“Dated” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Catalonia Las Vegas

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Catalonia Las Vegas
Ranked #13 of 80 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Dated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

stayed here for 10 days early March. the hotel is very dated and has a"worn" appearance, it is in need of a refurbishment. our room was fairly small but very shabby as was the bathroom, maid every day, clean towels whenever required.the restaurant was big and airy, plenty of choice and plenty of staff, nice to be shown to a table rather than trying to find your own. the clients are mostly older, when we were there it was full of spanish "seniors" a nightmare, they took over wherever they were, dining room, concert room , bar, never bought a drink, rude.there are plenty of staff, no problems with any of them, pool area OK, free WiFi in reception, my main gripe was on departure, we had a late flight and there was no courtesy room to get showered, we couldn't pay to keep our room as the hotel was full, never had this in 40 years of travel abroad, had to change into our travel clothes when we vacated our room at 12, poor service. the hotel is in a prime position on the prom but is by no means a 4 star. the resort is for older clients, not many bars and nothing for children, would I go back to the resort or hotel again......no, would I recommend it.......no.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Juan Carlos G, Gerente at Catalonia Las Vegas, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear petere129:
First of all we would like to thank you for your comments, as the opinion of our guests is of the utmost importance to us and our main source to improve our facilities and service. We regret not having been able to fulfill your expectations.
We really hope that you decide to visit us again in the future, thus giving us another chance not only to comply with, but to exceed your highest expectations and demonstrate that our commitment towards customer’s satisfaction is a reality and not mere words. Sincerely,

Juan Carlos G. Marín.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

I spent a week at the Hotel Catalonia Las Vegas at the end of February. The weather was very pleasant indeed with temperatures of 21 to 24 degrees each day. There were a couple of days on which there was some light rain but really if you blinked you would miss it so no complaints at all about the weather.

My first impression of the hotel was of how dark the reception area is and how slow the check-in was. However, my room on the fifth floor of the hotel was absolutely fine. The room was not over large but was fine for me. The view from the balcony overlooking the promenade and the lagoon was very pleasant. Meals were fine - not outstanding but I found something that I enjoyed every evening and there was a good choice every night. The hotel is listed as a four star hotel although in honesty I would say it's probably a good three star hotel. I didn't pay a four star price as I went to the hotel on a "late deal" package and I felt I actually got very good value for money given what I had paid for the holiday.

Before I went to the hotel I read a number of reviews which stated that the dining room staff were very unfriendly. I didn't find them to be particularly friendly but they certainly weren't unfriendly and they did their job efficiently. Drinks in the restaurant were reasonably priced and it was easy just to sign for drinks each night and then settle the bill at reception when leaving the hotel. There was free wifi in the reception area and I found that it worked well most evenings when I went online to check and send emails. I hired a safe in my room and that cost 18 euros plus a refundable deposit of 10 euros.

The location of the hotel is superb. It is on the flat which for me is important as many hotels in Puerto de la Cruz are situated on very steep hills. The promenade to the left and the right of the hotel contains lots of bars and restaurants and I was very impressed at the number of public seating areas in the resort. The hotel boasts about its extensive grounds/gardens. They were not unpleasant but they were much smaller than I expected. There was entertainment each evening in the show bar. To be honest it wasn't my cup of tea but those who went to it seemed to be enjoying it - so each to their own! In the street behind the hotel there is a very good supermarket with a great selection of foodstuffs and wine.

The bus station was only about 15 minutes walk from the hotel and there were frequent buses through to the capital of the island - Santa Cruz - a journey of 40 minutes on bus number 103 which is a direct bus. Another very pleasant bus journey - which only took about 20 minutes - was to the village of Orotava up in the hills behind Puerto de la Cruz. Orotava was a delightful place and the local tourist office sold a very good map to guide visitors on walks round the historic centre of this lovely place. I enjoyed it so much that I returned a second time to have lunch in Orotava. Being Spain, the buses don't actually leave from the bus station - as it is closed - but from the street behind the bus station. I purchased a Bono Bus Card and it was handy for using on the island buses. Cards of 15 euros or 25 euros could be purchased.

Puerto de la Cruz itself was a very pleasant, low-key resort. It was fairly quiet compared to the south of the island - most places seemed to finish for the night at about 11 o'clock. The town has lots of lovely little squares and plenty of places for eating and in general prices were very reasonable. I went to Puerto de la Cruz as a single traveler and whilst I enjoyed my time there, I did find the place to be very much a place for couples so I'm not sure if I would return to it again. However, if I were going back again then I would be happy enough to return to the Hotel Catalonia Las Vegas.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Charles M
Juan Carlos G, Gerente at Catalonia Las Vegas, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear charles M.:

Burnley, Lancs.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Spent two weeks over New Year at the Las Vegas. Twentieth trip to Puerto but first to the Vegas. Represents very good value for money especially if you shop around and get a cheap flight/package. Clientele rather "vintage" meaning that the bar is a little quiet, so bring a crowd and liven it up. Staff, in the main, very pleasant. All speak some English but light up like Christmas trees if you speak some Spanish, especially the delightful lady who checked us in. The rooms are lovely. Bags of storage space, bathrooms have good plumbing, not brand new but perfectly clean and serviceable. We booked a room without a balcony and then upgraded to a sea view on arrival. Good move! Beautiful view from the balcony, but rather cool in winter so if you feel the cold, go for a rear room. The pool and garden area are lovely. What a tranquil oasis, slap in the middle of town. Pretty Canarian-style verandas and a cracking, quite sizeable pool. Lots of sun-loungers and an outdoor bar. The hotel catering is excellent and very varied. There is a decent range of wine to buy in the dining room so the evening meal can be extended as in a restaurant, rather different from many package hotels. Possibly the civilising influence of lots of Spanish guests helps! I have used the bar and cabaret rooms down the years but they now seem very under-used. There is a limited all-inclusive deal which I would not bother with due to the quietness of the bars. I advise the hotel to re-start attracting people in off the street and unlocking the lavatories to non-guests is a necessity. The main bar is quite spectacular and could accommodate big crowds, especially if the weather is inclement, and it's a shame to see it so under-used. The two for one happy hour is from 4 o'clock until 5 o'clock. Moving this back by an hour or two would generate far more custom and atmosphere. The whole hotel is well-maintained and the cleaning staff very thorough throughout. It is in an ideal location, on the promenade, handy for Plaza Del Charco, Lido Martianez, shops, bars, and Puerto remains a delightful, classy resort which has been through some difficult times recently due to the cheapness of long-haul. It has redeveloped the old town area, and the council should be applauded for the pride with which they continue to maintain the resort. I'll certainly use the Las Vegas again, and will always return to Puerto.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JanetHaigh
Juan Carlos G, Gerente at Catalonia Las Vegas, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear JanetHaigh:

Bedford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

my husband and I stayed here in February during Carnival. I wrote a review on my return but as it has not appeared I am writing another.

The location of the hotel is very good. The food was reasonable especially the breakfasts. The room was comfortable especially the beds - we like hard beds.

We ensured we were given a pool side room to get the sunshine.

The entertainment was reasonable with one very good magician one evening.

All the staff were very friendly.

There were three lifts which only took 6 people so during busy times (breakfast and dinner) if you were on a lower floor the lift wnet passed full - better to get a room on a higher floor.

Note of caution - we went to Santa Cruz during carnival and my husband had his wallet stolen very professionally.

However we still had a good value holiday and would recommend this hotel as a good one for a stay in Puerto de la Cruz

Room Tip: for the sun get a pool view room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear bigtrippertoo:
We thank you for your positive comments about our hotel. It helps us to keep working and try to improve every day. It's a great satisfaction to know that we have met your expectations during your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back.
Of course, we take note of all your suggestiones, in order to improve our service. I hope you will realize the improvements in your next visit.
Best regards,

Brighton, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Location cannot be faulted, right on the water, direct access to the promenade and the lido and ideally located for the 'Old Town' of Puerto de la Cruz.
Hotel is a 1960's tower block and we were on the 12th floor with fantastic views across the water and the lido. All sea-facing rooms have a large balcony but because they are North-facing do not get any sunshine so almost a waste of time. Our room was large, basic and a bit dated as was the bathroom, although cleanliness was good.
The whole hotel seems very dated including all the communal areas, the lifts must be original to the building and were painfully slow.
The most disappointing aspect of our stay was the food, it can only be described as average at best.
The hotel advertise free wi-fi but in reality it doesn't work, not even in the lobby, we found ourselves next door at McDonalds most days just so that we could access the internet.
Another bugbear is that you have to hire beach towels! - what's that all about! - can't they just provide them in each room? - For us English abroad, there is no hospitality tray, so no tea/coffee making facilities. TV advertised English channels but once again they don't exist.
It is worth noting that this hotel is very popular with an older crowd - younger couples really stand out!
One tip for management: Try the orange juice that you serve for breakfast yourselves - it is disgusting!

