We decided to treat ourselves to a night at the 'luxury' Parador Hotel at the start of our 2 week holiday in La Gomera, the rest of which was to be in a self-catering apartment in Playa Santiago. It was a disastrous start to a wonderful 2 weeks. We got off the ferry in the evening and there were no taxis anywhere. To cut a long story short, we ended up having to pull/carry our heavy cases up the steep high hill to The Parador. We arrived sore, hungry and exhausted and too late to eat. The room was nice and there were complimentary toileteries but what we could have done with was a complimentary bottle of drinking water and coffee making facliies and a biscuit. There was of course a horribly expensive minibar. We found the bar downstairs, but it took forever to find a member of staff to help serve us a very overpriced beer.There was NO Wifi in our room. Next morning we saw that we had a wonderful view and the grounds were beautiful. Breakfast was self service and unexciting. It was very expensive and there was only enough weak coffee (with hot milk) for 1.5 cups. The orange juice was watered down. The staff at reception were nice.
When we arrived later at our lovely apartment in Santiago, waiting for us was not only a complimentary bottle of water but also a complimentary bottle of very drinkable wine. The big posh so called luxury hotels are such poor value. They have stopped trying, whereas the little places still try really hard to make your stay as good as possible. I would not recommend The Parador and The taxi service in San Sebastian is appaling. Perhaps the Hotel could arrange to meet it's guests and provide transport from the ferry for them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The building of this Parador expresses in its architectural forms the mysteries and enigmas in this Canary island and invites the guest to enjoy themselves in this paradisiacal setting and to contemplate, from its common rooms, unsurpasable views of the ocean and of the island of Tenerife in the background with the Teide peak. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Parador de la Gomera reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Parador De La Gomera Hotel
- Parador De La Gomera San Sebastian De La Gomera, Spain