Review Highlights
Sand and sea

Very pretty place, stroll around at your leisure. Typical canary but still worth having a stroll... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
bumblebee56
West Yorkshire
Clean beach lovely sand

The black volcanic beach was the main reason for our visit. The sea was choppy when we visited and... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago

from $68.50
from $43.00
from $46.50
1,020 results
All reviews black sand nice beach small resort blue flag beach lifeguard on duty sunbeds and parasols opposite the beach souvenir shops family holiday life guards la gomera beach area costa adeje lifeguards waves flags rocks
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stopped here as recommended by our hosts at the B&B we stayed at up north in Garachico on our way to Costa Adeje where we spent the second half of our vacation. It's probably one of my favorite beaches I have ever been to, a tough call between this and beaches in the Grand Cayman. It's hard to compare though, I just loved how exotic it this beach is with the black sand, very smooth, and how beautiful it looked with the blue umbrellas. The only thing is that it is very very hot so it would have been practical to have watershoes to wear in and out of the water. The water was very calm and there are not sharp shells in the water to cut your feet on, only smooth stones. It's so clear and you can see right to the bottom. We kept going back and driving a half hour from adeje because we liked it better than the beaches down there. There is a lifeguard and staff and they clean the sand constantly so it's spotlessly clean, no trash. Definitely a calmer and more sophisticated atmosphere than the beaches in playa de las americas or costa adeje - more suitable for families as well. You can rent sunbeds and umbrellas for 3 euros each and they bring it to the spot you choose. We also ate at the restaurant Casa Pancho, which was also recommended to us, the atmosphere was very nice but the staff was not very friendly, and it was kind of overpriced - I don't eat fish so maybe that's the thing you have to get there, my boyfriend got fish and he said it was really good, so maybe that's what I'm missing.

1  Thank catluvr914
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We walked from Santiago to arena along the coast quite hilly but quite nice when we got there. There seems to be more bars and resteraunts there than at Los Gigantes.

1  Thank lsbWoodville
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Some good shops & a beautiful looking beach, however the black sand is burning hot, don't forget your flipflops.
The pavements were very slippery so if I went again I'd make sure I had some trainers as walking in flip flops was quite hazardous.

2  Thank Chelseagirl5
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

After reading recent comments that the Brits are put to one side , we were a bit anxious about what to expect , but we have been treated like royalty . Room overlooking the pool and sea . Friendly staff and an absolutely amazing hotel , should be a 5star hotel. Would highly recommend

1  Thank Golfcyclone
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Visited Playa de la Arena whilst in the area as we wanted a swim in the sea and a sunbathe on the beach. The sunbeds & umbrellas are reasonable at €3 each, however you pay 20c to use the loos.

The beach slopes down slightly & there is an undertow in the water which can have you off your feet. I found it VERY difficult to actually get out of the water and ended up on my backside covered in black volcanic sand which was difficult to get rid of as the showers on the beach are poor. They are meant just for a knee down wash really when a full shower would be better.

The sea, once you're in is very nice but is soon deep. Small pebbles on the shoreline make it difficult underfoot and I would recommend water shoes for a better experience.

Definitely WOULD NOT return.