“Don't Be Fooled by the Nego Reviews - You Get What You Pay For”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Parque San Antonio

Parque San Antonio
Ranked #37 of 80 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Miami, Florida
“Don't Be Fooled by the Nego Reviews - You Get What You Pay For”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2010

My aunt and I traveled to Tenerife in September, 2009. After reading all the trash posted about the Hotel Parque de San Antonio I was moved to write my own comments. Yes, the place is a bit of a throwback in time but our room was spacious and clean. The gardens and walkways were beautiful. Never had a problem with any staff member. The housekeeping staff was very nice to us and complied with our every request. The concierge was particularly helpful and kind. I am disabled and he helped me up and down the entry stairs several times and/or carried my luggage, without asking. The food was abundant and many choices were available. Not gourmet or haute cuisine, but a decent meal. They even prepared breakfast for us in the wee hours of the morning when we had an early go of it because of a tour. Mind you, it was cold cuts, bread, milk and juice, but at least they had something for us. We particularly enjoyed coming back from touring late afternoon and sitting poolside with a cool drink and a snack. The bar kiosk by the pool was attended to by a charming young woman who aimed to please her customers. I would agree it is no longer a 4 star hotel, but the place was clean and off the beaten path. As I said in my title........you definitely get what you pay for. The prices are reasonable, well worth the cab fare to town. If people want more luxury, then they ought to go somewhere else, pay more and quit complaining. I am going back to Puerto de la Cruz in 2011 and will be staying at the Parque de San Antonio again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank LilMizMargi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Hertfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2010

I was on a 1 week organised walking trip and it was a good choice of hotel - comfortable room, helpful and professional staff and an excellent range of food for the evening meal. Very nice grounds - it was as if you were staying on a tropical island and an impressively large and deep pool! The walk into and out of the town centre involves a hill and some rather tedious roads, but there is a regular free bus service.
One night, we had a storm with 60mph winds - several trees were down, branches damaged and the grounds were a mess first thing in the morning - yet by midday, the ground staff had made the place immaculate again, which was most impressive!

• Stayed February 2010
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ian3193
Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2010

For my single supplement I got a large , comfortable double room, with a balcony and the added bonus of a bath, a real plus on a walking holiday. Yes, the buffet was mass catering, but there was a huge choice, including dishes cooked to order at breakfast and dinner and I enjoyed the food. Not much contact with staff, but what there was was pleasant and helpful.
The gardens are lovely. Buses and taxis are cheap and readily available

• Stayed January 2010
2 Thank Italophile21
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2010

I agree with all the bad reviews of this one star hotel to us. But the worse of all it happen on the second day that we arrived. I slip on the bathtub that was very slippery, fell on top of the bidet hit my head bad, My husband went to the receptionist that asked him if we had insurance. They send a doctor in the next fifteen minutes . He said that it was better for me to be check at the hospital. They call a taxi we had to go up those stairs and wait I was in pain. Once there they did a cap scan and said that it came out normal. Back to the hotel in a taxi at three o clock in the morning. The next day they told my husband they were going to put a rug on the tub but they never did.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank tavarcia

Travelers are raving about these Puerto de la Cruz hotels

cupar,fife
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2009

Went there speaking English,on return at Airport was speaking German,thought I'd had some kind of upset mentally.
Room,(Groundfloor) Spacious ,But very dark.Some late afternoons on return from Town,Tour,or Pool Area, We wanted to sit out on porch but were deterred by a coalition of ducks,water from above balcony,pigeons,and little Spanish Brats in need of a slap.
The Gardens are Great ,but if you have any sense stay elsewhere and just walk past the Guards on Reception to see them.
I am not a "moaning Brit Abroad Type", having travelled Internationally on Business and Pleasure many times . I can assure you that you could not find a more adaptable,friendly person,(if I do say so myself) . I try to befriend other Nationalities,and usually prefer Non British Hotels . However if you are craving to stay at this Hotel ,please be aware of a few facts.:
We stayed half board for a week,so we ran the gauntlet,and wrath of,the buffet Restaurant twice daily.Breakfast was a bit surreal,almost like being at "Custer's Last Stand" ,although he probably had better Nosh.
Breakfast starts at 7.30am,Best time to go is then!!! .Advice,good selection of fruit,followed by toast (if you have the patience),with a spread on it,and coffee,tea,or juice.(Exciting,eh?). Evening Meals start at 7.pm and probably best avoided if possible. Food selection is poor and tepid, and the younger Chefs know this,so take your first choice back if cool and he will heat a fresh portion for you. . The waiters are a mixture,some are friendly,some o.k.and some would just prefer if the place was empty so they could get on with their work. I did not really want to bother some of of the old guys as they seem to have enough problems climbing up the stairs to the Restaurant.
If you don't want much Entertainment,then this is the place for you. Apart from a grubby,dark,empty bar and a "Singer ",Composing his own Spanishy/Americano songs on his electric organ as he goes along,(2 nights each week) then you have nothing to fear.
Good thing is the free bus to Town which runs hourly each weekday till 6.30pm.Taxi costs approx 5 euros inc. small tip. HOURLY
Best to book a Trip or a Tour for a Saturday 'cos theres nothing happening at Hotel,and No tours on Sundays,when its a good idea to either laze by the Pool,or get a Taxi into town.
Pool area is quite good,for the odd swim/dive etc, and just to lie in the sun.
Conclusion: Unless you like long walks,(uphill both ways),or like your hot meal "cool" , with little variety,and coming back to your room at night to watch Dick Van Dyke on a mini telly,then go elsewhere.
We found the Room Maids friendly and good and all other Guests ,be they Spanish,German,or British friendly and laid back .A bonus being no British neds shouting profanities
However ,whether Spanish,German,or British,we were making the best of what was there,and in a way resigned to fate.
Overall though the holiday was good despite the Hotel , especially a trip to El Tiede.

From:Una Habitacion con camas gemelas y bano!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jack083
manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

Hotel,…very clean, nice gardens, could do with providing brewing facilities in the rooms though, I have never stayed in a hotel before that doesn’t !! so if you like a brew first thing. forget it !!.. staff mostly nice, some in reception have had a personality bypass !! Entertainment next to none, unless you count someone playing a cd !!, Things for kids to do, colouring in book and that’s it !!.. Food on the whole very good,

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank bolton1960
england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2009

Our room was ok, quite big with a nice balcony over the garden/swimming pool area. We stayed for 2 weeks , half board. If you dont mind going for breakfast or dinner as soon as the buffet opens you will eat nicely. I think that the hotel`s problems are some guests. Spanish guests (from mainland) were very noisy, rude, smoking all the time around kids in the swimming pool area. Spanish kids were even worse, shouting at each other, spitting, fighting and using the kids swimming pool as battlefield. Their parents could care less.
They would come to the restaurant in group of 10/15 taking over everything. If there was a queue they would just go round it.
Anyway, the hotel itself was a bit old, but we enjoyed our stay. Our 16 months old baby loved the cats living in the garden and she loved the paella.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family