“Youth in Lanzarote, is here!!”
Review of Famara Beach

$62.30*
4x4 Jeep Tour of Lanzarote
Ranked #17 of 188 things to do in Lanzarote
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Famara is a small village, white houses, sand dunes, good waves and behind this stage, the mountains protecting the village. Is a really magig place to spend a week or so, all people doing sports, hiking, jooging, motorbiking, surfing, katesurfing and during the night when you think all poeple is sleeping, just walk a couple street and find african Music live!!! and when they close the bar, just move to the another bar, modern style and electronic scene! really nice place!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,162)

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Plenty of places to hire boards/suits - 6e for board, 2 for suit, don't pay more though some will charge twice as much. Waves very high when we were there also beach full of rocks so I would recommend boots though no-one had them on and none of the places rented them! Not for beginners. Stick to the main beach if you aren't a strong surfer and stay away from the rocks!!
Plenty of cafes.

1  Thank L H
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I write this as a fit & healthy Male of 43. I'm a strong swimmer. My family and I went to Famara Beach in August 2013. There was me, my wife and our kids of 16, 15, 12, 10. At first it feels great to let these oh so powerful waves knock you over. We did this and got a bit braver. We went out up to our necks. Two minutes later disaster... A wave hit me in the face and took my breath. No probs there you think. However, then another wave and another. I was genuinely struggling and trying to swim back whilst trying to scream to my kids to get out of the Water. I was terrified. They couldn't hear me because of the sound of the waves crashing. Luckily our 15 year old saw that I was struggling and helped me hold my head up to breath. Just enough that I could scream at the kids to get out now. Luckily they got to shore. I was distraught. I am the strongest member of the family and yet was helpless. Believe me...your kids will stand no chance. The tides literally rip your feet from underneath you when you're not expecting it. PLEASE, PLEASE type into google 'famara beach death'. Look at the results. People die here every year. This place is deadly. Please don't go into this Sea. I still have flashbacks now. I have always been a great swimmer but now I'm a bag of nerves. This is simple... If you read this review and still go to Famara Beach then you have literally chosen to gamble with your life.

10  Thank William R
Reviewed March 29, 2014

As many have said this is a part of the island that must be seen. Be careful of the currents and of course the wind can be a problem. It is human nature at a raw level. No civilization and just water birds and sea.
If this is your cup of tea, it will be quite full.

1  Thank ceedaworld1
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Take the time to get out of the car and walk the length of the beach; better still go for the catch of the day at Bar Sol and walk off lunch like the locals for that all over promenade tan!

It can be windy here, September is lovely as the wind has dropped and it is a great place to swim. A friend compared swimming here to swimming in champagne - never forgotten this comparison; bracing, invigorating and get the endorphins RUSHING! Take the plunge - don't be shy as once in you'll be pleased you did. Bodysurfing is FAB here!!

Beware of the rips, I have never been caught in one but watch the kids; however, there are plenty of shallow pools at low tide that are safe for play.

Busy at the weekends as this is the locals beach; and especially on a Sunday when the Teguise market traders decamp to relax.

Next to Papagayo this is my fave beach, provided the wind is not sandblasting you!