We were taken here by my wife's mother and father as a treat, so far be it for me to criticise their generosity, or choice of hotel. But my opinion of the hotel is based on the facilities and service received during our 2 week stay, and my perception of value provided.
The hotel seems to cater mainly for spanish and German guests, which was a plus point in some ways, as we wanted to feel like we'd got away from the UK, but this sometimes meant the guests dominated the staffs attention - or got priority.
The hotel seemed understaffed in the service areas other than at meal times, which meant only one bar area was open at any one time, and usually only one member of staff serving (most of whom seemed unhappy in their jobs and only had one speed setting - slow!), this meant a que for drinks every time.
We tried to make it our mission to make the barman, who mostly works the pool bar, smile. Only once did we achieve this, by tipping him!
Since when does service with a smile cost extra?
Then there was the issue of trying to make sure your drinks were actually on the all inclusive plan to avoid further charges on checkout.
Tip - want a mojito without paying 4e? Ask for a rum and 7up with a slice of lemon, oh and have you got a sprig of mint por favor? One of the barmen laughed and high fived my wife when he clocked on to my wife doing this.
The Wi-Fi like the rest of the services were stretched to capacity. If you manage to get your device connected, leave it switched on so that it keeps the ip address, as the availability is limited to 254 slots, and people dont tend to get booted off often enough, so those that stay connected have internet, those that switch off their devices face a struggle to get back on - I needed to access an important email and it took my phone 3 days to get back on the network!
When we arrived the evening entertainment was a bit poor, and seemed to cater for the aging Spanish guests - Peter the dj was quickly educated as to what sort of music was needed to fill a dance floor, and credit to him, he was willing to take requests and between him and the few English guests, we had the dance floor packed for the rest of the stay!
He actually thanked us for our efforts, and is now looking into ways of taking requests via txt messages etc.
The magic show was awesome! As were the group of girls that danced one night. The snake show wasnt much of a show, more like get your photo took with a snake!
The poolside activities were all but non existent initially, and we had to seek out Stephanie who was supposed to organise such things - we too had her getting stuck in and enjoying her job. To the extent that not only was she diving in the pool when we needed an extra player for water polo, but she even came in on her day off to organise a game!
The food served offered very little choice for vegetarians on most days, then one day about 5 different dishes that were suitable! To be fair there was always something available, but as I dont eat fish either, my choice was often salad, bread, chips and ice cream. Everyone else enjoyed the food and choice, but commented that it was a struggle getting served sometimes or getting buffet trays replenished.
All in I enjoyed our stay at the hotel, but knowing how much my in-laws would have paid for this holiday, I felt that the hotel was struggling to provide the level of service and facilities guests have paid for. I would retuen to this hotel, but would suggest a half board stay might be better overall value.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Puerto de la Cruz is located in the residential area of La Paz of Puerto de la Cruz, with fantastic views towards the sea or towards Mount Teide. The hotel has been recently refurbished and is surrounded by a splendid subtropical garden with a large variety of regional plants.It is situated 10 minutes from the city centre and from the Martiánez swimming pool and artifitial lake complex, creation of the lanzaroteño artist César Manrique.The capital Santa Cruz is 35 km away and the airports Reina Sofía (south) and Los Rodeos (north) are 96 km and 25 km away respectively. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Puerto de la Cruz reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sol Puerto De La Cruz Hotel Puerto De La Cruz
- Puerto De La Cruz Sol
- Hotel Puerto De La Cruz Tenerife