“You will have a lovely time!”
Review of H10 Tenerife Playa

H10 Tenerife Playa
Ranked #9 of 80 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Wiltshire
“You will have a lovely time!”
Reviewed March 2, 2007

My girlfriend and I have just come back from 7 nights at the H10 Tenerife Playa hotel in Puerto De La Cruz. We paid only £350 each for 7 nights half board and were really surprised at how nice the hotel was.

Some of the reviews I have read said the food was rubbish and slop. THIS ISNT TRUE! I am quite fussy at what I eat as is my GF and there really was something there for everyone. There was a wide range of foods for the different nationalities that visit the hotel. Mainly Germans, Spanish and British. The food was always kept hot; any anything that hadn’t been touched for a while was always taken away and replaced.

Breakfast was cereals, bacon/eggs etc, fresh fruit, bread meats and cheeses etc. You could eat as much as you like, making as many trips as you like. Coffee, tea and juices were also included for breakfast.

Dinner was a selection of meats cooked in different ways, fish, salads, just about everything you could think of. Dessert would be ice cream, cakes and pastries, custard and a variety of other things. Anyone who complains really wants to move into the real world. If you paid for breakfast, and dinner everyday at a local restaurant and could eat as much a you wanted you would pay for food more than you would pay for the entire holiday at the H10 hotel. The standard of food wouldn’t be any better either!

The location is great, you are right on the beach although its quite small and the sea is quite rough, although it was February. There are plenty of shops locally and everything is quite accessible should you have a buggy or wheel chair. The lagoon opposite the hotel is lovely, with lots of pools and sun beds. It costs around £2 per day to use. However the hotel pools are very good. There are plenty of sun beds although they do get reserved by guests placing towels on them in the morning. But there always seem to be plenty. There is also a sun terrace on the sixth floor with sun beds. There is also a nudist terrace on the tenth floor if you like that sort of thing. Don’t let this put you off. Its not in your face if you pardon the expression

The hotel bar is very good. The measures of spirits are more like doubles, and are genuine brands. The cocktails are good too. Happy hour is 5pm – 6pm where you buy one drink and get one free. Just remember if you want two Jack Daniels during happy hour, just order one. If you order two you will get four. Cocktails and Champagne are not included as you would expect, but happy hour proves very popular.

Our room was quite small, but very clean, with everything you would expect. There is a safe which costs around £10 per week. A TV with a couple of British channels to keep you updated. A hair dryer and towels etc. You do get the use of towels for the sun beds by the pool, which is good.

When we were at the H10 it was mainly occupied by older couples but I think its just the time of year as they are getting away from the cold winters in the rest of Europe. Not that I had a problem with this, they were all very nice and everyone got on very nicely. There isn’t really much entertainment at the hotel to speak of, but you make that yourself I think. To be honest we really couldn’t fault this hotel, the staff were nice and helpful. It decorated to quite a high standard. Although looking at some of the reviews some people expect the Ritz Carlton when the pay for Holiday Inn. We will definitely return to this hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Small room
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank PobandBear

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Mirfield, West Yorkshire
Reviewed February 25, 2007

After a week at this hotel I am a bit baffled by derogative comments made in previous reviews.

1. The food was totally acceptable, in fact the show cooking was excellent.

2. The pool guy man was brilliant. He waited until 10.30 on a morning and if no-one had taken their sunbed then he removed the towels!!!! All credit to the guy, an absolute hero!!!!

3. A perfect position for a hotel. Can't fault this.

4. Yes they have German and Spanish tourists but its an International hotel. If you dont like foreigners, who are quite ignorant when it comes to manners, then go to Blackpool for your holidays.

All in all a very pleasant stay from a hotel that to be fair is ready for a refurb.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — rude foreigners
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
5 Thank JohnGMirfield
Lancashire, UK
Reviewed February 5, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for a week half board at the end of January 07.

The good bits: great location, pools were quite nice and not too busy, nice view over the ocean from the restaurant

The bad bits: the food was vile institutional slop, the rooms were not cleaned to a very high standard (there was a long hair on the mirror in the bathroom when I arrived - I decided to keep an eye on it to see how thoroughly we got cleaned - it was still there the day we left a week later)

I know the rules about how hotels get star ratings are a bit weird, I've stayed at some real crackers that only had 2 stars because they didn't have a trouser press in the room (or whatever) BUT you come to expect a certain standard from 3, 4 or 5 star hotels, no matter where you are in the world. This is NOT a 4 star hotel. If you go thinking "3 star, and I'm eating every meal elsewhere" you won't be too disappointed.

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank snuggle_muffin
Suffolk, England
Reviewed January 31, 2007

My husband and I and four friends stayed at this hotel for one week in January. We usually stay in the Canary Islands at this time of year for a bit of winter sunshine. We chose the hotel mainly for its location as one of our party has a mobility problem and most of the hotels in Puerto de la Cruz are located in a hilly position. I had read the reviews, which were mixed, but kept an open mind. The hotel did not disappoint. The location was absolutely brilliant. It is set opposite the newly refurbished Lido, facing the sea and a pedestrianised promenade which is only a few minutes walk to the centre of Puerto de la Cruz. We had sea facing rooms which, it is true, could have done with a bit of updating, but were quite adequate and kept very clean with the towels changed every day and the bedlinen changed during the week. It is true that the staff had a limited command of English but as we were in Spain we found this quite acceptable and found no problem conveying our wishes to them. The buffet was of the standard we always get at 4 star hotels in Spain. There were grill stations with meat and fish dishes freshly cooked each evening and omelettes, fried eggs, bacon, etc at breakfast time. There was a good choice of food to suit all tastes including chips at breakfast time if you so chose! There was a Happy Hour from 5 till 6 in the evenings but only order one drink if you want two the same or you will get four - if you see what I mean! The evening entertainment was about the standard of most Spanish hotels - I will leave you to judge for yourself but there is plenty going on in Puerto de la Cruz itself if you feel like a promenade after dinner. The pool area was well maintained, although I can see it would not accommodate all the guests if they chose to use it at the same time but the Lido Martinez is just across the promenade. All in all we enjoyed our holiday and would stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — rooms need updating
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
12 Thank annie58
UK
Reviewed December 30, 2006

I can't think of a better position to be in, right opposite the lido, breakfast overlooking the beach and breaking waves. An attractive short stroll to the harbour, shops and squares, with resturants and small shops all along the way.

The service in the hotel was very good they really did make an effort, we had twin beds and asked them to be made up to a double, they did this within 15 mins. You do have to request a room with a balcony when booking and this does cost extra.

Rooms are not huge but clean and have everything but a minibar - which you need to ask for.

There is a policy of not reserving sun beds which is fair enough and they will try to uphold this rule as the beds are for everyone, the pool staff take great pride in their work. Pool gets the sun all day.

Breakfast could not be faulted, slight variations everyday and good range of choice. With microwaves to warm food up and attentive staff again.

Parking is all pay parking around the hotel and is tight there is a large free car park about 15mins walk away just the other side of the harbour.

Good provision for disabled and elderly the staff are only too willing to help, one regular customer said that some of the staff had been with the hotel for 30-40 years, so it's nice to know the hotel must treat their staff well.

All in all a great stay we cannot think of a hotel we would have prefered to stay in.

Russ and Vanessa

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No Car Park
  • Tips/Secrets — Jardin Acatico just below the main Casino at the top of town, retreat into this tranquil garden for a tea or snack beautiful terraced garden that us sure to surpise you
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
12 Thank IslandofsandDOTcom
linconshire
Reviewed November 4, 2006

I have just got back from my first vsit to tenerife with hubby, child age 7 and mum and dad.

(THE GOOD) When we arived we were placed in rooms next to each other overlooking the lido. Upon booking we were told that one room would have a balcony and one not as there was only one left. We were both given a balcony which was nice.
(THE BAD) Our room was small and only just fit the 3 beds in for me hubby and little boy. It was a good job that we get on is all I can say. There was a drain smell in our room all holiday coming from the bathroom. This was also outside the hotel.

The food was OK but after 2 weeks became a chore. Looking at the prices in the local restaurants,I wish we have gone B&B.
We saw a lovely cockroach taking a walk around the dining room. Ummmmmm what can I say.
The restaurant staff were nice and tried hard to speak to us although at times we struggled with communication.
The bar staff were fun to deal with. We ordered 2 small local beers with lime, a large beer and we recieved 3 pints and a glass of lemonade!! we just took it and laughed it off.

The pool attendant is a grumpy and miserable little man. He shouted at my 7 year old to get out of the jaccuzzi (granted he should not have been in there but if he asked nicely I would not have minded) He then threw our camera and personal belongings onto the floor with no respect to move our sunbeds so he could get to a hatch. The policy of not saving sunbeds is a joke. Some people left towels on all day and not once did they return.

I think we were the only english in the hotel the first week and my experience of sharing with german and spanish was not good. They barged into you and never smiled or spoke. they pushed in and my poor 7 year old was walked into on many occassion.

I don't think the hotel is 4 star.Its more 3 star and the only thing I liked was its position in PDLC.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — smell
  • Tips/Secrets — dont expect too much