“ok but nothing to be amazed about”
Review of Hotel Aries

Hotel Aries
Ranked #71 of 74 Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
London, United Kingdom
“ok but nothing to be amazed about”
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights in this hotel and I have to say that for the price I paid is absolutely fine but could have been actually better.

the room was ok, no frills really, big, clean (most important thing for me) but not as new/refurbished as advertised in their website.
I knew from this from other clients that told about their room.
Another big problem was that it took more than 5/10mins for hot water to come through every time I had to shower. Quite annoying for clients I believe and for sure such a waste of water and high costs for the hotel.
I've been told anyway that some work was starting soon to solve the water issue

Overall the hotel is located in a nice zone .. not very central but well located.. few connections to some beaches, direct bus to airport few mins away from the hotel.

Staff was very nice, friendly and always available which is difficult to find nowadays

Hope the owners will do their best to make this hotel more attractive which i believe will make it better known and appreciated

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank wv83

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed November 21, 2011

wow, where to begin?!
I fly every few weeks and i gotta say this hotel was uncomfortably bad.
The german guy on reception was really nice, really helpful, nice breakfast and breakfast staff.
howevere, my room was the noisiest i am sure in the hotel, listening to guys getting it on when i was trying to sleep was a little too tacky for my likeing.The room had roaches every night so i had to sleep with the lights on because they seemed like mountain climbing little buggers, forgive the phrase.
The spanish dude on reception at night was the rudest little git i have evver seen working in the customer service industry anywhere in the world (and i have been everywhere at least once).
m advice, dont staty here, pay extra and have a nice break in an area thats no sooooooooooo tacky as where this hotel is.
WHat you have is an ok hotel in the tackiest area mallorca has to offer.
Go here at your risk, it will really ruin your stay in mallorca.
to emphasise the point i went to the airport 5 hours early.

Room Tip: choose another hotel if you want a good room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank laurentsw1

Travelers are raving about these Palma de Mallorca hotels

Reviewed October 12, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and to be honest I actually had a really nice time there.. it was really convenient to all the gay bars and the taxi ride to anywhere in Palma city was really cheap.. the ride to the hotel was about €17. The owners of the hotel were really really nice guys and they were more than helpful in trying to help you with questions about what to do.. If you need super clean and chic.. then I would say its not the hotel for you as eventhough it was fine for me.. I know some would hate it.. but for the price its fine.. especially if you get a balcony room. I didn't hear the bar downstairs at all .. my entire time.. maybe it was because I was on the 4th floor. or maybe because I was usually IN the bar lol! it doesn't get busy til late but most people visiting usually will stop by so you get to meet who's there.. I didn't go to the sauna so I can't comment on it.. also if you need extra towels or whatever make sure you get it in the morning when the maids are there because they go home in the evening and for some reason no one knows how to get them when they leave. Lots of flirty people going up and down the stairs .. overall I enjoyed my stay..

Room Tip: stay on a top floor with balcony
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ibflyguy2
Alicante, Spain
Reviewed September 17, 2011

We arrived for a short break in the beautiful city of Palma de Mallorca, some of the time we were on business. We were greeted and checked in by a pleasant member of staff, we had asked for a very quiet room with a fridge which we got on the fourth floor , the room was the size of a postage stamp no more than 9ft x 12ft with the smallest ensuite we have ever seen, the bathroom door could not be shut , there was never any hot water available at any time of the day, so for three days we had to wash in cold water the shower tray was right next to the wc pan and had a curtain surround, the curtain was clean , it was impossible to have a shave, there was too much furniture in such a small place which made it a very dangerous obstacle course, especially for my partner who has limited vision.The bed was soft, old and uncomfortable, we rolled into the middle. The lighting in the room was very dim, I would think no more that a 15 watt bulb in the two wall lights, the table lamps did not help much either, the television an old 14" portable mounted on the wall and was also an obstacle when opening the fridge door, the picture quality was terrible and the sound the same.

The breakfast was a small buffet, it was served on a breakfast bar sharing with every other guest , so one had no privacy to talk . The food was Mercadona York Ham and Plastic cheese slices, a few tomatoes, sugar puffs and milk which was not cold , it has been out too long, the fruit juice was a good make Hero and was plentiful. Newspapers were available to read in Spanish and in German and English. We found it very awkward to have breakfast with a group of people shouting and enjoying themselves whilst we could not even get to the bar to select what we wanted for the breakfast, we sat at another bar area overlooking the kitchen servery.

The hotel does not have a lift, the solarium on the third floor was never used , the Jacuzzi was out of action and had various pieces of old furniture stored in it.

The roof Terrace on the sixth floor had sun loungers and a cold shower.

We booked this hotel on the premise that it is a solely GAY hotel as it clearly states on it's website, we were stunned when we walked out of our room to find female guests, that were heterosexual and married. We were also confronted with this at the breakfast room , there were many heterosexual couples dining there. If we had have known that this was a " Gay Friendly" hotel we would have selected another one there are many in Palma that would have been a lot better, much more comfortable and more than likely less expensive. We paid 59 Euros a night which in retrospect we could have paid in a 4 star hotel in Palma.

The Sauna was stated on the website that it was totally free to all male guests, we found this not to be the case and they said that a free pass would be issued for one entrance only.
The Sauna itself was also another obstacle course, I caught my head on a dangerous positioned window opener which was protruding from the window near the shower block, the shower room had three showers which barely worked. There was only a small Jacuzzi and seating area where I hit my head on a low part of the ceiling, this also doubled up a smoking area ! Which we felt that was completely out of order as the law in Spain is strictly non smoking in Public Places inside of buildings. We are non smokers and therefore this ruined the day as we did not go into the area where the Jacuzzi was. The whole experience was not a pleasant one, we made the most of our time in Palma by being out of the Hotel. We will not be returning and suggest that the hotel updates it's website to tell the facts , that it is a normal hotel and takes in all guests , not GAY as it states.

The place in general is clean, the staff are friendly and pleasant and multi lingual. The wifi connection which is free only works on the first floor.

Room Tip: Ask when booking for a room on the 4th floor on higher, you do not get any noise from the Disco or T...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Just got back from a 4 night stay here, booked VERY last minute on their website, all ok on arrival, room was on 4th floor so I didnt have any problems with noise, the hotel is not a boutiqe, its not a trendy city chic hotel, its a decent base to explore palma. The roof terrace is handy to catch a couple of hours sunshine in the daytime. staff very friendly, clean, wifi signal was good, although no wifi in rooms, there is a wifi zone on 1st floor. hotel bar was just ok......it would be very busy then within 5 minutes it would be dead, mostly locals. i agree with the previous post, the area is not the nicest, certainly not unsafe but its a bit run down looking, but its really close to all the bars etc. dont expect the ritz if you dont pay ritz prices.........decent place to base yourself for a few days!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank DiscoStu81
Brighton, England
Reviewed September 10, 2010

Friendly gay hotel, thirty minutes' walk from town but on a bus route so it's not a bad location. The area is pretty down at heel but seems to be Palma's buzziest for nightlife. The hotel was clean, reception staff friendly and we had a room adajacent to the breakfast bar on the first floor above the disco, but it wasn't too noisy, though if you wanted total silence you'd have been unlucky. No internet so they recommend the cafe up the road for wireless. Huge three-person shower was a bonus!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank melita666
Bristol, UK
Reviewed April 8, 2010

Firstly, I would not book this hotel based on the appearance of the hotel’s website, I feel that this misrepresents the feel / quality of the place. However, it is not a bad place for the money if you are lucky with your room allocation. It is not a modern sleek, boutique hotel… not even close.

I was travelling with a friend of mine, not my partner and we had booked a double room. On arrival we were allocated room 204 on the front of the hotel. Immediately, we knew we had made a mistake with the hotel, it was tiny, very (what’s the word…) “boldly” decorated a small window looking over Michele’s Bar, it was clean but really hideous for two people. I went down to reception and asked to change and we were told the place was full and perhaps we could change the next day. It was late so we decided to stay one night, head down to the bar have a few stiff drinks and check out the next day. Following a bad night’s sleep in a tiny double bed which had the biggest dip in the middle and being kept awake until 5am by a crowd outside the hotel we decided to go down for breakfast. I asked again if we could change rooms and the lovely senorita, said “no problem” and we were moved across into 209. It felt like the Ab Fab episode “France” where they had been staying in the gate house to the chateaux. Room 209 was far better at least three times the size with a sitting area, balcony, much larger bathroom and certainly easier on the eye. It was also facing inwards, so the noise from the street would be less. We decided it was fine and stayed for the full five days.

The service in the hotel is OK, none of the staff speak that much English, the real stars are the lady at breakfast she was great and made us feel very welcome, bar staff were good too and tried to chat and we had a good laugh with them.

The second room was fine, quite basic but big and clean, there was pretty good air conditioning and heating and sheets and towels were changed daily, furnishings are simple and it was bright and airy. I had a nose around the other rooms and those I saw were of a decent standard. It’s a small hotel and room size did seem to vary, but no other rooms I saw were the horror of 204. There are two sun terraces in the hotel, the one on the top floor is the nicest with good views over Palma. The third floor terrace appeared a bit neglected and there was a drained spa bath and a few plastic loungers. One thing you may need is earplugs as the noise reverberates around the hotel from the bar into the very early hours every night. We were two floors above the bar and you could still hear the music through your earplugs with the windows closed.

The Sauna complex is OK, it was fairly busy over the weekend but it was also quite clean, it’s also free for guest use. The hotel bar is quite popular, it gets busier only after 12pm, drink prices were fine and all the staff very pleasant. There is Michele’s bar opposite, Tapas was good and cheap and it is very Spanish. Breakfast is served around a breakfast bar, toast, coffee, cheese, ham and jam and was fine and included in the room rate and also served until 11am.

Palma itself, was a bit of an anticlimax, of the 60 or so gay bars and businesses on their map only about 10 remain trading, the gay area in which the hotel is located isn’t that nice. On a Saturday, the main street becomes overrun with underage drinkers causing mayhem. Walking back to the hotel at 3am didn’t feel that good. It’s not a scene comparable with Ibiza or Gran Canaria, all the bars we went in were pretty standard, the club we went in was dire too. Having said that, the old town is beautiful and there are quite a few good restaurants and daytime bars to sit and people watch.

Once we moved from the original room we felt it was of an acceptable standard, we only paid 45 Euro a night and that is probably reasonable for the place. I don’t know if I’ll visit Palma again but if I did I’d possibly stay at the hotel again but only for a weekend and spend the rest of the time out by Es Trenc beach in a better hotel with more facilities. Just don’t get your expectations raised by the trendy website.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends