“Not to be missed!”

Tucan
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have eaten quite regularly in the Tucan since it was recommended to us about eight or nine years ago. The welcome is always warm, the food is quite delicious, (never been disappointed yet), and the owners and staff are absolutely charming.

It is quite like sitting in your Gran's front parlour. The decor is superb and at Christmas, the decorations are delight to behold.

The one thing you must have though is patience. While Herman, between slurps, (as good old Floyd used to say), prepares the food to perfection, Gabby, his partner in crime, flits from table to table asking "It is good?" quite often forgeting she was in the process of dealing with another tables request for more drinks or the bill or something. Hence, the requirement for patience.

However, fortunately there is Yaya (not sure of the spelling). A lovely, cheeful and efficient Spanish lady assistant who usually comes to the rescue, always with a smile, a pat on the shoulder and the dish you have been waiting for.

Believe me, it is a dining experience not to be missed.

There are newer reviews for Tucan

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Unlike what some reviewers write about other restaurants in Puerto, this has very good service. Menus come quickly, orders are taken and the food arrives when it should.

The dining room was nicely decorated and comfortable. Effort was visibly put into details.

We ate an assortment of starters and fish and meat main dishes. The starters were rather average, and two of the starters that were supposed to contain spiny lobster/langouste, instead were made with king prawns (which is good too, but..).

Everything was forgotten when the main dishes came. It is not very easy to cook fish perfectly. A little too little, and it remains raw. A little too much, and the taste disappears. A little more still, and it gets tough and boring.

This fish was absolutely perfectly cooked. I also showed signs of being fresh, maybe from that day's catch.

The meat (lamb) was good too, but the fish was a peace of art.

Two dishes each, with wine, mineral water and tip came to €33 per person, which we found reasonable.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Some of the previous reviews were very generous with praise . Allow me be more accurate . The decor and relaxing atmosphere here is wonderful . I dined alone yet felt so relaxed . I received a warm welcome . My hotel booked so they guessed who it was on arrival - greeted with a smile -the food - Slightly old fashioned but of a high quality . Service - they were busy when I was there but they were as attentive as they could be , this is a family establishment , Wine - the house wine is local ( very cheap for what it is ) but ...... Other local wines are better ! These people work hard and they deserve your custom, he is a good chef ( not the Gordan Ramsey hero described in other reviews ) Gabrielle the owner/ waitress is a good soul , warm and welcoming , I get the impression she likes good customers too , I.e. those that spend . Desserts sounded plain ( ice cream and crumbles etc ) so I passed . My bill for a prawn starter and a fillet steak main , water and bottle wine was € 39. Good valuE all considered . Hope my review helps .

2  Thank D8Grant
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our two meals here were quite special. We enjoyed the the delicious food and service despite having a lively two year old in tow. We shall return .

Reviewed October 30, 2012

If you are staying near the sea in PDLC, Tucan involves walking up a very steep hill or a lot of steps but it is worth the walk. You feel like you are sitting in someone's living room and the decor is amazing - lots of chandeliers and flowers. The host was very welcoming and treats the customers like they are old friends - many of the people there were regulars who come to PDLC a lot. The food was delicious - I had a prawn cocktail starter and steak for my main course and both were very tasty. For me it is a little bit too cosy, and I find feeling like I am in someone's living room a little disconcerting, but overall we enjoyed it very much.