My wife & I are just back from a week at Porto De La Cruz in Tenerife (15 - 22 Feb 2013).
The hotel El Tope was good overall -- the food is good (and that is coming from someone who does not like the 'plate & shuffle' buffet style). The service from waiters & reception staff was also good - very responsive eg Jose in the restaurent is excellent. The pool area is very private & well serviced. On the down side the hotel is rather 'jaded' - carpets are worn & the standard rooms a little scruffy.
We had a Superior Room booked through Thomson's with a sea view - however the sea view was very distant & blocked by the high rise San Felipe Hotel. So we asked to be moved to a mountain room view on the opposite side of the hotel --- these have a great view of the hillside, lots of colourful flowers etc plus a good view of Teide. However, because Thompson's did not reserve Superior Rooms with a mountain view we had to have a Standard room instead -- we have fed this back to them. So, the tip is to stay on the mountain view side of the hotel (our room was 204). Two other things about the hotel -- it has a rather 'sedate' nature & clientelle; also there is a walk down steep steps or road to the town -- this is no problem for most people.
We really liked Porto De La Cruz -- you can catch the local bus just around the corner from El Tope up into the hills/mountains -- we'd recommend walking in the Caldira & Agaumansa area (45 mins away) -- some lovely walks, all well signed & ranging from 2 hours to 5 hours! If using the local bus buy a 'BONO' card from a local shop -- this provides 'credit' on the bus at half price -- costs 15 or 25 euro per card & you can share a card between 2 - typical cost of a journey up into the mountains is only 3.60 return.Without a BONO card you pay double.
We also recommend:
* the Botanical Gardens in Porto -- absolutely fab!
* the walk to the Jardin Beach at the far end of the town -- where all the locals go
* going at Carnival time -- this is the weekend after Ash Wednesday & was fantastic -- eg 300 men dressed as women racing uphill in high heels!! Also a great display of floats etc
* the coastal walk north out of the town
Finally a note about the weather -- Porto is close to the mountains & so gets more low cloud -- we had 50% sun, 45% sun/cloud & 5% rain --- you'd be unlucky to get low cloud all week.
Overall, we had a great week and much prefer Porto to the south of the island - despite the risk of more cloud cover, there is so much more to do! We would definitely go again.
Steve & Suzanne
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Gran Hotel El Tope where you will be made to feel at home during your stay with us.Our philosophy is to create a warm and enjoyable atmosphere where all our guests are considered to be our friends.Enjoy the calmness and the facilities provided in a warm and cosy family-like atmosphere where our kind staff members will be on hand to assist you at all times.Our hotel reflects the hospitality typical of the area as acknowledged by our guests.Our guests will enjoy free Wireless DSL Internet access throughout the hotel. The Gran Hotel El Tope is magnificently located with a panoramic view of Puerto de La Cruz and the fabulous Valle de la Orotava. In addition, it is also adjacent to the Martianez Shopping Centre, which is less than five minutes walk from the Atlantic Ocean beach and next to the fabulous swimming pool complex, Lago Martianez. The hotel is only 25 and 90 kilometres from the airports Tenerife North and Tenerife South, respectively. Each room is spacious and bright with a unique and elegant character, where every detail makes a difference. Our en suite facilities included fully equipped bathrooms, hair dryer, T.V., Telephone, wall-to-wall carpet and air-conditioning, as well as an optional safe and a mini bar. Their balconies are overlooking the sea or offer a view to the mountains.The swimming pool is located in a unique setting surrounded by green vegetation and magnificent gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Travelocity and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel El Tope reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel El Tope Tenerife/Puerto De La Cruz