“Smart hotel”

Melia Palas Atenea
Ranked #25 of 74 Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This hotel looks nothing special from the roadside but its a different story once you are inside. You are greeted by a large modern lobby area with a bar and reception area. Reception staff were very swift and polite. We found our allocated room was a twin and not a double as booked and this was quickly rectified by reception staff. We paid a bit extra for a front facing view and it was worth it for the view itself. The room was very clean and modern with a massive bed. It also had everything you would expect in terms of a good hotel room - hair dryer, safe and mini bar. The pool was a good size with plenty of loungers, however it would benefit from some more parasols as these were few and far between. We decided not to book for breakfast. There is a tapas restaurant attached to the front of the hotel that serve a good selection of breakfast at a reasonable price. There are a number of bars next to the hotel that are quite lively the closer to the weekend you get. Even though we were at the front of the hotel we never noticed any noise from the road or the neighbouring bars. It took us about 30 mins to walk to Palma centre / cathedral. A taxi from the airport was 20 euros but there is an airport bus which passes the hotel.

Room Tip: Pay for a front facing room, the views over the marina are worth it
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vicky2405
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Dear Vicky2405,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write to us and let us know your comments. We let you know that your opinion is very important for us.

It is very pleasant for us to know that you have enjoyed at the Meliá Palas Atenea in a Sea view room with the Bay of Palma and Cathedral view, recently renovated few months ago.

Referring to our staff, they are always the key to the success due to the professionalism. We are very fortunate about that.

Concerning the Hotel location and the views, as you could see the Hotel is located very close to the city center that you can go walking along the sea promenade. Also you can find a shopping centre very near. It is a very nice place where you can relax and enjoy. The Hotel is adjoining the most important places in Palma.

Hoping we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again at our Hotel in the future.

Guest Experience Manager – Meliá Palas Atenea

Write a ReviewReviews (1,995)

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My friend & I stayed here for 3 nights (Thurs to Sun) early July 2013. We paid £238 each including flights from Manchester and I felt that I had received good value for money.

Some reviewers state that this is not a 4* property, I believe it is - it has all the facilities that you would expect from a 4* (pool towels, 24hr reception, wi-fi, room service etc,) and star ratings are often based mostly on facilities rather than cosmetic look/feel.

Based on my experience however, I would say that the rooms are dated and in need of general refurb - ours was clean, and well provisioned (TV, maid service, toiletries restocked, pillow menu etc.) but did have dreary yellow walls, too many mirrors and 70's style carpet - which I think would lead to many people considering it not up to scratch.

Location - 20 euros/15 mins in a taxi from Palma airport, overlooking Marina, some bars & restaurants along the same strip but around 30 mins walk to more central bars/restaurants/shops. It's not somewhere I would recommend for a "holiday" as such, but great for a couple of nights away in the sun.

Pool - good size & pool towels are provided (great if you're on a short break and only taking carry on) but not enough loungers, people reserve those that are there (including on at least one account someone working at the hotel) and we found that unless you were by the pool by 8am you had no chance of a lounger. Tip: take the loungers nearest to the road if you want to stay tanning until 6pm/7pm ish

Staff - in our experience, very friendly, helpful & professional

Breakfast - we found it cheaper to pay hotel on check-in for all 3 days breakfast than booking beforehand (it worked out EUR 10 each per day fro full buffet breakfast)

Room view - we were on the side, so had to lean to see the sea & overlooked a side street - fine for us but if you enjoy sitting/relaxing on balcony then pay extra for a full sea view

Other clientele - mostly non British Europeans, a couple of families but mostly couples, or small groups of friends, a stag do did arrive on the Saturday of our trip but were relatively mellow.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vicki T

Dear Vicki T,

By the way, let you know that at the moment we have the majority of our Hotel rooms renovated, since February, and we are adding a new style in other facilities, like the pool and the hall. We work hard every day to make you feel like at home. For this reason, your comments will help us identify areas in which we can improve the quality standards in our services.

Referring to the location, we are close to the best places in Palma de Mallorca. The hotel offers one of the most beautiful sea, cathedral and promenade views. The shopping centre, monuments and the airport are very near from the hotel. It is a nice place to relax and enjoy at the same time.

Concerning our staff, it is a pleasure for us to have proffessional people working to offer you the best treatment ever you had.

We invite you to know the new refurbished style and the new renovated rooms in our website.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights. The hotel is an easy bus ride from the aiport or only 20euro from the airport. We had a grand premium delux room which is modern, clean, big bathroom and has a fab view of the port and cathedral. It overlooks the pool and outdoor restaurant and bar but is not noisey.
Great restaurants are within easy walking distance and there are bars on the doorstep. The bus stops outside which can take you into town (only a 20 walk along port anyway) or to the beach. 106 takes 10 mins to get to Palma Nova or further on is Magalluf. We ate in the pool side place when we arrived and food was good, there is also a tapas attached but didnt try it as there are so many nice places close by. Palma city is lovely with many shops, bars and restuarants, its a 5euro cab ride if you dont feel like walking from the hotel. I had a lovely massage at the spa. The only downside is that you have to be up very early to get a bed by the pool, but this is to be expected in a city hotel. Thats why we went to the beach. Overall i would deffinatley stay here again.

Room Tip: Go for a higher graded room which is modern and has a great view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank traceysangster
Hotel Meliá Pal... M, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Palas Atenea, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear traceysangster,

It is a pleasure to receive these kindly words. We always be aware of the success of our hotel is due to all our customers, so in this case, it is a pleasure for us to receive your appreciation.
First of all, we are located in one of the best places in the city of Palma, because of the great sea views and cathedral and promenade also. The shopping centre is near from here and the beach is few minutes by bus which you can take at the back of the hotel. It is a nice place to relax and enjoy, depends on your own.

On the other hand, we are near to bars and restaurants, where you can taste different kind of food. We would like to inform you about our different thematic dinners at our terrace two days per week, where you can enjoy the cuisine selection by our chef. If you come back to Palma de Mallorca, do not hesitate to visit our terrace again.

Hoping you will visit once more the city of Palma and the Meliá Palas Atenea Hotel in the future.

Guest Experience Manager- Meliá Palas Atenea

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel before and really enjoyed it. Four years on we returned for three nights and overall had a nice stay. Our room was quiet and comfortable with a big bed, the large welcoming lobby is always peaceful and relaxing and a lovely place to have a drink at the bar, and the hotel is well located, with lots of good restaurants nearby and good bus links to the centre of Palma and the airport. We also enjoyed the breakfasts, but this brings me to the one big negative point: we had three breakfasts and at all three, one of the waiters decided to help himself to food and drink. This included shoving his hand into the nuts and then shovelling them into his mouth, (unhygienic as well as rude), eating various cakes and bread and - worst of all - opening a bottle of champagne, not for guests, but so he could pour himself a glass. This behaviour was brazen and extremely rude. The management should sort this out. Such a shame as overall it was a good stay but these incidents left us with a bad taste in our mouths (unlike the waiter whose mouth no doubt tastes of nuts and champagne).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AndyGC

Dear AndyGC,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write to us and let us know your satisfaction. We let you know that your opinion is very important for us.

We would like to thank you your loyalty with us.

We are very grateful for your comments. We always be aware of the success of our hotel is due to all our customers, so in this case, it is a pleasure for us to receive your appreciation. We are very fortunate for that. Our main objective is to improve every day and make our guests feel like at home.

I am very sorry for your perception about the breakfast staff. This point is very value for our guests. Maybe it could be a misunderstanding. In spite of, we will check it with the breakfast staff and we let them know your comments.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

The room was so bad , we booked for 5 days, stayed one night an booked out the next morning . Family room was so bad I could not let my 2 year old on the carpet. Was offered a different family room but was told thay are all the same. As we where only staying 5 nights we lost a day sorting out a different hotel.we was charged 190 euro for the first night ,we arrived at 12.30 saturday night an left the next morning, I was upset about that as the manager agreed with us on the state of the room.
I would not recommend this hotel to any one .

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Katebarber

Dear Katebarber,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write us and let us know your opinion. We let you know that your opinion is very important for us.

We would like to inform you that we are renovating our rooms. We have modern and comfortable furniture without carpet. We are in a transitional stage in which the family rooms are not renovated. We hope renovate them in the near future.

You can see the new designed rooms in our website.

Gest Experience Manager – Meliá Palas Atenea

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I just checked in today and am staying 4 nights, thank goodness. This is a hotel I will never come back to. Nothing really bad has happened but for a 4 star, it does not live up to its stars! Perhaps, Spain has a different rating system. It is 2 star for me.

On arrival, it took forever to check in, I dread to think what would happen during peak hours or if you have to leave to catch a plane.

The next disappointment came when we got to our room. We did not pay the upgrade cos I am attending a business meeting here and will be out most of the time. Well, our room has a 'lovely view' of the run-down buildings at the back of the hotel. I understand that there are different rooms and that the premium ones face the sea and are better. However, while walking by to the lifts, I peaked into an open seaview room and although the furnishings are modern, having just been refurbished, it did not look really 4 star, in my opinion. I suppose the stunning view makes up for it. The only justification I can see for the good ratings is that the reviewers have not travelled extensively before. Opinions are afterall, relative and compared to what you have experienced before.

I certainly can't agree with the other reviewers. Here's why:

While sitting in our bedroom, I could hear the water from the bathroom while my husband was showering - really loud. And when I was in the bathroom, I heard every word the guests in the neighbouring room said. The wall is just thin plaster. It was like they was in our room!

The pool is not that great either. It closes at 6pm, the sun disappears behind the building shortly before 6pm and there aren't enough loungers as others have commented before.

It's 7pm now and I can hear some music coming from the bars on the street below. Guess we won't be sleeping much tonight. I asked for a quiet room and the receptionist said 'wherever you are it will be noisy!'

I haven't had breakfast yet. Hear it is great. Let's see tomorrow,

All in all, the whole hotel is aging and they will have to do a lot more than just upgrade the rooms, to get repeat customers.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank franinmuc

Dear bulleta,

Firstly, I do apology for any inconvenience. I am very sorry for your perception. Every day we work very hard to make feel our guests like at home.

On the one hand, the hotel has a check-in procedure thought to wait the minimum.
Even so we have peak hours. I am sure that our front desk staff did their best for you.

For now, we only have a few rooms renovated. We invite you to see the differents tipologys os room in our website.

Once more time, I do apologize and hoping we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again at our Hotel in the future.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Fantastic location, ideal for walking into the town, strolling along the promenade and marina. Numerous stop off tapas bars and coffee houses. Beautiful views everywhere you look.
Modern hotel, classy decor. Wow comfy beds and pillows.
Well situated pool overlooking the marina.
Pool side bar serving snacks and drinks although no cocktails.
Fabulous choice of breakfast.
Perfect stay for a long weekend.

Room Tip: Go for sea view refurbished room. Higher the better.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Nurseie

Dear Nurseie,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write us and let us know your satisfaction and for your kind words. We let you know that your opinion is very important for us.

We always be aware of the success of our hotel is due to all our customers, so in this case, it is a pleasure for us to receive your appreciation. We are very fortunate for that. Our main objective is to improve every day and make our guests feel like at home, for this reason and only getting comments like yours, it is for us like saying that “our track direction and good way go together”.

Referring to the cocktails, I would like to inform you that we have a cocktail list, the best ones have been selected for our guests and we offer them in the new Blue Lounge, located in the hall of the hotel, close to the entry. We offer it too in our Pool Bar.

I would like to thank you again for trusting our hotel and hope have fulfilled your expectations. We hope to give us the opportunity to welcome you again soon in our establishment.