“Good deal but no where near”

Catalonia Majorica Hotel
Ranked #23 of 73 Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
Barcelona, Spain
“Good deal but no where near”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed at this hotel because it was close to where our relatives live in Mallorca and we were there to visit them. If it was not for this, I would not have stayed here. It is not located near any sights at all. You would need to take a bus or a taxi to get anywhere. The hotel itself was not bad. For 100 Euros a night, you got a lot more than what you paid for. The rooms were very basic and the size of the Double room was adequate for a single person. My parents stayed in the same sized room and it was tight for two people. My room had a sea view, however the terrace sliding door would not lock and the terraces were all connected so someone from another room could have easily entered mine. This did not happen but the hotel should safeguard against this. The rooms have a safe but they are old school with a key. You are given the key but have to leave a 15 Euro deposit. If you return the key, you get your deposit back in theory. I returned the key but was not given back my deposit, I didn't realize this until I left so I never got my money back.
The bathroom was a good size, it was equipped with a hair dryer and typical ammenities. Internet is included in the price of the room. The breakfast buffet was extensive. There was a hotel pool. I would not stay here again but it was a good deal.

Room Tip: Get a sea view, keep in mind double rooms are small for two people, make sure your terrace door lock...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank angypsy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Portsmouth, England
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We had an enjoyable time at this hotel. But there are some positives and some negatives.

First of all the positives. The view from the bedroom (if you have a sea view room) is wonderful. You can look across the bay of Palma to the city and the cathedral and you are near to the port so you can watch the cruise ships and the ferries coming in and going out. You can also watch planes coming into land and after take off from the airport on the other side of the bay. The view from the bar, the restaurant and the pool is just as good.

The pool area is fine but it would be nicer if there were a few more plants around for decoration and atmosphere. There are plenty of sunbeds. The pool is a bit small but when were there it didn't seem to get overcrowded.

The bedrooms are not overly large or stylish but they are clean and adequate. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was fine with a full size bath with good shower attachment, plenty of hot water; everything worked and it was nice and clean.

Now for the not so good.... In my opinion, this hotel is not really suitable for the elderly, unfit or disabled when the funicular is not working! During the week that we were there the funicular was not working and it is a long walk up the hill to the hotel in the heat.

We found the food very bland, even though there is a good selection, and the staff do a good job clearing the tables and replenishing food. We only ate an evening meal in the restaurant once on our first night as we arrived late; but we thought everything was tasteless. We ate in the snack bar one evening and, surprisingly, the food seemed better there. Breakfast was OK but nothing special: the cooked to order counter for omelettes, pancakes and bacon & egg were the best things.

The staff in the bar were friendly and helpful. The bar prices for a bottle of wine are very reasonable. The reception staff were helpful when asked anything but, as another reviewer commented, they seemed hassled.

There should be more information in the hotel information folder in the rooms about buses, taxis and where to get them and general tourist information. Access to the hotel is quite awkward to work out when you first get there but it is OK once you get the hang of it.

When the funicular is not working (which I gather was quite often this year!) there should be instructions about how to get to the hotel. We arrived fairly late in the evening in vicinity of the hotel via the airport bus and local residents directed us to the funicular to the hotel. But when we got to funicular reception area, there was a notice simply stating that the funicular wasn't working; but there were no directions as to how to get to the hotel. So, after seemingly going around in circles (as we could see the hotel but couldn't find the road to get to it), we ended up getting a taxi.

There are some restaurants in the Porto Pi shopping centre nearby and, as this is Spain, everywhere is open late. It is a bit of a walk to some of the nicer restaurants along the waterfront - but there are plenty of buses which are regular and cheap.

To sum up, it is the location which really makes this hotel a good place to stay but it is also a negative due to the accessibility issues. In my opinion, the hotel does not merit its four star rating. But I think it offers good value for money and despite the negatives, we had a good time.

Room Tip: A sea view is a must
Cheshire
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Have just returned from ta 5 day stay at this hotel and I feel some of the negative criticism is unfair. Our room was large and comfortable with a wonderful view over the port towards the Cathedral in the distance. I would suggest a sea view room is a must.
The pool is a reasonable size and loungers were always available. There is some building work going on near by but we didn't find it intrusive.
The breakfast buffet had a great choice of hot and cold food with a chef cooking eggs and pancakes as requested. There was never a problem getting a table and the staff worked hard to keep the tables cleared and the buffet items replenished. The pool bar at lunch time was extremely reasonable with a decent menu selection although service was sometimes slow at busy periods.
The hotel is located up a fairly steep hill and the funicular to the street below wasn't working which I believe is a regular occurence but we didn't mind the walk although it wouldn't suit anyone with even slight mobility issues. At the bottom of the hill is Porto Pi a large new shopping centre with all the usual Spanish brands plus a huge Carrefour supermarket and a really useful convenience store called Mullers which sells almost everything from premium cosmetic brands to cleaning materials.
There are few if any nice restaurants nearby which is the only negative for me about the location, it's probably about a 15-20 min walk along the Paseo Maritime to reach a good selection. Palma itself is quite a walk but there is always the number 3 bus.
The staff at reception seem to get a lot of flak but I always found them polite and helpful if asked. The only thing I would suggest is a little more tourist info on attractions e.g.the city tour bus which stops outside Porto Pi, areas of interest in the city itself such as the old town, La Lonja and the Cathedral and Almudaina Palace.
I would definitely stay here again especially now that I've got my bearings maybe it isn't quite 4 star more a good 3 but then I think the prices reflect that.

