“Birthday Treat”
Review of Hotel Monopol

Hotel Monopol
Ranked #24 of 82 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Reviewed April 24, 2012

My husband booked this for a couple of nights for my 50th birthday treat and I have to say we were delighted with everything, the staff, the bar area, you name it we couldnt fault it, booked again to go September. The town is stunning and local restaurants excellent.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Annette J

Reviewed April 10, 2012

Lovely hotel in one of the finest buildings of Puerto de la Cruz, which is a lovely town. The breakfast buffet is excellent. The hotel has a small library with books mainly in English and in German. Puerto de la Cruz is a very good location for walkers. You can make a few coastal walks and other walks can be made by using the excellent bus service on the island.

Room Tip: If there are festivities in town, ask for a room with a quiet location. I was there two nights, and...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank BelgianWanderer
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Situated on a pedestrians-only street and right opposite the main church and square this well-run hotel couldn't be more convenient for exploring Puerto de la Cruz and the area round it. The rooms with balconies facing the square are for people-watching and sun-bathing whilst those on the other side of the hotel face the sea and the swimming pool and are much quieter. I was kept awake most nights by noises in the square but many people would probably sleep through it.
The service and attention are excellent and the food good though occasionally I got the impression that the hotel was operating on a rather tight budget in this respect. Highly recommended for 'oldies' though not perhaps for younger folk. If we went again I think we would opt for B&B rather than half-board. There are plenty of good restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 27Kaybee
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Right opposit the church and square in the Michelin rated Monopol Hotel. Long established family run on a colonial style. Very frendly and attentive staff. Rooms are comfortable with views of the church (nice and sunny) or sea. Above the pool area are two wonderful rooms with own sun terrace. Breakfast is three star but perfectly adequate. Great location for the best restaurants in town. Pool is small but has sun for most of the day. Lunches in the pool bar area are very good with the Saturday Paella especially excellent. Well worth a stay. Underground parking just down the hill.

Room Tip: Front rooms have lovely sunny balconies but the church bell will wake you at 6am. Sea view rooms are...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Fantastic family run hotel,location superb right in the centre of the old town,on a pedestrianised street,
As you come out of the hotel turn right and stroll down to Placa de charco,turn left outside hotel and you are at the seafront, 1 min to harbour or start the leisurely walk along to the Lido.
Hotel full of character, wooden balconies,comfortable pool and bar area, very homley atmosphere full of personal touches everywhere,whether it be fresh flowers each day at entrance steps and corners throghout different areas,lovely decoration throughout,spanish traditional influence blended so well with modern ameneties ,photographs on walls showing hotels history. Towels provided at poolside, flowers presented to returning guests who had enjoyed several retun visits.
Bedroom nice size ,extremely comfortable and well kept,cleaned daily ,fresh towels.
Breakfast very good choice each morning.
Staff so friendly and helpful.
Cannot imagine staying anywhere else in PLC,this has been one of the most pleasurable stays i have ever had in any hotel throughout the years, Looking forward to returning

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CasTurkey
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Before Tripadvisor we had to rely on the star-rating of hotels. This is advertised as a three star establishment and my expectations were completly met - it was a clean old
-fashioned Spanish hotel full of character. It´s right in the middle of PDLC and 5 mins from the harbour so the moment you step out you´re straight into the action.

The breakfast was excellent the rooms were clean if not particularly well equipped. The pool was adequate and the ambiance was very Spanish and comfortable. Only stayed one night but was enough to get the feel of the place. Showers were good and hot but the mini-bar was empty, not that I ever use them in the main.

The main atrium is very well decorated and worth a closer look if you´re into your architecture

The big question is would I use the Monopol again, yes I would but not for an extended stay.I have different expectations of hotels as a business traveller as I do as a holiday traveller. so for a longer stay I would probably go for a 4 or 5 star.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Flettie
Reviewed December 1, 2011

I just returned from a 10 nights holiday in this hotel which I knew alread from a previous visit few years ago; in addition my parents stayed there for 6 weeks with me as frequent visitor. I had booked a single room/breakfast for €35 Euros/night via hotel website and email correspondence which I found quite good value for money for what was on offer.

Hotel Monopol is the oldest hotel in Puerto de la Cruz in terms of long history and privately owned throughout by a family who overall look very well after it. I agree with previous reviewers that the interior is a little bit outdated and grown some patina. Staff generally was friendly and helpful; the rooms were well cleaned and towels changed daily.

As previous reviewers already mentioned, the front and the lobby is very pretty and you will find quite good facilities as there are a pool, jacuzzi and sauna plus quite generous sun lounge areas over 2 floors.

Although my room was very clean and had everything you need, the singles are quite small and facing a narrow alley way adjacent to the next building with no view and not much light.
Disappointing that this overall very nice house does not have a "heart for single travellers" and as often just puts you "into a corner".

I do know though that the doubles are much nicer with the quieter rooms facing the back. Tip: ask and insist on room 218 or 219 which are separately built like a little bungalow on the "Terraza Atlantico". You even have your own sun deck on the roof, a covered area outside your front door and a splendid view as soon as you leave your room.

As far as "quiet" is concerned: you are in one of the best Central Puerto de la Cruz locations with easy access to everywhere and everything, so do not not expect a quiet and peaceful holiday. But then, I know Puerto quite well, there is no quiet hotel in a central location.

The management invites to a welcome drink every Monday and even offer a entertainment programme. Not really my sort of thing, but judging from the applause I overheard quite appreciated.

Breakfast was absolute average, trying to cover the taste of mostly German and English guests (at the time of my visit most older generation). For me as German living in the UK quite handy but in the interest of my British readers I would recommend to the chef to visit one of his many English colleagues in town to get some coaching about English breakfast. Apart from that, alternating days boiled or fried eggs; I failed to discover what the scrambled eggs were made of ... Gourmets are certainly in the wrong place.

As I knew Puerto from countless previous visits, I do not like and refuse to book half board having experienced boring and repetitive food along the line. From my parents I know that the food in this hotel was acceptable but nothing more.

Overall I feel I received sort of good value for money, there is not anything really negative to say about Hotel Monopol, but I also can control any "over-excitement". Would I book again?

Room Tip: As said in my review > rooms 218 and 219 (doubles)
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo