“good average: prime location, relaxing, slightly overrated”
Review of Valle Mar

Valle Mar
Ranked #13 of 81 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Reviewed December 30, 2010

first off. you're right on the seafront. breathe in the Atlantic. forget about cars. exit the hotel, cross the pedestrian street, go to the excellent Martianez swimming pools (the reception provides free tickets). that's really a great feature of the hotel, which also has a rooftop pool & (humdrum) restaurant with a very enjoyable view.
do try to get a seafront room - the views are great, although some rooms (notably on the 4th floor) have been renovated and are now available at increased rates but do not quite live up to expectation. (unless you want to pay 80 euros more a day in exchange for a newspaper and some soft drinks).
also a plus: the rich breakfast & dinner buffets, consistently enjoyable. half-board is a definite recommendation, as the surroundings do not provide memorable dining.
the promenade cafè downstairs is pleasant enough for an after-dinner drink with some live music (very touristy, natch; though some of the performers are good).
the service has some dramatic ups and downs. waiters can be overly confident in buddy-like behaviour and a bit slow in delivering. room service does not meet four-star expectations; try finding 10 shampoos and not a single shower gel in your room.
a definite no-no for this reviewer was the sorry excuse of the hotel for not having wi-fi: when asked, at reception they will put a sign on the counter which states it is not available due to unwanted radiations. (you have to walk 30 metres to the McDonalds to get your wireless service).
overall the feel of the place is none too glamorous: you get the impression the hotel could have been a contender for top place in puerto de la Cruz, but they settled with busloads of German retirees on a budget, and adjusted their standards accordingly.
to sum it all up:
not recommended if you're full of top-tier expectations; but if you're willing to unwind, relax, have great breakfasts, enjoy the scenery and not be too prissy about things you might find it thoroughly enjoyable.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank piermaloso
There are newer reviews for Valle Mar

Reviewed October 23, 2010

This is our third stay at the Vallemar and the hotel was exactly as we had remembered. We booked a sea view room which overlooked the Lago Martianez - one of the best views we have every had. The service from reception/restaurants/chambermaids was excellent - the food is some of the best buffet food we have eaten (and we are experienced travellers). We also enjoyed lunch in the 5th floor restaurant adjacent to the swimming pool - excellent value for money and the most amazing view.

However - there was a problem - since our last visit in 2008 they now have a pavement cafe in front of the hotel with music until 11 p.m. - that would not have been too much of a problem, except that listening to it from our balcony every evening was rather repetitive. Then we settled down to sleep and at midnight the base thump of music??? from a nearby nightclub kicked in and did not stop until 2.00 a.m. This was every night except Monday.

We are probably not very tolerant. but judging the average age of the rest of the guests in the hotel, they would not have been either. Our last two visits have been in March, so maybe we were still in the high season - but I doubt if you would go to Puerto de la Cruz for the nightlife - it generally appeals to older travellers who appreciate the Canarian way of life.

Unfortunately we don't think we will stay at the Vallemar again - but still love Puerto de la Cruz - and maybe we are a little too sensitive to noise at night.

Overall we had a great holiday, but came home rather 'sleep deprived'

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank nortons21
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Just spent 3 weeks at this hotel, one of the best hotels I have stayed at. It was spotless, the staff where all excellent including the cleaners who did everything possible to ensure that my room had what I needed (I have Rheumatoid Arthritis). The hotel is in the ideal spot and the pool upstairs is a bonus (the views are superb from there). Managed to get a sun bed okay.
English people where in the minority, but it didn't cause any problems, though the food was more geared for the other nations, there was normally something available which suited, the boiled egg problem at breakfast led from the fact that one morning both eggs I chose where not cooked and the following day the only two available where one that someone had put their finger through and the other which was cracked all over, I then was expected to wait whilst they cooked me some more, a small problem but it should not have happened. There where many people at this hotel who where on a return visit for the 3rd, 4th or 5th time. Certainly gave me a good base to explore Tenerife which I was very impressed with.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank 2TWO2
Reviewed July 26, 2010

The central location is ideal for exploring the town. The hotel is very comfortable and the staff are extremely friendly. Very comfortable and clean rooms rooms(mine overlooked the small garden and was sunny all day).There was a huge and varied choice of food for breakfast and dinner.The standard of which was excellent.As the pool is on the roof you have beautiful panoramic views of the town, I have stayed in many of the hotels in Puerto and this is definitely in the top 3.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank jolacruz
Reviewed February 19, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel before, but this time I found it had changed, and not for the better.

It has a splendid location, very handy for strolling and close to the shops and cafes. My room was OK, it was positioned alongside the terrace, but the en suite was a dissapointment.. There was no bath only a shower cubicle, too small to be comfortable, nowhere to put anything, so you have to bend down in a resticted space. I have no idea what shower gel and shampoo they are providing, but it smells foul, Molton Brown it is not! The air conditioning was on full, but made very little improvement.

A mini bar can be used at a price, on top of this charge you pay an extra 3 euros for a key to lock it. Why on earth I would want to lock a fridge, perhaps in case someone wanted to help themselves to my chocolate. Saying that I paid for the key, only to discover there was no lock, the bracket that attached the 'mini bar' door had broken. The only reason I 'paid' for this 'mini bar' was to keep my own drinks cold, however I found this fridge not working, in fact it was warm and musty. The chilled drinks they brought me were soon warm, On mentioning this to reception, I was told this was not a fridge, but more an 'insulation box' just keeping things 'chilled. I reported this 4 times, but nobody ever did anything about it, hopeless beyond belief. In the end with the drinks they provide intact, and warm, I asked for my money back. This was granted.

I have looked at other hotels in the area, and all seem to be of a better standing than the Valle Mar, bearing in mind this is quite expensive to stay in, I would NOT return. Pretty pathetic.

The restaurant was OK, if you arrive at 6.30 sharp the food is hot and not shrivelled. Staff are friendly enough.

Please note, that unlike the other hotels and McDonalds, this hotel does NOT have WIFI, very very annoying, they have a placard on reception stating that they do not allow it due to danger of radiation, instead you can use their booth with computer at cost, apparantly the radiation is not a problem in the 'superior rooms' which they charge an extra 26 euros a night, they did offer it to me for 20 euros, a very very expensive WIFI! I was informed I could sit in the street and pick up a signal, not very satisfactory when it confidential matters. Instead I used the hotel next door, where strangely enough nobody seemed to be affected by radiation!

I felt this hotel was lacking in people skills, I certainly felt it was far too exoensive for what you received. I will not return.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
5  Thank Bikingdiver
Reviewed December 3, 2009

we stayed for the month of november 2009 and had an excelent time except as we are English and like to mix with people to chat and make new friends ,staying at this hotel was not possible as all the other guest were german or norwegian and if they spoke english would not converse with us,therefore that is why we have not given this hotel a 5 star. Would we go back to this hotel no solely because of the lack of english patrons and also all the staff are geared up for the germans, i would recommend going to the south if you want to be with english although the north has better scenery
However this is what i thought of the hotel :-
Food excelent had theme nights whch added a good variety and each night there was at least 7 choices of meat / fish courses with lots of salds as well
accomodation was good although i would not recommend spending another £500 on a seaview roomas the view is nothig special unless you have a high floor room
Staff Mostly very good but all tended to speak more german than english so they chatted more to the germas than us ,we do realise this is partially our fault for not learnig spanish
If you nhave a hire car which we did there is no parking at all unless you are lucky to find a spot somewhere on the road which was very difficult otherwise we had to park in the free carpark about 15 mins from the hotel
Bye the way it is true what thye say about the germans with their towels on loungers they would go up before breakfats and cover the longers with theer towels how pathetic is that?
if you have a lower room you can get disturbed by the tradesmen and cleaners outside we did but it didnt affect us as we get up fairly early anyway
we wre alsom dissapointed the we couldnt walk alon the coast line as it is compltely fenced in by a large bathing complex that charges for entry, although good value if that what you want

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cahersiveen
Reviewed October 13, 2009

Stayed there for 4 nights on Sep. 2009 on vacation with my wife. The hotel is located right on the center of the main coast of Puerto, in front of the "artificial beach".
We ordered it the night before from a different location through the site. Since the hotel site is all spanish we missed the fact that the deal we took (79E for half board instead of 91 for B&B) was for Canary residents only. When we got to the hotel the manager explained us the mistake and told us that since we ordered only the night before and she could not reach us to correct our mistake - she will honor our reservation. All that said with a smile. Staff also helped us whenever we needed assistance calling the volcano authoroties to check if open, and planning road trips.
Indeed the hotel and rooms decor is 80's style, and furniture may be a little old, but still well maintained. Rooms clean and tidy, and tiny swimming pool on the roof is charming.
Breakfast was ok, with discent variety of food. Missed a bit more vegetables.
As we didn't plan on half-board, we tried it only 2/4 nights - one was very poor, and the other "spanish night" was excellent.
No parking though, since the hotel is beach road is closed to private cars. Parked on nearby streets. Not easy to find parking most hours of the day. Free large parking lot at the port 10-15 min. walk.
Guests were Spanish, British and Germans.
I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple