“I wouldn't stop anywhere else in Tenerife”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Marquesa Hotel

Marquesa Hotel
Ranked #30 of 80 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Leeds, United Kingdom
“I wouldn't stop anywhere else in Tenerife”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is a great hotel in a perfect position right in the heart of the old town. It is literally 2 mins from everything you need i.e. restaurants, bars, beach, shops, nightlife etc. This is the second time this year I have stayed at the Marquesa and I intend returning for a 4 week stay in November 2013. The staff are extremely helpful and most of them speak English. Meals can be taken either indoors or on the balcony where a live band plays typical canerian music every evening from 7 pm until 11 pm, I am a single traveller and the hotel meets for all my needs perfectly.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a balcony and sea view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank 224flyrgt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Well were do you start? I suppose at the beginning, when we arrived mid afternoon, given the key and finding the room not made up or cleaned ie sheets on the floor, food and other articles from the previous guests lying all roun the room did not help. Too be fair when I told them about it they offered another room.
The previous comments regarding food are quite correct, you can`t say it is in-edible but no one in there right minds would pay for it in a retaurant it would go straight back, cold, warm at best poor choice, school diners much better.
Location is very good, near to everything, best thing about the place is the coffee machine for breakfast, which says it all, that and some toast was all I could eat and I am far from being a fussy eater. cold pieces of fat for bacon, cold beans, cold chipolatas, cold eggs, get the idea?
Staff not rude but certanly not even remotely friendly. No english guests just spanish or germans
not a problem for me as I speak spanish (went to school there) but non spanish speakers would find it hard.
Overall it`s the usual story you get what you paid for, but it is a ball ache when you have paid for half board and have to walk past the buffet take a look then decide to eat at a restaurant.
My reccomendation is if you want that level of service and food then be my guest and stay there.
But why not pay a bit more and stay somewhere/anywhere that is more acceptable. The hotel next door the Monople is a million times better. Try to avoid if you can!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Alan R

Travelers are raving about these Puerto de la Cruz hotels

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I read the reviews for this hotel before we left and I was really concerned that we would be staying in some sort of dungeon! After staying in this hotel I feel I really must defend it. The location is fantastic: You're 2 minutes from really good restaurants, 10 minutes from the beach and 30 minute walk from Loro Parque if you choose to walk. We didn't have much interaction with the staff because we had everything we needed at hand but when we did speak to them, they were very friendly and helpful. Our room was pretty big with a balcony over looking the sea which was lovely. The decor IS dated but that just added to the charm. We are lovers of all things retro so it went down well with us. Everywhere was very clean and tidy. The breakfast was fine! As a vegetarian I had plenty to choose from, as did my meat-eating partner, and it was very tasty and filling. The room cost us 35 Euro a night so we feel we got a bargain. If you want the Ritz, you'll have to pay for it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank DaisyE1955
Bucharest
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Those who are looking for history, tradition, retro stile, quality Spanish guitar music, and the best position in the city, will be fully satisfied of staying here. The pyramidal and multicolored roof patio surrounded by balconies, hosts hotel reception and the lobby, as well. The reconstructed doors, windows, and furniture, the old thematic photos and painting on the walls, the ceramic, pots, and small statues in the neighboring halls of the patio, it have seemed to me the best original solution of the owners.of a hotel of over 100 years old, located on the original place of a 18th century historical house. I had stayed for 7 days in a third floor clean room with old furniture but in good condition. I am sure they have better rooms I had. Obviously if you stay longer the food will be repetitive, but for me it was OK. The pool on the roof, and deck chairs, and free WiFi in the lobby, are te be appreciated, too. Though I had no a great comfort, the atmosphere of the hotel and its position offset any small flaw. I personally I would gladly return to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Virgil M
Jersey C.I.
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Great location
Friendly staff
Old hotel which needs serious TLC
Food very hit and miss and not always fresh (Breakfast croissants and pastries) and usually cold unless you got into the dining room early.
Would not return to this hotel but would definitely return to Puerta de la Cruz which has the most stunning scenery and restaurants. See Pomodoro review.

Room Tip: If you don't mind noise the front of the hotel overlooks the square and has views of Mount Teide...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Aussiesheila54
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed here for the second time in 9 months and disagree with the negative opinions about the food, which i could have eaten every single main or side dish if it were possible to find the space. The meal times are busy, when i was there many locals ate there go figure?The rooms? some are better than others all i have used are clean.The staff are busy not rude, they are working you are not!The clock chimes till 11pm and adds charm you are in a religious country not the UK ..I will be returning some time soon its simply good value!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank alan m
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is our 8th visit to Puerto de la Cruz and first time I have felt compelled to write a review to warn people about this hotel.

We had stayed here once before and managed to change rooms afer a first dismal room and got a lovely roof terrace room. The hotel has a mixture of rooms with or without terrace.

The second time we book we specified a terrace as we thought we knew what we would be getting. How wrong I was. The room was booked via Easyjet, and our booking specified a terrace. However we must have had the hotel's "joke" room as the terrace was actually indoor s and part of the hallway, I kid you not!!! So if I opened my french doors and strolled onto me terrace, looking up I would see the ceiling and be able to have a chat with all the guests and cleaners milling around the corridor who could also see into our room. The room had no outside walls atall. Oh and the fire alarm was disconnected.

I went to reception to try to change rooms and was told none were available. Returned to room and rang Easyjet to see what my options were. Whilst on hold my wife went to reception to ask what refund we would be entitled to, and suprise suprise they found another room but warned us it would be noisy!! We are mid forties and go out every night so noise is not a problem so we changed rooms. This room was at the front of the hotel and had an enclose wooden balcony.

Sounds great on paper but in reality no. The balcony has two dead wasps nests on the ceiling and the bathroom was the size of a small caravans. Also as we were just above the canopy we were forced to buy bug spray and spray the room eveytime we left!!!, whilst all the time chasing Easyjet to get some help. Eventually after 3 nights we had enough, found another hotel and checked out as we wanted to salvage some enjoyment from the holiday.

On speaking to the Lady on reception it seems the hotel's best rooms are allocated to the guests who book for long stays (eg 3+weeks) and that means Brits who book for just a week get the worst rooms

Quick note re the buffet/food - in a word dont, it is plentiful but very poor quality and often cold. We do not come on holiday to eat at a standard far below what we would eat at home.

Room Tip: Specify an outdoor terrace at the front (specify "not 425") and cross your fingers
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple