“Hair raising car trip and great views”
Review of Roque Nublo

Ranked #5 of 445 things to do in Gran Canaria
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Great to get in your car and drive almost to the top of the island. There is a car park which leaves a fairly short walk (about 1km) along a reasonable path (most of the way) to the Roque Nublo. The views are just great.

The little roads that we used to get up to the Roque were , eh..... "interesting", and I would not have liked to meet another vehicle in some places as they can be very narrow. I'm not sure if there is a wider road that we missed.

It didn't really bother me as I am a confident driver at home in the UK or abroad and I just took my time. However I did have to take my time and it took us a lot longer to get to the Roque than the mileage would suggest. if you don't like narrow roads or steep drops to the side of you then check which route is best for you or get someone else to do the driving. The views on the way up and on the top are great and this was one trip I had set my mind on before leaving the UK and I was glad we did it.

My wife has climbed a Munro (hill over 3000 ft) in Scotland and various other decent sized hills but had a wee moan on this one - mainly because it was a bit further from the car than she expected (she thought the car park was on the top), it was very warm (hot hot hot) and she had the wrong shoes.

If you are going - expect a bit of a walk (it's not far at all if you are a walker and not difficult if you are reasonably fit), take some water and a hat, take a camera, and wear appropriate footwear (trainers would be fine - no real need for boots).

8  Thank Poljes1961
Write a ReviewReviews (1,368)
All reviews
in 10 reviews
"parking place"
"hire car"
in 12 reviews
"highest point on the island"
"pine forest"
"great hike"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Great trip idea!
Excellent for those who like nature and mountains. Beautiful views.

It is better to go in the afternoon (it is not too hot). Remember about proper shoes!
Have fun!!

1  Thank JoannaMO
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Really bad roads but more than worth it once you arrive

1  Thank bring c
Reviewed May 12, 2012

The view of the rocks of Roque Nublo, Bentayga and the Fraile in the broad sweep of mountains and valleys seen from the terrace of the Parador of Tejeda is breathtaking, whatever the season. Up at about 5000 feet the weather is usually quite pleasant and you can generally see the outline of the Teide mountain in Tenerife floating on the clouds below. Opposite the Parador (inn) there are views right down to Las Palmas. This is great country for serious walkers who may sometimes take the published routes called Caminos Reales. There is an infrequent bus service from Las Palmas.

3  Thank canarybirdlpa