la Cruz

Been to Miramar Hotel Tenerife Island? Share your experiences!