“Lovely hotel in a beautiful town”

Hotel Torre del Conde
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We spent 5 days at the Torre del Conde over the New Year period. It's on a quiet street not far from the sea front, with plenty of restaurants and cafes only a couple of minutes' walk away. For people looking to travel around the island, the bus station is nearby too.

The room was very comfortable indeed and we both slept very well during our time there. There's free WiFi throughout the hotel, a nice roof terrace with sun loungers and a jacuzzi, and the breakfast buffet was tasty, if not having quite the same range of foods available as larger hotels. The staff were friendly too.

I can recommend eating dinner at the hotel on Saturday nights - I had the Canarian cod, which was delicious, and there was a demonstration of Silbo Gomero in the restaurant too!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alan211

Reviewed December 23, 2013

1. I stayed in room 210 for four nights from 17th December 2013, and I paid £52 per night for a single room with half board. I booked the stay with Travel Republic.
2. I had spent 5 nights in Valle Gran Rey, and I needed to catch the 7.30am ferry back to Los Christianos.
3. Hotel is on a noisy street just off the main square. Do ask for a room facing the quiet attractive park when you book, and insist that they give you one when you arrive.
4. My room was well-equipped, but it had no clothes drying rail. Room Service was very good.
5. Reception desk was helpful and gave me a town map. It helps if you can speak some Spanish.
6. Breakfast was very good, with plenty of choice. Very nice fresh fruit salad. I’d have liked some scrambled egg, but only hard boiled eggs were on offer. Perhaps I should have asked. Beware of the toaster, it’s very hot!
7. Evening meal was OK. Service was efficient and business-like, but lacking the personal warmth I'd found elsewhere, I thought. I’d probably go B and B next time, there are plenty of nearby restaurants.
8. The roof has a sunbathing area, with a small secluded area for nudists, plus a sauna and a jacuzzi. Good views of the Torre del Conde (Count’s Tower, free entry) from the roof.
9. The Hotel is only a five minute walk from the bus station, which is above the new rather sparse food market. Three buses leave the station at 10.30am, bound for Valle Gran Rey (5 euro) Hermigua (3 euro) and Playa Santiago (3.5 euro). The bus drivers are great drivers.
10. I liked the Inca Shop in the Square. The friendly German lady working there was good to talk to about living on La Gomera.
11. I loved the Ethnology Museum at Hermigua, details from Archaeology Museum in San Seb. Both are well-recommended and free to enter.
12. I walked from Hermigua to Agulo and caught the 2pm bus back to San Seb.
13. Playa Santiago is a pleasant seaside town, home to a large resort belonging to Fred. Olsen. It’s out of town and quite unobtrusive. Very helpful bank in the square. I changed some leftover Polish zloty into euros there.
14. I left the hotel at 6.30am to catch the ferry. No problem leaving early, but you miss your breakfast!
15. I loved La Gomera. I’d recommend it to anyone who likes serious walking. The walks are long and hard and you need to be fit to enjoy them. The island attracts plenty of ageing hippies and I felt at home straight away. I’ll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park and avoid the noise from the road.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank peterbees
Reviewed September 25, 2013

If you are taking a quick visit to San Sebastion, this hotel will serve your purpose. It is central and makes the need for a car pointless, it is a 5 + minute walk from the ferry. The rooms are typically Spanish, clean and of a reasonable size. Breakfast is limited, but if you are happy with a small choice of cereals, fruit, cold meats, toast and baguettes - which I was, then you will be happy.
I would always ask for a room overlooking the park, to the rear of the hotel as the road is a one way system, whereas I had my doors open all night and it was very quiet and pleasant. There is a sun terrace on the roof and the views are interesting across the park to the sea and fascinating to watch the clouds tumble over the mountains like a waterfall as you look inland.
I never took my evening meal in the hotel, but I was assured by others that it was good. However, there are plenty of restaurants for a small town, including a Chinese!
I used the hotel whilst completeing a theory course with Canarysail and the hotel was only a short walk across town.
I will use the hotel again, when doing another sailing course and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it - it simply does as it says 'on the box', nothing more nothing less.

Room Tip: Ask for a 'park view' room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Hazel1954_11
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The centre of the small port of San Sebastian Torre Del Conde is ideal for short breaks.It has just been extended and the rooms are average size and pleasant. They have also added a sun terrace with sauna and steam room.Book a room overlooking the attractive Park as it is quieter.Breakfasts are basic but good.
There are two beaches,the best one is on the left at the end of the harbour. Good walks. Lovely town to amble round with friendly helpful people. Try a pizza from the Italian in the square, scrumptious!. Good tourist office.

Room Tip: Choose one facing the Park.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sueb1935
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Whilst agreeing with many of the positive comments made by other reviewers our experience at breakfast was not at all positive . We stayed for four nights and found that each morning although we made it to the dining room by 9.20 (breakfast finished at 10) many of the items eg eggs,yoghurt,pastries were missing and we were told that there were none left. (with a supermarket just down the road!) We also had to hang around and ask for glasses, cutlery etc to be replenished .There just seemed to be one young girl working in the dining room so although she was working very hard there was just too much for her to do. At least another member of staff was needed if only to assist new comers to the breakfast room who had to wander around looking where to sit and how everything worked. There was at least one Ramblers Holidays group staying at the hotel and they obviously depleted the stocks of food at breakfast but presumably they had been known about and so food orders should have been adjusted accordingly Nevertheless we did not use the dining room in the evening because of our breakfast experiences

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking park
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Firsttimefriday1
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This hotel is in a perfect position in San Sabastian, in the centre of town, overlooking the park and near the ferry terminal. The staff are helpful and accommodating and the evening meals are very good. You can have the tourist menu, which we did, or the A la Carte, with a carafe of house wine was fine. If hou want to eat out the little Pizza place across the street has good food and is fun and the Parador is worth a visit. I booked for bed breakfast and evening meal at a reasonable cost. I booked a room overlooking the park, however, when we arrived and saw it we did not have a balcony and it was on the small side as we were staying a week. For a small additional fee we changed to a large room on the fourth floor at the front with a big balcony overlooking the street. We had a good view of the pretty painted houses built up the hillside opposite and were not bothered by any noise. Everything was very clean and comfortable.
We hired a car from La Rueda, just over the road to the hotel. The Twingo we had was in excellent condition and had a sun roof!

Room Tip: A high floor with a balcony overlooking the street even has a good view at night when all the lots c...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 99Lynda
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We needed a hotel in San Sebastian, an easy, level walk to the ferry. This is 5 minutes away and is a typical Iberian business/leisure hotel in the centre of the town. There is a business centre with coffee and orange juice on tap, free wifi and laptops available to borrow. The only down side was that breakfast started at 7.30am and we had to be at the ferry at 7.10am.

We had a superior room with a large marble bathroom and terrace with furniture. Our twin room had a small double and a single bed pushed together and plenty of space around.

There is a bar/restaurant, restaurant prices were reasonable, even the wine! although we ate elsewhere. Sauna and jacuzzi on 5th floor, no pool but sea bathing again about 5 minutes walk.
It was just what we needed and we would stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms on south west face park and may be hot but a/c is available- only some have balconies We face...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
0 mi away
Jardin Las Hayas
Jardin Las Hayas
#22 of 25 in Valle Gran Rey

Been to Hotel Torre del Conde? Share your experiences!