Room Tip: Definitely choose a sea view room.
Alves, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed 5 night stay in this hotel. Staff were friendly and helpful.Having just got off a cruise ship found the room compared very well. Very clean with good bath,shower and lashings of hot water available at all times.
Buffet food for breakfast and dinner was varied ,fresh and excellent value as were the drinks on the wine list.
One downside was the inhouse funicular railway/lift to the lower main road for buses etc. was not working so it meant a stiff climb back up hill. Otherwise location was fine 300 m from huge shopping centre, half hour stroll to cathedral area, with good bus service on lower street.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, UK
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We had 7 nights at this hotel. The bed in our room was absolutely awful - a thin, metal-framed cot structure, the base was about 3 inches deep, which you would expect to find in a dorm of a hostel, not a 4* hotel, with an awful, thin, rock-hard mattress on top. I lay on this for about 20 minutes shortly after we arrived and my arm was hurting when I got up. We went down to reception to tell them we could not sleep on the bed, and they said they were 'changing the mattresses' and offered us another room with a 'new' mattress. We did change rooms, as the bed was very slightly better, with a tiny bit of padding, but after a short time lying on this it was extremely uncomfortable. We went down the next day to ask if we could change again, but we were informed that all the beds were the same in the hotel - however, we could see into some other rooms when we were walking past, and some beds looked much thicker and more solid, so perhaps you had to pay for a more expensive room to get a decent bed? In the end, we had to put the 2 blankets from the wardrobe on top of the mattresses, underneath the sheet, to give some padding. As I say, for a 4* hotel I think this is really shocking. It may have been ok for 2 or 3 nights, but for 7 nights it was depressing and kind of took the gloss off our stay at the hotel.

The location of the hotel was much further from the centre of Palma than I was expecting, but the number 3 bus was pretty frequent and the stop wasn't too far away. The hotel is up a hill, which had to be reached either by a steep incline by road or by around 60 steps plus a hill, depending on which way you walked. If you have walking/mobility issues, I would not recommend this hotel, unless you are prepared to get a taxi everywhere of course.

The pool area was decent, although there was a bit of a scramble for sunbeds at times. Drinks in the bar were cheap. We didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening or at lunch, but we had breakfast there twice (cost 13 euros each). There was quite a large selection at breakfast, including a chef making bizarre omelettes and pancakes.

The staff on reception always seemed to be harassed and busy, although they were competent and professional and sorted out non-mattress related problems promptly! (eg our wardrobe door was broken and one day we didn't get any towels left in our room at all, plus some items we hadn't ordered appeared on our final bill). Staff in the bar were all very friendly.

The hotel was clean, but you kind of got the feeling they had achieved 4 stars by the skin of their teeth - eg terrible cheap beds, cheapo toiletries in the bathroom (hotel own-brand shampoo/shower gel combo), there wasn't any touch of 'luxury'. Overall, I was disappointed and next time I go to Palma (which is a fantastic city) I would stay much closer to the centre.

1 Thank MsHMcr
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Having booked this hotel before reading the trip advisor reports, I was appehensive to say the least but it was not as bad as I feared. The hotel is most certainly not four star - the rooms were clean and adequate, the shower was excellent and the hair dryer in the bathroom is probably the best I have used in a hotel. Even though we arrived late and there was no food available the staff were very keen to point out places to eat nearby. The bar staff and the staff in the pool side snack bar were very good even though they were very busy, the front desk staff were not nearly as helpful and trying to get a late checkout , which they advertise at the desk was nigh impossible. Breakfast was not really appropriate for the british breakfast taste but the lady made a lovely omlette. View was excellent - but would I stay again, probably not.

Broxburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Spent six nights on the August Bank Holiday weekend at this hotel for an extended city break to spend time in Palma as when we came to Majorca as a young family we only saw the airport before heading to Cala D'Or or Puerta Pollensa etc. We had room 123 next to the stair and the cleaners cupboard! This meant we did not get a lie in after 8.00am as cleaner was busy getting mops etc organised. Room was fine, good size and clean although some of the furniture etc was showing its age with veneer peeling along the bottoms of the bed side tables. We did not ask for a sea view but our balcony was on the side of the hotel so we did get a view of the port and across the bay which was good. Small episode when we arrived as they could not find our booking initially and everything was discussed in Spanish too quick for me to follow but we got there in the end.
Buffet breakfast was really good value with plenty of choice and omelettes and pancakes etc cooked to order at the grill.
We ate once on the terrace at lunchtime and in the restaurant on two nights for dinner and found the food in general to be of a good quality with plenty of choice.
We experienced good service throughout our stay at the hotel and would go back again even though it was a 20-30 minute walk into Palma proper. No 3 bus from below hotel takes you into tgown in a little over five minutes and the No 1 from Porto Pi takes you to the airport in 20 -25 minutes.
It is a bit of a trek up the hill from the bus but we did not find it too much trouble even though I have bad arthritis and walking can be painful at times but we managed to walk into Palma and back okay.
All in all a good overall hotel providing the basic requirements well most of the time with a cheery smile from the staff.

Room Tip: If you don;t want to pay for a sea view then a room to the side and front will still give a reasonab...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple