“Great Service But Expensive For Golfer's”

Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #8 of 74 Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
“Great Service But Expensive For Golfer's”
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

5 Star service for the hotel and all it's amenities. For golfer's, the 3 course package to pay for around 65 Euro per course was, when compared to Arabella ( which is immediately adjacent to the Castillo and allows all it's guests at Arabella to play for free at the Son Vida, Son quinto, & Son Muntaner), absolutely unacceptable. For example, if for whatever reason the Castillo guest didn't want to play any one of the 3 courses in this package (rain, bad day, et cetera) the Castillo guest was required to pay the NORMAL fee - around 80 Euro!

Also, the Muntaner course was at this time of season filled with pilz ( both the greens and the fairways) which was certainly not worth the price paid.

I enjoyed the Castillo but, after paying a quite expensive price for the room and service - will definitely not return if Arabella continues to offer free golf course prices to guests while Castillo makes you pay higher prices.

Not friendly for golfer's. For old folks and family a great location.

Bob Gonzales

Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Bob G
ODCGM, General Manager at Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Bob G,

thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us here at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and the services offered. I am however a little concerned about your comment regarding the greenfees, as all guests of the Castillo Hotel enjoy reduced prices at all 3 golf courses surrounding the hotel.

Feel free to contact me directly to clarify any doubts you might have regarding your greenfee charges.

Oscar del Campo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We arrived at the hotel at around 9pm and were greeted by the doorperson. He made us feel welcomed right away and escorted us to the front desk.
All through our stay the staff were fantastic. Ramon in particular ( front office manager) was amazing. The hotel itself is beautiful and the views even better.
We had dinner in the restaurant twice and we're wowed both times. You have to order the Paella ( for 2) 24 hours in advance but well worth it. The concierges were all very helpful as was Igor at the poolside bar.
This hotel really enhanced our experience.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the golf course with a balcony.Best views.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank msalhani
Dear Msalhani,

thank you for sharing your positive feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

It is always very rewarding to see that guests enjoyed their time with us - I hope you took away many fond memories. Thank you for your encouraging words.

We hope to be able to welcome you back some day here at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

Cheshire
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We are recently back from 9 glorious day at this hotel. Never having been to Majorca, we were encouraged by friends who love it. We didn't know where best to stay with many conflicting views but we think our choice of this hotel perfect for first timers. It's not in the centre but near enough to get a taxi to the bustling town of Palma.

On arrival we were shown our room by Tomas who is a great ambassador for the hotel. He is charming witty and excellent at his job. He asked if I liked our room which had a stunning view down to the bay and you could see the cathedral. Beautiful except for the end wall on the balcony that was a little tired and had big light fittings on it. My face must have said it all and suddenly Tomas was on his phone asking if there were any other rooms. As the hotel was full that evening Tomas arranged for us to move next morning to a room a few doors away which was perfect. One tiny look and he had it sorted. What a star. He always had a hello and a few words whenever we saw him.

All the staff at the hotel were helpful and friendly. Ask Mathew for restaurant tips. He knew everywhere.

It really was a pleasure to stay there. The hotel is quite traditional and olde-worldy and very well maintained. The terrace that looks down onto Palma is just amazing and it was so nice to sit here and have a final drink when we got in admiring the view.

We are not golfers but there was plenty of golf in the area for those who are and the surrounding courses made the landscape of the hotel very pretty.

I would be most happy to return to this hotel when I visit Majorca again. Wonderful breakfast too sat outside on the lower terrace.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the bay - stunning
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SkiToLunchDawn
Dear SkiToLunchDawn,

thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us here at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

I am glad to hear that we lived up to your expectations and hopefully managed to convince you that Majorca is well worth another trip. I am particularly delighted that our associates delivered excellent service, I will most certainly share your comments with Tomas and Matthew and all other team members.

We very much hope to be able to welcome you back at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida in the not too distant future, thank you again for your feedback.

Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Attending a conference and the venue was stunning! Incredible views, good views, friendly staff. Only slight niggle was a view to the rear of the hotel and no balcony - colleagues on the same rate had both a balcony and a stunning view of the bay. Whilst I imagine it was fairly random, it would have been nice to have been offered a choice!
The room was superb though and I'll definately be back with the lady wife!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the bay and a balcony! If you leave it chance like I did, you get neither!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dave W
Dear Dave W,

thank you for sharing your positive feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us here at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

I am delighted to hear that despite attending a conference you did get some time to enjoy the hotel and that you are planning to visit us again with your wife.

Please feel free to contact me directly should you need assistance with your room selection. We look forward to seeing you soon again.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 7, 2013

As it often happens some of the best hotels are the golf resorts.
Not only its hidden from others but the location, view and the intimacy of the place make it a perfect get away from everyone place - quiet sunny mornings, mountains view and sound of windy breeze playing with the tops of the pine trees ...
Food and service match the status - well deserved !
Very recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CityOrchid
ODCGM, General Manager at Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear CityOrchid,

I was delighted to read that you not only appreciated the wonderful location of our hotel but especially the service and food.

We very much hope to be able to welcome you again very soon - Hamburg is just a short flight away. Thank you again for your encouragement.

norfolk
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We went to this hotel as part of our visit to Mallorca for a wedding. We stayed at Son Julia and this was the second part of our holiday.

My pre - holiday concerns were more about Son Julia and less about Castillo Son Vida, but I have to say, I would have preferrred to stay at Son Julia compared to Castillo.

So why?

It's a big decision when you have kids, to avoid the beach front hotels. I had stumbled across this hotel many times when reading reviews of good hotels and at last we had an opportunity to stay.

In broad terms I cannot complain, however compared to other luxury hotels I have stayed at and paid for, I would honestly say I would not go again out of choice.

We booked a family suite. There was a bedroom, sitting room, small kitchen and bathroom. It was clean and very tasteful, lots of room for the 3 of us.

However, it just lacked being part of something. The guys on arrival took my credit card details and passport, it was very mechanical, I did not feel welcomed. Even though they gave me us a drink on arrival, we were expected to stand at the desk with other residents, and I guess "Down our drinks."

The pool is okay, not sufficient for the number of beds, and the beds are all but touching (doesn't do it for us). Service was trying, there were staff about but too intermittant to service your needs and no pool bar.

There are 2 tennis courts, they are a little run down but useable.

Breakfast provided a good selection of food but it was busy.

The gym was well equipped but hot, however this is the case for most hotels abroad.

As for the immediate surroundings, we went running a couple of evenings and there was nothing around.

I have no reason to complain about this hotel but I just didn't enjoy it. I would not want to go back which must say a lot.

We were not on any deal, however if you were to get this hotel at a discount then go for it, otherwise you could probably do better for your money somewhere else!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gigilebonne
Dear Caroline M,

thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay - I am a little at a loss as to what exactly caused your dissatisfaction, but rest assured that we will review your comments in regards to check in and the pool with the respective heads of department.

I very much hope that you might give us another opportuniy on your next visit to Mallorca, please do feel free to contact me directly so that I may assure you of my personal attention.

Pett, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Had a short weekend break last october at this lovely hotel.
Great weather,excellent location with fantastic views over Palma bay and like many other travellers we enjoyed breakfast and drinks on the terrace.
Found staff, room and everything about this hotel perfect and will go back in the very near future and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone considering a trip to Palma.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nickguest1
Dear Nickguest1,

thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us here at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time here and that you are plannig to return - we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palma de Mallorca
#2 of 8 in Port de Soller
Boutique Hotel Can Cera
Boutique Hotel Can Cera
#5 of 74 in Palma de Mallorca

Been to Castillo Hotel Son Vida, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!