“not my favorite hotel in mallorca” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #8 of 73 Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
Paris, France
“not my favorite hotel in mallorca”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

it is not my favorite hotel in mallorca, but it is a great hotel for golfers. The restaurant is okay for dinner, expensive but so-so good food. good breakfast, though.
Great view of mallorca, also not so far away from the center.
the standard room is too small for two.

during winter, off season, it is quiet and I like it.
better not with small children, the hotel is for adults who wish a quiet elegant stay in mallorca.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Hermeslover2013
ODCGM, General Manager at Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear Hermeslover2013,

thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor following your stay with us back in April.

Whilst I was delighted to read your recommendation of our hotel particularly for golfers, I am of course a little disappointed that we did not manage to meet all your expectations during your stay.

Hopefully you will be visiting Mallorca soon again and I would be delighted if we would be your hotel of choice once again - I can assure you that we will do all we can to make the Castillo Hotel Son Vida your favourite hotel on the island.

In the meantime we wish you a Merry Christmas and a very prosperous year 2014.

Oscar del Campo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Lewes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Things were not going well. On a business trip to Mallorca I had waited 80 minutes in the airport for a transfer to my hotel until I discovered that my accommodation had been switched at the last minute without anyone telling me. And the new one had not been asked to arrange my pick-up. So far so bad.

I was finally contacted and told to get a taxi to the Hotel Son Vida where my fare would be paid and my room ready and it was with enormous relief that I finally arrived at the large metal gates that greet visitors to this splendid hotel sitting high on an estate overlooking Palma, that has been occupied since the 13th century.

My irritation over the previous cock-ups swiftly subsided as I was received with friendliness and courtesy by the desk attendants. My luggage was spirited away, as happens in all the best places, and I made my way up to the eighth floor and room 851. Strangely, such is the configuration of the hotel the ground floor, where reception is, is the sixth so it is not hard to get lost on one's first visit.

My room was like the hotel: big, classy and comfortable with free wifi, a fine, big desk to do some work on and English TV should I wish to catch up with proceedings at home. Matthew, who had shown me to my room, could not have been more helpful- to the extent that when I said, 'Right, after my problem getting here it is now time for a beer,' he simply said 'Allow me, sir' and poured me a cold beer whilst I sat down and started to unwind.

Sadly I did not have time, given my schedule, to eat anything other than breakfast in the hotel although that was first class, with a cold buffet and hot food available from early each morning. The service is slick and discreet as it is throughout. Venturing back later in the day I would head for the bar and be looked after as though I had been coming here for years rather than simply being a first time visitor. The staff really do try harder here and it makes me want to come back.

And despite grisly weather, a daft itinerary that did not even allow time for us to play the Son Vida golf course, the oldest on the island, and trips on a minibus to places that were not a patch on what was available on my doorstep, at least I had the Hotel Son Vida to come back to each evening. It is a top quality establishment and a perfect spot for those looking for something special when staying in Mallorca.

Room Tip: Make sure that you are not in a room overlooking the bar terrace as this can become noisy when peopl...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Golfing-Steve,

thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following you recent stay with us here at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

I was sorry to hear about your somewhat poor start to your holiday, but in a way also grateful that your accommodation was switched at the last minute to our hotel - what a great opportunity for us to make you feel comfortable and reconcile you with our wonderful island.

I am delighted to see that we managed to meet your expectations throughout your stay and I very much hope that this will not have been your last visit to the Castillo Hotel Son Vida - there are still our wonderful Golf Courses to be played!

Thank you again for your positive feedback - we wish you a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Just the view of Palma from the hotel is enough to stay here, add luxe properly done and you have one of the finest hotels in the world. It is in our top five for certain, lots of golf on Mallorca, great food at the hotel including the kaltezimmer child room for the cold breakfast foods. Three stays here now, will be back as well. Did I mention the views?

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Redanman,

thank you for sharing your encouraging feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon here at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida and wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

I travel a lot, all over the world, and this hotel must be one of the best. Note that I have stayed there already 5 times in the last three years. So, why is it so good ?

The location is perfect, in the hills of palma. The maintenance of the hotel is also perfect. Over the years, it remains very well maintained. The staff is also excellent, friendly and profesional. Of course, mistakes happen, but very rarely. I have never had any problem in this hotel which was not settled in the 5 minutes.

The breakfast is simply fabulous.

The rooms are extremely nice, very luxurious (I dont understand those saying they are not ...). In addition, the SPG Platinum benefits are the best: we were always upgraded, often in the 100 sq m executive suite, even when on award nights: this is extremely rare at starwood hotels.

The pool is very big, though very cold, and thee was always room for everyone (admitedly, we were never here in june, july or august).

What more can I say ? Bravo to all at the Castillo !

Room Tip: Room with view over palma
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Belgian_Traveller_73
Dear Belgian_Traveller,

thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor following your last stay with us here at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

I am glad to hear that you continue to enjoy your time with us and that we were able to meet your expectations on each of your stays. Thank you for your encouraging words.

I very much hope to be able to welcome you back soon here at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida - in the meantime I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a prosperous 2014.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Castillo Son Vida is a magnificent hotel with spectacular views of Palma from the main terrace. However, it is the professionalism, experience and friendliness of the staff which is what set it apart for us. The service here is very slick and consistent, from reception to room service, concierge to food and beverage, something of a rarity in Mallorca.

The hotel has been tastefully restored and has a very calm and relaxed atmosphere throughout. We loved Bar Armas for a quiet mid-morning coffee and we often took lunch on the terrace. There is ample, free on-site parking at the hotel but if you do not plan on driving, the hotel has a limousine service.

We stayed in a deluxe suite which was traditional in décor, well maintained and very spacious, with a separate lounge, small kitchenette, long balcony and large en-suite bathroom. The beds were very comfortable.

If I had to make any criticism of the hotel it would be of the beauty spa, which, in our opinion, falls short of the high standards elsewhere in the hotel. The beauty spa is where the hairdresser and treatment rooms are. The sauna, steam room and indoor pool are located in the health club which is in a different part of the hotel. The massage I had was ok. I had wanted a deep tissue massage but it was actually quite superficial and afterwards I didn’t feel like I had benefited from the treatment at all. The noise from the hairdresser next door was also somewhat distracting. All in all though, this is a minor point and we are planning to stay here again next year when we return to Mallorca.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ODCGM, General Manager at Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear The_Loggia,

thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us here at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us, and particularly delighted about the fact that it was our associates who made the difference. The entire team works very hard and with great enthusiasm to offer our guests the highest level of service and I am certain that they will be greatly encouraged by your positive feedback.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience experienced in our Spa, I hope that we can make up for this on your next visit to the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mallorca in the not too distant future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed here for a week, 26 Oct to 2 Nov, to celebrate our 11th Anniversary. The hotel is an old castle and superbly restored, decorated and run. Staff were friendly, helpful and attentive - nothing was too much trouble. Being our anniversary they arranged for a bottle of champage, some delicious chocolate creations and a keepsake note as a surprise in our room-thankyou so much! The grounds are well kept and the hotel is based around 4 golf courses, of which 2 we tried with complimentary travel to each. The recommendations for restaurants in the area were good and came with good knowledge from the staff. All in all a beautiful hotel and a wonderful stay - well worth visiting even if for a couple of nights.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jacquiegan,

thank you for sharing your positive feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us here at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

I am delighted to see that we were able to contribute to your anniversary celebrations and that you enjoyed your stay with us. And I do agree - with only a couple of hours flight from most airporst in Europe and with a wonderful city like Palma nearby even a short weekend break can be very rewarding.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon here on Mallorca.

Winter Park, Florida, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Be carefully when booking. Even with a flexible rate you need to cancel 3 days in advance. I missed my flight and could not come. I called and they said they would check and get back to me. Weeks later I saw that my card was charged with a heafty now show. Not to mentioned that I am Platinum Member with SPG...
Be warned.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Johan407
Dear Johan407,

thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor about our cancellation policy.

I am sorry to hear that you missed your flight. We do work with our guests to try and avoid cancellation charges and make every attempt to re-sell the room. In the case of such short notice however we would be unable to do so, just as the airline would have no chance to re-sell the seat.

You recommend being careful when booking - it is of course always advisable to read the terms and conditions of a hotel´s cancellation policy, which in our case are clearly displayed throughout the booking process.

Thank you again for posting your advice, I hope that you might be able to reschedule a visit to Mallorca sometime in the future.