“good value...based on price”

Hotel Puerto de la Cruz
Ranked #17 of 80 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Chester, United Kingdom
“good value...based on price”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

having read some negative reviews of this hotel , i feel compelled to write in their defence. i have stayed at this hotel twice, Ocober 2010 and January 2013.
yes, there are some problems with the hotel, but you should bear in mind how much you have paid to stay here, this hotel is cheaper than other hotels in Puerto,
The rooms are fine, all being good sized with plenty of draw space and the bathroom is ample in size. The balconies if facing the road offer great views up to Teide and the Oratavo Valley.
I know people have had issues with the main road in front of the hotel, well the roadworks have now been completed, and the traffic noise is hardly intrusive, the views more than compensate for this,

This is certainly a "german" friendly hotel,the entertainment is definitely tailored towards the german guests, however you dont go on holiday to watch an ordinary cabaret singer.

The hotel's location in La Paz may cause some patrons problems, the number of steep steps down to town centre can be wearing, this can be avoided by following the road route looping round the front of the El Tope. The hotel does also offer a courtesy bus service down the hill.By turning right down the main road, you are quickly into the centre of "old" Puerto de la Cruz, and the bus stop is ideal for getting around the island, the express bus for Santa Cruz also stops here.

The food was ok, We stayed for two weeks, so on some days, when few residents were in the hotel, the food standards did fall. but all in all not bad hotel.

Room Tip: dont worry about the main road noise, the views from the balcony more than compensate and you get pl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank NorthernCockney1
Dirección H, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear NorthernCockney1,

First of all I would like to thank you very much for having chosen our Hotel once again for your holidays and also for sharing your experience amongst us with other Tripadvisor travellers. I am very pleased to know that you had an enjoyable stay amongst us and I appreciate the information you share on our rooms and views, on the location of our Hotel and our shuttle bus service down to the touristic center.

As regular customers of this Hotel, I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you during another visit, thank you for your kind comments, yours sincerely,

Domingo Castro, Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I took a late booking via Thomson and was a little wary after reading reviews.The hotel was excelent and staff very helpful.2nd day reperted a faulty light ad requested extra pillows.Both items dealt with in 20 minutes.Food at this hotel is top class and plenty of variation.No problem with sun beds.My gripe would be with thomson for not informing us that it is mainly a hotel for Germans which is what the hotel is geared up for.First time to this part of Island and wouldnt visit again.Found the harbour area scruffy and the beaches littered with rubbish but the excelent hotel pool area was clean and good.(tmartin09@live.co.uk).

Room Tip: We had a room with a sea view.Very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tony M
Dear Tony M,

On behalf of the hotel staff and myself, I would like to convey to you our sincere thanks for your comments and for sharing your satisfaction with us. It is a pleasure for us to know that you have had an enjoyable stay amongst us and that our facilities, buffet, staff and pool have covered your expectations.

I regret that you did not find the city of Puerto de la Cruz to your liking and, although you say you will not return to the north of the island again, should you change your mind I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you personally to our hotel.

Yours sincerely, Domingo Castro Bello, Manager.
UK
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Positive: The hotel is very clean. The bathroom is very modern and well designed. It has parking facility ( hence the location on a hill doesn't affect us as we had a hired car). The location is very convenient to join the main roads for excursions and is only ten minutes' walk to town.Great variety of food choice and the lobby is very spacious.
Negative: It had only one functioning toaster for 200-300 people Though air conditioning is advertised, the facility is not available. The receptionist stated that it was still winter though the room was very hot even at night, hence no good sleep. There is a charge to use the safe. More ridiculous is the daily charge for the fridge even though one just wants to store one's own bottle water.

Room Tip: Higher floors have good view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RoseHUk
Dirección H, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Deare RoseHUK

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen our hotel for your holiday and secondly for habing taken your time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to know that you found the situation of our hotel, our installations and the variety of our food choice to your liking. Regarding the toaster, our Restaurant normally has two. I am sorry that one of them was not functioning.

Thank you once again for your positive feedback and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you on a future occasion, yours sincerely,

Domingo Castro Bello, Manager.
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a week and i found it good value for the money, our room was clean and i had a good nights sleep, i found the bed very comfortable and our maid really nice and friendly although i am sorry that i cannot say that about most of the staff, but all in all i enjoyed my stay as the food was very good, the only bad point was the 156 steps down into town.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ajallan
Dear ajallan:

First of all I would like to thank you for informing other Tripadvisor travellers of your good experience in our hotel. I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay amongst us and your good feedback on the room and our buffet encourages us to continue offering our guests the best service. Concerning the steps down into town, I am sorry you were not aware from the written informaion we give our clients during check-in that our hotel offers a shuttle bus service to/from the resort from Monday to Friday at different hour intervals.

Never the less, I am pleased that overall we have lived up to your expectations and I hope to have the pleasure of greeting you personally during a future visit.

Yours sincerely, Domingo Castro Bello, Manager.
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

My room wasn't available and they gave me a superior room with sitting room and a good bathroom. Most people who stayed here were foreigner but there was no problem some staff spoke in English.
Nice swimming pool and garden.
It's well located, although there are a lot of stairs to get there.

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank Beacal
Dirección H, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Beacal:

Thank you very much for leaving your kind comment about your stay in our hotel on Tripadvisor and it is a pleasure for me to know that you enjoyed your holiday amongst us. In relation to the stairs you mention, I´m sorry you were not aware that our hotel offers a shuttle bus service to/from the resort from Monday to Friday at different hour intervals.

Thank you for having chosen the Hotel Puerto de la Cruz for your holidays and I hope to have the pleasure of greeting on a future visit.

Yours sincerely, Domingo Castro Bello.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2013

My wife and I were bussed to this hotel when our flight to Bournemouth was cancelled because of snow at home. This hotel was a huge contrast to where we had spent the previous two weeks in the south of the island. We realise that a hotel has to be found with enough space for a whole coach load and on arrival discovered why this was the case here. The hotel, which somehow has been awarded four stars, is very old fashioned and in need of an update. Our room was on the first floor with a view of a wall fronted by a broken concrete fountain with no water. To the side was an air vent that led down to the kitchen and emphasised the clatter of plates. The lifts were very noisy, although our room was not that close to them it kept us awake. On the plus side we could have no complaint about the cleanliness of the room. We would not stay at this hotel by choice but under the circumstances it was better than a night at the airport.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gordon06
Dear Gordon06

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor and I regret the negative impression you have taken back with you . Having stayed only one night amongst us due to the cancellation of your flight, we were unable to change you to a room more in accordance with your expectations, I am sure this would have improved your perception of our Hotel.

I appreciate your positive comments about the cleanliness and I am sorry to know that you would not stay here by choice, yours sincerely,

Domingo Castro Bello.

Travelers are raving about these Puerto de la Cruz hotels

Dorset
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had to stay an extra night on Tenerife as our flight was cancelled and we were put up at the Hotel Puerto De La Cruz which is supposedly 4*.
I cannot fault Thomsons on their organisation to put up all the passengers etc, they deserve a bouquet BUT we were put up at this hotel. We were one of the very fortunate couples when allocated a room - it was a suite :-) very good, although extremely cold, we could not get the a/c to work. That was the good part of our stay.
Found the reception staff extremely brusque and seemed not to care.
I wonder if the management have ever eaten in the dining room, the food was not up to what one would expect from a 4* establishment. I tried the soup which was just about luke warm - the salads and vegetables looked iffy!! The choice of fruit - to find oranges cut in half and put in a bowl, thought that only happened in a nursery school. The plates were not cleared from our table at all, I saw other quests moving them themselves.
Breakfast was no better, why put cut lettuce (probably from the night before) out??
a Good thing - the Wifi was free :-)
If we had booked to stay there, would have loooked for somewhere else :-0

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Dorsethill
Dirección H, Director General at Hotel Puerto de la Cruz, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Dorsethill:

Thank you very much for taking your time to report your experience in our hotel to other Tripadvisor travellers, even though your stay amongst us was very short. I am sorry that we caused you such a negative impression, however, I appreciate your comments on our buffet as these serve us to try harder to improve the aspects you mention.

I am very pleased to know that you liked our Junior Suite but I would like to clarify that we do not offer central heating amongst our services.

I am sorry to know that you would not stay in our Hotel on a future occasion, however, it would be a pleasure for me to greet you personally in case you should change your mind.

Yours sincerely,

Domingo Castro Bello, Manager.