“The best part of all holidays in Tenerife”
Review of Masca Valley

$43.07*
Tenerife Highlights Full-Day Tour
Ranked #10 of 410 things to do in Tenerife
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I went to Masca valley with my dad and younger ister(13years). We were keen on this walking. We took 2l water bottle, it was not enough but we took some water from the spring, which was always with us :)
Before our trip, it was claimed that it would be hard and will take more than 3h. Nevertheless, we spent just 2h down and 2h walking up. Of course we rushed but also had some stops.
The view have taken my breath for some times. Everything was so magnificent. I loved that sense of nature — no trashes, no seen steps of human.
If you came to Tenerife not for laying in the beach, you must try to walk in this valley!
Take even sneakers. Just remember that there are some slippery rocks.
Enjoy!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,998)

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Masca is all it is cracked up to be. BUT:

(a) go early
(b) do NOT go back to Santiago de Tiede; carry on and make it a round trip

It's bad enough driving down - the longest 10 min drive in your life. do not even think about going back the same way just as the tourist coaches come down. just don't. And if you are doing the walk to the coast, take a bus/taxi and get the boat out.

1  Thank klymmk
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Please, please, PLEASE! Do yourself a favor and take the taxi up to Masca. I drove up to Tiede and decided I didn't want the stress of driving up to Masca and my God was I right! The drive up to Masca is so much worse than Tiede. If you're driving leave your car at Los Gigantes and pay a taxi driver to take you to the top. It will cost you around 23 Euro's one way but it is so worth it. You will enjoy the experience so much more. The drivers do this about 5 times a day so they know the route and they know what they're doing. For me Masca was more beautiful than Tiede. It's definitely my number 1! There are some restaurants where you can eat and enjoy the view. If you talk with your driver he will either come back for you later or wait for you on top of the hill. If you visit Tenerife this is not something to be missed!

6  Thank Skyla99
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Once you are through the horrendous drive down to the village it is really beautiful. The walk down the gorge is signposted as being closed however it is open. The walk starts with steps then quickly moves to a clear path between the rocks and cactus following the line of the small stream. The rocks are not difficult however I wouldn't walk down if it was wet because they look sharp if you fell on them. There are some steep drops with no barriers. However, that being said we walked down with a 6 year old and 9 year old. We walked for about an hour down then turned about and walked back up. We had never intended to do the full walk however whilst looking at maps since we estimate we did about half in that time. It wasn't hard going, we took no more time on the way back up - although it is steep. I wouldn't recommend it if you like flat safe walks, or, if you have mobility or respiratory problems, however if you regularly walk in the countryside then give it a go. We saw plenty of babies in rucksacks also being carried down.

1  Thank Marie C
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Masca gorge is a beautiful hike for those with experience, and by all means go on the hike if you are fit and healthy. However I cannot stress enough the dangers of it for children, elderly and disabled, I am a young teen and I found it very hard. There are many sheer and narrow cliffs, that if you tripped and fell down could easily cause death. There are some very frightening challenges to overcome on the way down. Its also quite hard to navigate where to go. On my way down I seen i rock covered in fresh blood, that proved the danger to me. The scenery is on the other hand the most spectacular things I have ever seen! ADVICE: If you are considering a trip to Masca, take a taxi as you will find it very hard to find a parking space, and if you are not planning on hiking back up the gorge then pre-book a water taxi (boat) to pick you up from the harbour below.

2  Thank Ava M