“Fantastic Location, Good Value for Money”
Review of H10 Tenerife Playa

H10 Tenerife Playa
Ranked #9 of 81 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Reviewed February 2, 2010

We stayed as an extended family group (parents, two sons and their girlfriends) ages ranged from early twenties to mid-fifties.
We had a great time at this hotel. The boys had been with their parents before, but neither girlfriend had been to Tenerfife before at all.
The location is fantastic, right on the beach front, and walking distance to all the bars and shops in the lovely old town area.
The rooms were basic, and probably a little dated, the whole upstairs of the hotel could do with a bit of updating, but this doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with it. Our room was always clean and tidy when we came back in the afternoons. The airconditioning unit is obviously very old, as it's so noisy. My boyfriend and I are sound sleepers and managed to sleep with it on all night, but I know others in our group had to switch it off at night, which would have made it too warm for me.
The food was ok, by no means michelin standard, and by the end of the week it was all getting pretty repetitive. Having said that though, we were on half board, which is excellent value and we always ate well. There were also plenty of vegetarian options and there was a different special each night which was cooked to order. I also loved the cold soups!
The bar had a buy one get one free offer on at around 5pm each evening when we were there, which was excellent value, particularly as Tenerife measures seem to be however much the barman fancies pouring in the glass which is usually a lot!
The pools were brilliant. There was one heated, which the Spaniards seemed to favour, and another unheated which was perfect for cooling off in. Do be careful of the pool attendant, if you put your towels down before breakfast, don't expect them to still be on your loungers when you come down! However, if you're good to him, he's good to you. Just don't take advantage and you'll be fine.
The area is great, we didn't really do much, this was a relaxation holiday more than anything else, and we were happy to spend most of the day by the pool and just go out for a wander and a couple of drinks in the evening.
We did go to Loro Parque one day which is definitely worth the trip - take the free train/bus which leaves form the centre of town, I think every 20 minutes or so. Get there early in the morning as the queues will be quite big. It's a full day out, but definitely worth it - the whale and dolphin shows were just as good as Sea World in Florida, and infact one of the whales they have there is Shamu's baby!
I would come back, definitely. But I can imagine that in the height of summer it would be a lot busier, and more people clammoring for space in the pool - if you can, steer clear of the school holidays. When we went it was mostly couples over 40/50, which didn't bother us at all - meant we had a great peaceful and quiet holiday!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank abi3009
There are newer reviews for H10 Tenerife Playa

Reviewed November 15, 2009

It was my second visit to this hotel and I was pleased to discover that it is still a delight.
It has the best location in Puerto de la Cruz, right opposite the lido. The service is excellent and the staff are efficient and helpful. I emailed the hotel before our visit and they immediately responded, reserving a disabled room and ensuring that a meal was prepared for our late arrival.
The food is plentiful, with lots of variety and the dining room is delightful.
The rooms were of a high standard with a very good cleaning service and all three of our rooms had lovely sea views.
The evening entertainment was good, with a very pleasant indoor and outdoor bar area.
The pool area has been redesigned since my last visit, so that there are now two large pools, one of which is heated.
I can only find words of praise for this hotel and I would recommend it to everyone, although it might not be quite so appealing to families with young children, as it attracts a lot of middle-aged people.
We had a wonderful holiday and I hope to visit the Tenerife Playa again soon.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank Sentiments
Reviewed November 2, 2009

I have been a fan of this hotel for many years and have enjoyed my stays immensely. However, this time I have had many of the faults that others have written about (and me not believed) happen to me. All are relatively minor faults but collectively add up to a very complacent and uncaring management structure I think. It has to be poor management because if they were keen and on top of the situation problems would be few and far between.

A visit to reception about a minor problem ends up with me totally frustrated because the male behind the counter can no longer speak any English, except that on previous visits I know he can speak the language.

Waiters in the bar who are more interested in chatting to one another rather than taking orders from thirsty guests! They then get offended when you walk to the bar to order direct!

Daytime activities staff that turn up late, if at all, and then say that no one wants to participate. They have no enthusiasm and do not encourage participation.

The food in the dining room, whilst still varied, was tepid most of the time. Also instead of freshly cooked bacon at breakfast, it was either microwaved or cooked in a different fashion, but not on the griddle and had the appearance of being almost raw.

With the hotel probably only about a third full, one would have thought that a good management team would have got the message across to their staff that they should be additionally attentive to their guests in the hope that the majority would then return the following year. As it is, one wonders how much longer they can continue in this fashion. Whereas in the past I would and did recommend the hotel without reservation, I can no longer.

Personally, I shall return to Puerto de la Cruz but feel sure that it will be to a different hotel.

4  Thank Stuart101
Reviewed October 16, 2009

This was our 3rd visit to the H10 Tenerife Playa and once again, we were not disappointed. We had asked for a non-smoking, pool view room, balcony and sun for most of the day so that I could sit out whilst my husband had his afternoon siesta!
Room 509 met all of these requests. Having read some recent reviews stating that the hotel was looking 'tired, drab, boring food' etc I was wondering if standards had started to slip. Certainly not. Maid service was excellent, clean towels when we requested, bedding changed twice in the week we were there and as for the food - well, what can I say.
Breakfasts - Eggs (fried, poached, omelette's, scrambled, boiled); Bacon (always);
beans, tomatoes, chips, Fruit - peaches, pears, apricots, berries, bananas in juice, yoghurts; cold meat platters; cheeses; cereals; porridge; toast (different breads); fruit juices; tea; coffee; - I could go on and on. The choice was tremendous.
Dinners - 2 soups; show cooking - fish, meat; Pasta dishes; always a large pan of Paella; On the Buffet - two other fish dishes; two other meats or chicken dishes; variety of vegetables - stuffed tomatoes, aubergines, peppers; canarian potatoes, boiled, fried, chips; sweets - always beautiful ice-creams, different flavours, fresh fruit; tartlets etc.
How someone could say they were bored beats me! Everything was beautifully presented and clean.
Yes, the waiters are not too friendly but they are too busy to stand and chat. If you make the effort then they are pleasant enough.
Yes, you do have to be ready to grab a sunbed but the pool attendant will not allow anyone to enter the pool/solarium area before 9.00am so we didn't find it a problem.
Yes, the hotel caters mainly for an older generation but we saw young babies and toddlers there throughout our stay but the Hotel was very quiet at night even though there was entertainment every night in the theatre/bar area.
Puerto De La Cruz is a beautiful as ever and we would certainly re-visit and stay at the H10 again.

2  Thank taptoes
Reviewed October 14, 2009

variety of food, great location, friendly staff. pools area is good pentry of sunbeds, rooms were very clean and spacious maid service excelant

2  Thank TeignmouthJas
Reviewed October 12, 2009

I have stopped at many hotels at the resort of Puerto del la Cruz and have never been dissapointed, that is until now. Let me start by say that initially the hotel seems to be well set out and smart and it seems that a lot of the residence are ones that have returned to the hotel year upon year, one of the residents had been there 22 times, but on this occasion had finally had to admit "it was time to look for another hotel".
The room they first gave us was dark, bleak, smelt fusty and looked over the noisy ventilation fans - so we asked for a room change at the reception. the middle aged guy at the reception was extremely rude and it took the raising of my voice to get another room.
This room was on the front so we took it - after a few days we realised there was a smell and after some looking around we found lots of mold growing on the bathroom ceiling. We decided th put on the in room air conditioning unit which worked well but sprayed water vapour out of the front so we switched it of in fear of contracting legionaires disease. Our shower then decided to spray water of of burst from the hose, we reported this and to there credit repalced it straight away. Later the chair broke on the balcony sending me to the floor - i reported this but this was never changed, we had to prop it against a wall to sit in it.
When you arrive you are give a full page of their rules - which in all honesty is for their benefit and not the holiday makers. The food was limited and boring with very little flavour, we ate out quite a lot. to sum it up this is not a four star hotel i have stopped in better two star.

2  Thank chenboy
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Do not let the bad reviews put you off this hotel. The Hotel is situated right on the front and faces the lido which is magnificent, it is close to everything you need for a great holiday. The food is very nice with plenty of variety. We stayed half board and did not have to pay for the pool as previous review states, in fact you are given free pool towels every day and can get clean ones whenever you want as long as you return the wet ones. There are plenty of British people we spoke to who say they have been coming to this hotel for years. If you ask for a room facing the Lido or a pool view with balcony you will not be dissapointed. (please not that not all pool view rooms have a balcony so make sure you ask for a pool with with a balcony if thats what you like)

3  Thank AnnHullYorkshire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto de la Cruz
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Sp...
#2 of 81 in Puerto de la Cruz
#16 of 59 in Costa Adeje
Hotel Puerto de la Cruz
Hotel Puerto de la Cruz
#19 of 81 in Puerto de la Cruz

Been to H10 Tenerife Playa? Share your experiences!