Catalonia Majorica Hotel
Palma Suites(Palma de Mallorca)
$288
  • Pool
Hotel Isla Mallorca & Spa(Palma de Mallorca)
$121
  • Pool
HM Jaime III(Palma de Mallorca)
$138
$126
Official website
  • Breakfast included
Melia Palma Marina(Palma de Mallorca)
$147
$143
  • Pool
Gran Melia Victoria(Palma de Mallorca)
$231
$207
  • Pool
Innside By Melia Palma Bosque(Palma de Mallorca)
$183
$135
  • Pool
Hotel Palma Bellver Managed By Melia(Palma de Mallorca)
$159
$138
  • Pool
Boutique Hotel Can Cera(Palma de Mallorca)
$346
$261
  • Restaurant
Posada Terra Santa(Palma de Mallorca)
$274
  • Breakfast included
$385
  • Room Service
1,700 results
All reviewsporto pifunicular liftsea viewsteep hillstreet levelthe busindoor pooljoan miroterrace barpalma centreshort breakreception stafffantastic viewsold townlovely hotelpool towelsbus service
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We had 7 nights at this hotel. The bed in our room was absolutely awful - a thin, metal-framed cot structure, the base was about 3 inches deep, which you would expect to find in a dorm of a hostel, not a 4* hotel, with an awful, thin, rock-hard mattress on top. I lay on this for about 20 minutes shortly after we arrived and my arm was hurting when I got up. We went down to reception to tell them we could not sleep on the bed, and they said they were 'changing the mattresses' and offered us another room with a 'new' mattress. We did change rooms, as the bed was very slightly better, with a tiny bit of padding, but after a short time lying on this it was extremely uncomfortable. We went down the next day to ask if we could change again, but we were informed that all the beds were the same in the hotel - however, we could see into some other rooms when we were walking past, and some beds looked much thicker and more solid, so perhaps you had to pay for a more expensive room to get a decent bed? In the end, we had to put the 2 blankets from the wardrobe on top of the mattresses, underneath the sheet, to give some padding. As I say, for a 4* hotel I think this is really shocking. It may have been ok for 2 or 3 nights, but for 7 nights it was depressing and kind of took the gloss off our stay at the hotel.

The location of the hotel was much further from the centre of Palma than I was expecting, but the number 3 bus was pretty frequent and the stop wasn't too far away. The hotel is up a hill, which had to be reached either by a steep incline by road or by around 60 steps plus a hill, depending on which way you walked. If you have walking/mobility issues, I would not recommend this hotel, unless you are prepared to get a taxi everywhere of course.

The pool area was decent, although there was a bit of a scramble for sunbeds at times. Drinks in the bar were cheap. We didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening or at lunch, but we had breakfast there twice (cost 13 euros each). There was quite a large selection at breakfast, including a chef making bizarre omelettes and pancakes.

The staff on reception always seemed to be harassed and busy, although they were competent and professional and sorted out non-mattress related problems promptly! (eg our wardrobe door was broken and one day we didn't get any towels left in our room at all, plus some items we hadn't ordered appeared on our final bill). Staff in the bar were all very friendly.

The hotel was clean, but you kind of got the feeling they had achieved 4 stars by the skin of their teeth - eg terrible cheap beds, cheapo toiletries in the bathroom (hotel own-brand shampoo/shower gel combo), there wasn't any touch of 'luxury'. Overall, I was disappointed and next time I go to Palma (which is a fantastic city) I would stay much closer to the centre.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MsHMcr
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Having booked this hotel before reading the trip advisor reports, I was appehensive to say the least but it was not as bad as I feared. The hotel is most certainly not four star - the rooms were clean and adequate, the shower was excellent and the hair dryer in the bathroom is probably the best I have used in a hotel. Even though we arrived late and there was no food available the staff were very keen to point out places to eat nearby. The bar staff and the staff in the pool side snack bar were very good even though they were very busy, the front desk staff were not nearly as helpful and trying to get a late checkout , which they advertise at the desk was nigh impossible. Breakfast was not really appropriate for the british breakfast taste but the lady made a lovely omlette. View was excellent - but would I stay again, probably not.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Spent six nights on the August Bank Holiday weekend at this hotel for an extended city break to spend time in Palma as when we came to Majorca as a young family we only saw the airport before heading to Cala D'Or or Puerta Pollensa etc. We had room 123 next to the stair and the cleaners cupboard! This meant we did not get a lie in after 8.00am as cleaner was busy getting mops etc organised. Room was fine, good size and clean although some of the furniture etc was showing its age with veneer peeling along the bottoms of the bed side tables. We did not ask for a sea view but our balcony was on the side of the hotel so we did get a view of the port and across the bay which was good. Small episode when we arrived as they could not find our booking initially and everything was discussed in Spanish too quick for me to follow but we got there in the end.
Buffet breakfast was really good value with plenty of choice and omelettes and pancakes etc cooked to order at the grill.
We ate once on the terrace at lunchtime and in the restaurant on two nights for dinner and found the food in general to be of a good quality with plenty of choice.
We experienced good service throughout our stay at the hotel and would go back again even though it was a 20-30 minute walk into Palma proper. No 3 bus from below hotel takes you into tgown in a little over five minutes and the No 1 from Porto Pi takes you to the airport in 20 -25 minutes.
It is a bit of a trek up the hill from the bus but we did not find it too much trouble even though I have bad arthritis and walking can be painful at times but we managed to walk into Palma and back okay.
All in all a good overall hotel providing the basic requirements well most of the time with a cheery smile from the staff.

Room Tip: If you don;t want to pay for a sea view then a room to the side and front will still give a reasonable view of the port.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We have spent 3 nights in this hotel last week. I had decided to write a long review on here as soon as I got back.

This hotel definitely is not a four stars standard! I would say more of a 3 star (maximum!) the room itself, the sea view and food were average. However, The customer service was absolutely appalling!! Probably the worst customer service I have ever come across in my life!!

The staff didn't smile, didn't want to talk to the customers and were really unfriendly and unhelpful when you speak to them. Our patio door lock was broken, it was really unsafe as people could easily climbed into our balcony n come into our room. They gave us another room which was dusty and the air conditioning was not working! We went back to speak to the reception again and they said they couldn't do anything else! It was 2am n we were tired and annoyed but we couldn't sleep properly cos we were afraid that somebody could climbed into our balcony easily (we stayed at low floor) n came through the patio door.

The next morning we went back to reception and spoke to the staff, they promised they would get the door fixed in 2 hours time but didn't apologize with the inconvenience that had caused us. No compensation (free breakfast or late checkout service) offered to keep the customers happy.

When asked about the late checkout (20euros extra), nobody could make the decision and they said it all depends on whether hotel is fully booked or not!! And said we need to ask the manager directly. What is the point of telling customers about the late checkout service when you cannot let them have it?!?!  We were disappointed and furious at the same time. As we didn't want to waste time hanging around in the hotel, they promised us that they would leave the manager a message regarding the late checkout and would get back to us the next day (which they never did!!)

In the end, we decided to check out at normal time and just wanted to leave this trap (hotel) sooner. As We were waiting to checkout, there's this couple in front of us asking for late checkout and the staff replied them exactly the same thing as they had said to us!! I hope they had a better experience than what we had!

I had stayed at a small 3 star hotel in Granada, Spain in June and everything as well as the staff are brilliant. Hotel Catalonia seriously needs to retrain their staff if they want to stay as a four star hotel. I personally will not return to this hotel (not in a million years!) after this trip.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank gimme_the_cookies
Xisco68, Director General at Catalonia Majorica Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Dear guest, I would like to thank you all your comments about our hotel in tripadvisor because this feedback stimulates us to continue with the pursuit of improvement in the service for our clients.

I can ensure you that I will do my best, together with my hotel team, in order to check and of course solve all points that you have mentioned in your post. Please, let me apologise for all the inconvenients that we caused to you. We will try as hard as possible to satisfy our guests expectations.

Expressing again my gratitude to you because your comments give us the oportunity to improve, yours faithfully

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We just spent 3 nights at this hotel last week and although there are pro's I would rate this an average hotel considering its 4 star rating. The service was pretty bad and the food was horrendous. We decided to get food/drinks one early evening and the food was the worst tapas I have ever eaten in my life. It was basically all re-heated in a microwave, nothing was fresh and I couldn't get it down it tasted so bad. The location was pretty good. There is a bus below that we used all the time. It may have been a little better if it was closer to the old town. Hotel was conveniently located for the boat we had to take to Ibiza since it's right on the port. The view was amazing though. That was definitely the best part. I would look to stay somewhere else if I came back to Palma de Mallorca. Good luck!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple