We have been going to Palma regularly over the last few years and have always stayed in hotels within 10/15 minutes walking distance of city centre and main restaurant area. However this year we got a great deal from Alpharooms on the Melia Palas Atenea and decided to give it a try even although it is much further, 20/25 minutes, along the seafront from centre.
The hotel has a vast reception hall area with dark wood and light plasterwork. We found it impressive, and not as some reviewers have said, as being 1970/80's. There is a circular bar and lounge area in corner of reception hall which we found rather lacking atmosphere, so had drinks elsewhere. Cannot comment on previous reviewers suggesting bar prices expensive.
The reception staff were very pleasant and helpful with any queries or problems. However a word of warning, the hotel operates alternate smoking and non-smoking bedroom floors. We arrived late and after being allocated a sea view room on the 5th floor, which had good views of the Marina and cruise liner terminal, we went out for dinner. It was only in the morning we realised the 5th floor was all smoking rooms. We had requested a non-smoking room but because we were only staying 5 nights didn't go through hastle of changing rooms. The rooms are of a reasonable size and adequately furnished, also a large flat screen TV, but few english language channels.
The buffet breakfast offers a good selection of hot and cold food with the biggest choice of pastries and cakes we have seen in a hotel. The Majorcan food area in buffet was a nice touch. There is also cava and rioja available as part of the buffet breakfast. We didn't have dinner in the hotel as we prefer to visit restaurants we have discovered through the years. The hotel did offer a 3 course dinner with a drink (very restricted choice) for 17 Euros which is extremely cheap for Palma.
The pool area is restricted in size, as in all Palma seafront hotels, as they are located on 2nd or 3rd floors. We would recommend it is essential to pay for a sea view room, unless you don't intend to spend any time on balconies. This is because the side and rear rooms have absolutely no view apart from other buildings unless perhaps you are on top floors. There is a narrow road on side of hotel with 3 rather dubious nightclubs on the ground floor of hotel building (but not part of hotel), and at rear the ground floor rooms are below level of pavement, so no view, no sun, no privacy.
In conclusion we would recommend the Melia Palas Atenea, especially if walking distances to the city centre are not an issue. It is a pleasant walk along the promenade beside the sea and Marinas. Also you can get a No 3 bus for 1.25 Euros from behind hotel to city centre, rail and bus stations. Personally we still prefer one of the other solmelia hotels, purely on location, but would stay in the Melia Palas again if the deal offered was better than the others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ·Modern, bright rooms equipped with everything you need to enjoy a wonderful stay in Mallorca ·Fantastic new lobby area to enjoy a gin and tonic in the new Blue Lounge Bar ·YHI Spa with water circuit, 7 treatment rooms and a full gym measuring over 1,200 m2! * ·Delicious breakfast buffet with show cooking and breakfast area on the terrace to enjoy the views* ·Just 10 minutes from Palma de Mallorca airport and the main attractions in the city ·The best hotel in Mallorca for groups of over 300 people *extra charge ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Prodigios Interactivos SA, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Melia Palas Atenea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Palas Atenea Hotel Palma De Mallorca
- Melia Palma De Mallorca
- Melia Hotel Palas Atenea
- Melia Palas Atenea Palma De Mallorca, Majorca