Room Tip: If you want a sunny room - make sure you book a room that overlooks the pool area and not the sea.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fletcherandcole
Juan Carlos G, Gerente at Catalonia Las Vegas, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Cole and Fletcher:
First of all we would like to thank you for your comments, as the opinion of our guests is of the utmost importance to us and our main source to improve our facilities and service. We regret not having been able to fulfill your expectations and we would like to clarify some points:
We had a problem with the Wi-fi during two days, but it is already fixed up.
About the beach towels, just to remember to you that we did not hire it, but toke a deposit, given back to you the last day, when you turned back the towels.
Related to TV english channels, confirm that we have Sky news, CNN, Eurosport.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

This hotel is most definitely only three star, the rooms are in need of upgrading with tired decor, and furniture, the bed probably the worst I have ever come across, hard, squeaky with no softness whatsoever. We were unfortunate to be placed in an end corridor room, which is the smaller room with an unbelievably restricted opening in the patio door to step out sideways on to the balcony, anyone of larger build would struggle with this also the step down. After registering my discontent and requesting another room I was told to come back the next day, which I did to be told they were full and come back the next day! On the third day to my surprise a room was available with a sea view, this was a much better, spacious room, bed still the same, however we had traded the sun on the pool side for none on the front of the hotel. The food was uninspiring on an evening and could be presented better, we loved the sardines and tuna and salad but hot mains were often overcooked and quite bland in flavour, there was a themed night one evening which delivered enchiladas, ribs and chilli the best night in our opinion. Wine is ordered by the bottle and is very reasonable and brought back to your table the next evening. Breakfast was good with a chef working tirelessly on the hot plate, cooking to order, eggs, omelettes etc. The dining area could also be spruced up, it is very like a canteen. The staff in this area have a huge amount of work in turning this around after breakfast for lunch, then dinner so all credit to them. Pool area ok, towels are 10 euros deposit, pleasant covered landing to sit in shade or catch the last rays. The guests were mainly in the the 70,s age group and were well catered for in terms of food choice and entertainment many of them being returners, they are familiar with the hotel and its ideal location, and I can see why they keep coming back, we are in our fifties and felt like youngsters! as far as I could see there was no provision for children, so not a family orientated hotel. The location is situated right on the sea front so there are no steps or a steep walk as in other areas of this resort, we didn't venture far, took the free train to Loro Parque,which we enjoyed, I think it,s overpriced at 33euros but didn't begrudge because of the great conservation work it does. Lovely town square just 10mins away with plenty of restaurants, and music and a nice promenade. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the sun shone for 6/7 days.

Room Tip: poolside for sun all day,
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lynn_186394
Juan Carlos G, Gerente at Catalonia Las Vegas, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear lYNN_186394:

First of all we would like to thank you for your comments, as the opinion of our guests is of the utmost importance to us and our main source to improve our facilities and service. We regret not having been able to fulfill your expectations and we would like to clarify some points.

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

This hotel enjoys an excellent position on the seafront and is close to the Lido, a Casino,a beach,various shops,bars,clubs, restaurants and the old Town.It also has some transport links just outside..The area is therefore busy and can be noisy at night.
The hotel did not meet the 4star standards we expected and would be better described as 3 star.The building (including bedrooms )is shabby and poorly maintained.We found the cleaning /chambermaids friendly ,competent and helpful but generally our experience of the rest of the staff was disappointing .From the management down they lacked customer service skills. Meals were mediocre in presentation,quality and choice.There were some bad lapses of basic hygiene in the dining room.Our room was a reasonable size but lacked a fridge and tea/coffee making facilities.It did however overlook the pool ,had a good view of Mt. Teide and was light as it got sunshine all day (unlike the side with a sea view).Most evening entertainments tended to start after 10pm whch considering most guests were older was too late.
Puerto de la Cruz has a good bus sevice with links to most places(get a Bono card),parking can be horrendous but there is something for everyone in and around the town.
We would return to Puerto but not to this hotel.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple